Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 01-07-2011, 08:30 AM

Brass quality???

SPEER-brass and nickel plated.......
Winchester.......
Federal......

Talking about .40 S&W......

what can you say about nickel plated brass.....
Old 01-07-2011, 08:39 AM
More Cowbell...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpinoy27 View Post
It cracks sooner than non-plated brass.

Other than that, not much to say.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

I've got one more thing to say about nickle plated brass.......I'll take all you'd like to send me.

NRA Life Member
Old 01-07-2011, 09:17 AM

Nickle brass can also leave scatches on the inside of your dies that will later appear on your brass when sizing. Any nickle plated brass I pick up at the range I give away.
Old 01-07-2011, 09:38 AM

Tom pretty much summed it up.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retarmyaviator View Post
Nickle brass can also leave scatches on the inside of your dies that will later appear on your brass when sizing. Any nickle plated brass I pick up at the range I give away.
I consider myself to be a high volume reloader. Been reloading since 1984. This has never been my experience. I use carbide dies primarily, and......I clean my brass.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:29 AM

i'd stay away from the new Blazer brass with small primer.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdragon52 View Post
i was going to ask about that brass....thought it was kind of odd, have them set aside while i was looking for a go/no go on them...i was gonna do em anyhow though. What is it that makes you say stay away
Old 01-07-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmotorsports View Post
i was going to ask about that brass....thought it was kind of odd, have them set aside while i was looking for a go/no go on them...i was gonna do em anyhow though. What is it that makes you say stay away
It can be quite a surprise when you try to cram a large primer into a small primer pocket. For those of us with progressive presses, it interrupts the flow of the process and distracts us from what we are doing. This can cause mistakes.

Bill
Utah & Enhanced Idaho CWP holder
COTEP# CBOB0476
Old 01-07-2011, 03:17 PM

I reload nickel brass just like the other brass I just dont get as many loads from it as it splits much sooner
NRA Life Member and NO I dont do Facebook
Old 01-07-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmotorsports View Post
loaded 10 of those bad boys(using same RCBS dies/Lee FCD) just to see how they would work in a tight kimber match barrel....well it was a no go.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
SPEER-brass and nickel plated.......
Winchester.......
Federal......

Talking about .40 S&W......

Not much to say about, it usually fails (like cracked case mouths) before plain brass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdragon52 View Post
The brass in question was for 40 S&W, so that's a non-issue for that caliber. But for 45 ACP it can be a major pain in the butt.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by herd48 View Post
I consider myself to be a high volume reloader. Been reloading since 1984. This has never been my experience. I use carbide dies primarily, and......I clean my brass.
Got you by about 4 years and I am a high volume reloader too. I use carbide dies and tumble clean the brass. Having to return a set of Dillon dies because of scratches caused by nickle brass taught me not to ever bring any more home. I either give it away or throw it in the garbage.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:36 PM

I don't like nickel plated brass

It can shed flakes. I had one on top of the primer punch and it dented several of my primers before I found it. Now I keep a close eye on the punch and keep it clean. Live and learn.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:22 PM

Thanks guys..... how about federal and winchester brass?......

the reason I started this thread is because I loaded 200 rnd last weekend and 3 of my FTfeed was speer brass-brass.....looks like its a little bit soft....it dented the case when it hit the corner between the ramp (para supported barrel)and the chamber.....that was before I polish my ramp and chamber with a dremmel and 600grit sand paper......I didn't have any issue with other brass ... just the speer....I have to try again this weekend with my speer brass.....and mixed headstamp brass....
Old 01-07-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrwdd View Post
It can be quite a surprise when you try to cram a large primer into a small primer pocket. For those of us with progressive presses, it interrupts the flow of the process and distracts us from what we are doing. This can cause mistakes.

Bill
Amen !!!
And dangerous too.

Have fun, Keep it safe
Old 01-07-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys..... how about federal and winchester brass?......

the reason I started this thread is because I loaded 200 rnd last weekend and 3 of my FTfeed was speer brass-brass.....looks like its a little bit soft....it dented the case when it hit the corner between the ramp (para supported barrel)and the chamber.....that was before I polish my ramp and chamber with a dremmel and 600grit sand paper......I didn't have any issue with other brass ... just the speer....I have to try again this weekend with my speer brass.....and mixed headstamp brass....
I have roughly 500 pieces of Winchester and 300 pieces of Federal floating around in my 45 ACP brass supply (I probably have 2000 cases total, separated by headstamp), and I haven't had any trouble with the Federal. The only "trouble" (maybe "peculiarity" would be better) I have wih Winchester is that some of the new brass (I've only noticed it since mid 2010) has tight primer pockets. I mean reaaaaaaaaaaally tight. And it's not a crimped in primer. After loading them a couple times the tightness goes away, and they load normally.

It's easy to tell the difference, the tight brass has the headstamp text in block/thick letters, whereas the normal brass has thin/fine lettering.

Has anyone else noticed this with Winchester brass?

As far as Speer brass, I haven't had any issues with it.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Mortimer View Post
It can shed flakes. I had one on top of the primer punch and it dented several of my primers before I found it. Now I keep a close eye on the punch and keep it clean. Live and learn.
I have the same problem. It took me days to figure out what was denting my primers, then i noticed a lot of my 38 special nickel brass was flakeing.
I do think the nickel feeds better into the die though, but still not worth it.
I'm glad I don't have any mixed in my 45 brass

Have fun, Keep it safe
Old 01-07-2011, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyUp View Post
The only "trouble" (maybe "peculiarity" would be better) I have wih Winchester is that some of the new brass (I've only noticed it since mid 2010) has tight primer pockets. I mean reaaaaaaaaaaally tight. And it's not a crimped in primer. After loading them a couple times the tightness goes away, and they load normally.

It's easy to tell the difference, the tight brass has the headstamp text in block/thick letters, whereas the normal brass has thin/fine lettering.

Has anyone else noticed this with Winchester brass?
In Winchester 40 S&W, yes I have seen some primer pockets so tight, a small pistol primer will get crushed before being seated.

There goes the quality control.

Bill
Utah & Enhanced Idaho CWP holder
COTEP# CBOB0476
Old 01-08-2011, 06:34 AM

Although I haven't used any new Winchester brass from 2010, I've always preferred Winchester and Starline.

After having issues with Federal, rifle brass, I'm pretty much staying away from all Federal brass.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:37 PM

Many of us Canadians are not fussy over different makes of brass, primers, powder or such. They are hard to obtain here in Western Canada.

Ran across an Austrain that said they did not have the access to powders like Americans & did shoot in competitions a bit different.

Came up with a powder that has been scratched by Winchester 452AA which I found out to have been eliminated back prior to the 80s. Being a shotshell powder I found out a shop had some 8 lb containers so bought one & tried them out for 38 Spl & 45ACP. Ideal so went back & bought off the other 8 lb containers.

A while ago I was running low on 939 so remembered I possibly had one 8 lb container of the 452AA. Yes I did, tried out the loads again & several friends of mine with 45s would like to obtain something equal. Only I have two empties & 1/4 of this one used up.

Last edited by Smythe; 01-08-2011 at 08:43 PM.