1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 11-14-2010, 12:14 AM

GSG 1911 - Fiber Optic Front - Novak Rear

I am a little new to posting but I thought some of you might like this info.

Rear Sight: Adjustable Novak
GSG uses (very close to) Novak Rear Sight cut -
Novak .495 x 65 degree dovetail cut - can get on ebay or dawson precision - I installed an adjustable had to do a little filing to slide and sight but nothing severe fits great -- Will also take any Novak cut fixed - same thing just file to fit.

Front Sight: Fiber Optic
Uses Standard .330 x 65 X.075 dovetail base all over ebay or same dawson precision just a little filing and fits perfect. As for height
the GSG has three factory sights most use the 2 dot or 3 dot that comes with gun. if you gun uses the 2 dot .180 to .200 seems to work good - if you use the three dot .240 high works (dawson precision has them)

To Install front I didn't touch slide just filed sight and fit -- To install rear had to file both but file mostly on sight and a small amount on slide - Don't worry about filing aluminum slide for rear most of blueing will come off BUT Birchwood Aluminum Black work incredibably also great for touching up anthing on slide or steel sights --

I attached a few pictures but since I spend all my money on guns and bullets my camera stinks -- Hope this helped some of you --
Attached Thumbnails
IM002193.jpg   IM002195.jpg   IM002196.jpg   IM002201.jpg   IM002202.jpg  
Old 11-15-2010, 07:14 PM

Thanks for the info, was wondering about the front sight. Wouldn't normaly worry about it but it's plastic and i've been shooting from the holster so was worried about tearing up the plastic insert. Already changed the rear w/ an adjustable, I really like the sight picture now. I agree that there was a minimal filing on the sight and it fits great, really fairly simple.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stibob View Post
Uses Standard .330 x 65 X.075 dovetail base all over ebay or same dawson precision just a little filing and fits perfect.
Great job! I want to do the same but am having a hard time trying to find the FO front that you describe. Brownells is giving me a headache LOL. So far I only see the Caspian 60N Fiber Optic Sight that fits your description. When I check MidwayUSA, the sight dimentions you specified are quoted for Kimber, Les Baer, and XS. But when I check Kimber sights by EGW on Brownells it shows .070 depth not .075.
Could you or someone else please let me know which Fo front sight from Brownells will work on the GSG1911? I'm planning to visit my buddy in Detroit next weekend, so if I order ASAP it may arrive in time. TIA.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:28 AM

Great info, thanks for taking the initiative to post it. I have an adjustable Springfield rear sight for the Novak cut coming from Midway. I've also been debating on a replacement for the front as I can't stand the plastic sights. You've given me an option now, though I may still look for something other than FO. If you have any hints there, let me know.

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:52 PM

Fiber Opticfront up date

I used a .190 hght front (ebay) -- BUT Guns shoots high -- even with rear dial down -- I copied this from www.brazoscustoms.com

"If you are happy with how your gun is sighted in then you want to get a sight that has the same height as the one presently on your gun. If you want to change heights, you will have to do a little calculation to figure out what you need. To determine how much a change in front sight height will alter your point of impact, do the following calculation: divide the distance to the target in inches (at your desired sight-in distance) by your sight radius in inches. Take the resulting factor and multiply it by the change in sight height. This gives you change in impact. For example, if your gun has a 6-inch sight radius and you are sighting in at 25 yards, your factor would be 150 (900/6). If you change your sight height 0.010, your point of impact will change 1.5 inches (0.010 x 150). Armed with these measurements, you can now choose your sight from those available with a dovetail cut that matches your slide."

I'll be going to range with my calculator (LOL) in a few days but my guess from last outing is a .220 to .250 hgth front will make the gun shoot a little low than fine adjust with rear sight - once I do the math I'll get a front .010 to .020 higher than I need with rear sight at lowest level. This worked great on My STI Trojan and Kimber's

Dawson Precision has up to .250 hght front optic very good quality !!!!
http://www.dawsonprecision.com
Old 11-22-2010, 11:10 PM

Thanks for reply. My gun shoots high with 2-dot front sight, and low with 3-dot. But I never thought that an adjustable rear won't be able to take care of that problem. I am mostly concerned about the sight I'd pick having a wrong dovetail dimensions. As for Dawson precision, they're really good, but almost impossible to find in Canada these days. I'm looking at Brownells because they have no trouble shipping to Canada, if need be.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 11-25-2010, 02:59 AM

Quote:
I used a .190 hght front (ebay) -- BUT Guns shoots high -- even with rear dial down -- I copied this from www.brazoscustoms.com

"If you are happy with how your gun is sighted in then you want to get a sight that has the same height as the one presently on your gun. If you want to change heights, you will have to do a little calculation to figure out what you need. To determine how much a change in front sight height will alter your point of impact, do the following calculation: divide the distance to the target in inches (at your desired sight-in distance) by your sight radius in inches. Take the resulting factor and multiply it by the change in sight height. This gives you change in impact. For example, if your gun has a 6-inch sight radius and you are sighting in at 25 yards, your factor would be 150 (900/6). If you change your sight height 0.010, your point of impact will change 1.5 inches (0.010 x 150). Armed with these measurements, you can now choose your sight from those available with a dovetail cut that matches your slide."

I'll be going to range with my calculator (LOL) in a few days but my guess from last outing is a .220 to .250 hgth front will make the gun shoot a little low than fine adjust with rear sight - once I do the math I'll get a front .010 to .020 higher than I need with rear sight at lowest level. This worked great on My STI Trojan and Kimber's

Dawson Precision has up to .250 hght front optic very good quality !!!!
http://www.dawsonprecision.com

Stibob - very helpful post. Did you have to pin the front sight, or does it come with a pre-drilled hole, threaded and with set screw?

Thanks again.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:51 PM

Didn't have to pin front at all -- file fit it tight than put a tiny amount of loctite BLUE (Not Red) on bottom when I tapped it into place.

Well went to ranger did the math Need a .230 to .240 high Sight to get perfect -- the correct sight is ordered and coming on Friday --
.240 High & .125 Wide Dawson Fiber Optic --
Old 12-08-2010, 03:16 AM

Good luck with that. I installed the Springfield Armory rear adjustable with the Novak cut. Got a great fit and with using the tall front sight I'm about in the middle of the rear sight's range. So at least I know the right height to order when I get around to it.
Old 01-11-2011, 06:18 PM

Sorry to revive this thread after a month, but having so little experience with replacing sights, I thought I'd pose this question.

I have a GSG 1911-22 and I want to replace the front an rear sights with an adjustable rear and an appropriate FO front.

I have looked at this item (rear sight):
http://www.dawsonprecision.com/Produ...001-1149712617

And I believe it is correct for the GSG 1911-22, provided I get this item (front sight):
http://www.dawsonprecision.com/Produ...CA8-1278686454
"Dawson-Les Baer-Novak Fiber Optic Inserted Front Sight .200 Tall x .100 Wide, Match with DP or Factory Adjustable Rear 020-006
DP Front Sight"

Would this be correct items for the GSG 1911-22 (short of actually buying and installing to validate)?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:07 PM

I ended up buying an STI tactical adjustable rear with a mini dot for Kimber/Novak from the 1911 store (a.k.a. Brazos custom). The gun still shoots high, and the adjustable rear is at the very bottom. Instead of .200" mini dot, I should have bought a standard dot that's .240" high:http://www.1911store.com/lightningro...mbernovak.aspx
Old 01-14-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damonte View Post
I have looked at this item (rear sight):
http://www.dawsonprecision.com/Produ...001-1149712617
I really hate to keep hammering my question, but I don't have enough experience (yet) with the 1911 to know if I'm correct in my assessment. To those who have a GSG 1911-22, is it a fairly safe guess that the above sight will fit on a the GSG 1911-22?
Old 01-15-2011, 10:14 AM

Yes, they will fit with a bit of filing work.
Old 01-15-2011, 08:49 PM

I put in a Kensight (Champion sights) with .190" height. It actually took quite a bit of filing and some good whacks with a brass rod to get it to fit. I lined it up and it now looks good.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:44 PM

Newbie to 1911

Quote:
I am a little new to posting but I thought some of you might like this info.

Rear Sight: Adjustable Novak
GSG uses (very close to) Novak Rear Sight cut -
Novak .495 x 65 degree dovetail cut - can get on ebay or dawson precision - I installed an adjustable had to do a little filing to slide and sight but nothing severe fits great -- Will also take any Novak cut fixed - same thing just file to fit.

Uses Standard .330 x 65 X.075 dovetail base all over ebay or same dawson precision just a little filing and fits perfect. As for height
the GSG has three factory sights most use the 2 dot or 3 dot that comes with gun. if you gun uses the 2 dot .180 to .200 seems to work good - if you use the three dot .240 high works (dawson precision has them)

To Install front I didn't touch slide just filed sight and fit -- To install rear had to file both but file mostly on sight and a small amount on slide - Don't worry about filing aluminum slide for rear most of blueing will come off BUT Birchwood Aluminum Black work incredibably also great for touching up anthing on slide or steel sights --

I attached a few pictures but since I spend all my money on guns and bullets my camera stinks -- Hope this helped some of you --
Thanks for the helpful info. I am thinking of the adjustable rear-sight as per your info.

However My question is: What grips are those? From where? Did they fir right in without any fiddling (filing or scraping)? Is it any problem? (I heard that one has to be careful removing the left grip as there are things (springs?) that will jump out if one does not know what one is doing.
Today, I shot my new GSG 1911 .22 LR for the first time. Next Wednesday they (at the gun club range) will let me use the metal bench with Sandbag to zero in my handguns.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:35 AM

Very helpful thread...took the guess-work out of a lot of things.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardo View Post
Thanks for reply. My gun shoots high with 2-dot front sight, and low with 3-dot. But I never thought that an adjustable rear won't be able to take care of that problem. I am mostly concerned about the sight I'd pick having a wrong dovetail dimensions. As for Dawson precision, they're really good, but almost impossible to find in Canada these days. I'm looking at Brownells because they have no trouble shipping to Canada, if need be.

FYI DawsonPrecision export through
w ww.worldwidesportsnetwork.com/index.htm
Old 02-08-2011, 01:10 PM

My observations on this excellent .22lr 1911:

The above-mentioned Springfield rear sight (made by LPI) is the way to go for an adjustable sight. Unless you prefer a 6 o'clock hold, you will need to use a .230, .240 or .250 tall front sight. The easily-available ones (from Fusion) are only .190 high and the gun will shoot high. If you do not need or want fiber optic on the front, the tall sight supplied with the gun will work well with the Springfield adjustable sight.

If you use the Springfield sight, DO NOT use the locking screw provided to hold it in place in the slide. The aluminum under this screw is aluminum-foil thin. Any tightening will deform the top of the slide and prevent the firing pin from retracting under spring pressure, causing malfunctions. The factory sight has a metal plate between the screw and the slide for this reason.

If you change out the mainspring housing for a flat one, you will need a standard mainspring cap pin as the one on the GSG 1911 will not work.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardo View Post

Me too
Old 04-08-2011, 08:33 AM

Hi. I am a new member here and looking into getting new sights for my GSG 1911, but am a little confused by all the different sizes to get. Right now I am just using the factory sights and it is shooting a little high and I was wondering what would be the best size for me when I purchase my new sights? Thanks for the help.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:15 AM

Try the taller factory sights
Old 07-15-2012, 01:14 AM

Great thread. I just installed this rear sight on my Sig Sauer 1911 .22 a bit of filing and a nice snug fit.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarb View Post
Great thread. I just installed this rear sight on my Sig Sauer 1911 .22 a bit of filing and a nice snug fit.
Now, try the "nitesiters.com" website.
They have what I consider miracles, (OK, little miracles)
but well worth the try (and not expensive.)

The difference will be like between night and day.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:02 PM

Heres where i bought mine.

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=374850
Old 07-21-2012, 02:39 PM

Mine (Well.. Just made arrangements to sell..) has had the Dave Dawson recommended
.220H x .125W Red Front Fiber Optic on it since I built up my gun for Steel Challenge..
And the Dawson version of a Novak Combat adj. rear.. POA/ POI are perfect and I like them allot

"Those who live by the sword...
Are generally shot by those who do not..."