1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 11-21-2010, 12:13 AM

High visibility sights

OK, so I've been reading the forums, and seeing frequent discussion about which is better; Tritium night sights, or Fiber optics. The consensus seems to be that fiber optics excel if there is any background light, but in the dark Tritium rules.

The problem is, for a defensive gun anyway, you don't get to pick your conditions. And shooting in the dark without night sights sucks!

So, I had this bright idea. A hybrid sight. Surely it would be possible to put a Tritium lamp in a FO (tube? stick?) That would surely be the best of both worlds.

This morning I thought there is no way that I am the first to think of this, so I Googled:http://www.truglo.com Check out the TFO sights.

Now that I know they are out there, does anyone have any experience with them? Do they work? Are they durable?

The application is a home defense/carry weapon, with occasional competition use.

Scott
Old 11-21-2010, 01:59 AM

My opinion, and mine only, if its too dark to see the sights, its too dark to know your target.....

I find that for everyday shooting, most of the nightsights are detrimental to good shooting as there is too much for your eye to focus on, plain black, maybe a bead or night sight in front, but otherwise, too much.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:08 AM

TFO (tritium/fiber optic) sights have been out forever, have them on 3 GLocks....

Good idea, though....

(not very visible indoors, w/ low lighting....; even white dots better in low light)
Old 11-21-2010, 07:22 AM

I have Truglo TFO rear sight on my Sig 228. The only issue with TFO sights is they only come in green. So I have green TFO on the rear and a Truglo Fiber optic red front sight. You can see the sights under all conditions dark or in sunlight. I like Truglo's product alot, their F/O front sight is the only F/O sight that I haven't lost the element. All my 1911s(3) have F/O sights by others, and all have lost the front element at on time or another. It's gotten to the point that I always carry spare elements in my range kit. The Truglo F/O front sight cannot fall out as it's fully enclosed. It's for sure a better design than all the other front sight designs out there. I stay away from night sights, as I feel the same as what has been stated, that if it's too dark to see your sights then it's too dark to ID the threat without a white light source. If you are using a white light then you can see your sights. Night sights can tempt you to shoot without IDing the threat and that could be a very bad thing.
Old 11-21-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntotin_fool View Post
My opinion, and mine only, if its too dark to see the sights, its too dark to know your target.....

I find that for everyday shooting, most of the nightsights are detrimental to good shooting as there is too much for your eye to focus on, plain black, maybe a bead or night sight in front, but otherwise, too much.
I agree here. For me the perfect sights are plain black serrated rear with a Gold Bead front. You would be amazed at how much light that gold bead can find.

Besides that I never leave home without my Surefire Defender. If it's too dark for the gold bead I'm on my Surefire.
FFL Dealer
Old 11-21-2010, 10:14 AM

I thought about this over halloween when the product was very visible on the store shelves for costumes...

Gold Glitter Nail Polish
(instead of the usual white paint on the front sight)

It cleans off very easy, is also available in other colors (silver, red, green - etc) and it only costs between $3 - $9.00 per bottle.

The number one complaint (on product reviews) is that "the stuff comes off too easy"
(which for THIS application, I think would be a GOOD quality)

Old 11-21-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuto View Post
I agree here. For me the perfect sights are plain black serrated rear with a Gold Bead front. You would be amazed at how much light that gold bead can find.

Besides that I never leave home without my Surefire Defender. If it's too dark for the gold bead I'm on my Surefire.

Completely agree. The night sights I have, even fresh ones, are only visible (the glowing feature) in nearly complete darkness when I have no business shooting at anything anyway. As budget allows, I'm converting everything over to gold bead and all black rear sights, and as noted if its too dark for the bead to work, its gonna be point and shoot at very close range, probably indoors, with a Surefire.

I'd really like to hear from the pros--LEO and military--as to whether the tritium style glow-in-the-dark night sights have any real utility in actual tactical situations of if they're like a lot of other features now popular--tacticool, but functionally not very useful.
Old 11-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntotin_fool View Post

+1

That's why I have no interest in paying extra for night sights. That, and the fact that they lose their luminosity over time. I prefer a big fat white dot in the front and blacked out rear.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuto View Post

Yep. I have a gold bead on the front of all my 1911s (except my O1918).

I have a Novak gold bead paired with a factory black series 70 reissue rear.

A Novak rear with a Springfield Custom gold bead front.

A 10-8 NM rear with the Springfield Custom gold bead.

My EDC Glock has a plain black rear and a tritium front.

There are plenty of times in low light when you can see your target and not your sights. IE: If your in a shadow, if your outside and your target opens a door from a lighted room, if your in the ditch and your target is illuminated by headlights, scenarios are endless. If your eyes are are acclimated to the dark and you suddenly have some light, tritium helps.

That being said, I have no reservations about carrying a gun without tritium.
Old 11-21-2010, 05:43 PM

On one of my glocks, with really old burnt out night sights, I used a bottle of Day-glo orange nail polish for the front, and white nail polish for the rear.

.99 a bottle, and it was over a year ago.

Still nice and bright.

Jerry