1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > New Member Introductions

Old 08-18-2010, 02:12 AM

new guy with the same problems as everyone else.

Welp, here I am, awaiting my pistol permit print out, and im stuck.

I was going to buy an hk45, or a FNP45.

then i got my eyes on an RIA 1911.

does anyone know how the frame is made? where can i find real info on the construction of this pistol??

Reason why i ask is because everyone swore by them, then i went to one shop, and they completely knocked it. Utterly knocked it sayin cheap materials and they break quick.

thats what i really need to know. lol

Also, i own a bunch of rifles, and do a lot of target practicing with my families pistols. Ive had a lot of time on pistols and know that a 45 and a polymer aint bad, but dang does that 1911 look pretty!
Old 08-18-2010, 06:43 AM

I would go to a different shop. Sounds like to me they are trying to move some either higher priced models or stuff that is not selling.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:17 AM

Welcome! You will find the RIA has a loyal following here for good reason and shortly they will jump in here as soon as they have their morning coffee with more than enough information about the RIA 1911.

Patrick Henry
Old 08-18-2010, 08:05 AM

Yes, there are a lot of RIA fans here. But you can't hide the truth...they're foreign made and they're the most inexpensive 1911 available. Some swear by them and some you couldn't GIVE one to. Like everything, it comes down to what you're looking for and what you're personal preferences are. If you take the slide off of a RIA and compare what you see to a Kimber, you're likely to see a big difference in the overall quality of finish. That said, Kimber's least expensive gun is going to cost you $700 or more. Again, what exactly are you looking for here? A carry gun? A range gun? A HD gun? Also, be careful...you bring home one 1911 and it's going to infect you with an addiction that only more 1911's can help. Hope this helps.
S&W M&P15 5.56 / S&W M&P15-22 / Marlin 336 .30-30 / Savage 3D .22
Old 08-18-2010, 08:52 AM

Hi everyone I am currentley looking at a rock island 1911 for my (14 year old) son , I have a kimber pro cdp ii ,a para ltc ,a colt defender and and a sig GSR .
I let him shoot all my guns but I know he would like one he can call his own ,one that I don't have to worry about getting a little beat up and I really like to keep my guns in mint condition and try to teach him to handle my guns with care but sometimes things can happen at the range and I would like to be able to take him to the range and not have to worry about him setting my guns down on a spent shell or knocking it around . so any info on this would be a great help or maybe you might know of another inexpensive 1911 that he can bang around .don't get me wrong he has great respect for guns and usually treats them with much care but sometimes thing happen and when breaking them down to clean them sometimes parts can be scratched as he like to talk while cleaning my guns and sometimes not pay attention where he's setting the parts maybe Im to anal but with the prices of some of these gun little scratches drive me nuts.

Thanks everyone