1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-31-2010, 04:55 PM

4" Pro recoil Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainPacker View Post
I had terrible problems with nose dive feed jams. This was with HP as well as WWB FMJ ammo. After $2,000 in shipping, custom work and test ammo (mostly Hydrashok test ammo) and a year of screwing with it, here's the cause and cheap fix.

Problem:

The gun was cycling too fast for the magazine (Wilson, Kimber, CMC Powermag, Mec-Gar...) to lift the cartridges into proper position before being caught by the returning slide and pushed nose down into the frame just below the feed ramp.

Solution 1:

Switch to Tripp Cobramags. The incredibly powerful spring in those magazines and the higher height of the top round solved the feeding problem. They do, however, stick out quite a bit from the grip. They hang down the same as a Wilson 47D, but flair out wider. My solution for when I wanted more concealability was Tripp's upgrade kit placed in Wilson magazine tubes with the slim basepad. This gave me the improved spring and follower and a completely reliable 7 round, nearly flush fit magazine.

Solution 2:

The new XP spring from Wolff designed specifically for the 4" Kimbers slowed down the cycle time enough that now it runs with all the magazines, even a Wilson 47D loaded 8+1 with Gold Dot (widest HP mouth I had) hollow points. I have no doubt it would also run with Corbons, but I didn't have any for tesing and since I prefer the GD, I didn't want to buy them just for the accademic exercise.

Conclussion:

It's now a COMPLETELY RELIABLE $3,000 Kimber Eclipse Pro Target II. If you have the same problem and can learn from my experience, you can solve the same problem for $100 worth of magazines or $8 for a spring.

Happy shooting.
I have talked with an "old pro" at Wolff springs about the 4" Kimber Pro pistols and the issues with the recoil spring. It goes back many years.
Kimber does buy their springs from Wolff. BUT, they are using what they insisit on using NOT what Wolff fixed for them a long time ago.
The Wolff spring # 32725 IS the correct spring for this particular pistol. It will fix many of the feeding issues.
Also....use only 7 rnd mags..IF you want consistant and reliable pistol operation. Yes, some of you may be OK with your 8 rnd mags you have, but, in the long run, there are reasons why the 7 rnd mags are what you need to depend on. Call Dave at Wolff Springs and he will explain.