1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Rock Island Armory

Old 07-11-2010, 08:43 AM

Help me figure out what is wrong

Okay, so I recently bought a lightly used Rock Island Comp Tac. The first problem is that it rarely ever locks back on any magazine. I figure this is the slide lock and it is no big deal.

The second problem is that I have lots of failures to return to battery with my reloads. A little nudge on the back of the slide will usually send it home but the occassional round will have to be extracted and then sometimes will feed on the next try. Feeding is only a problem with Nosler 185 JHPs mostly, I believe , because they are on the short side. The other bullet that I have been using, up until now is a 200 grain LRNFP. The good news is that it works fine with my my carry rounds, both Remington and Winchester Hollow points. While the loads might be a little lighter than the factory HPs, I don not believe this the problem. So, here is the thing, these loads all work very well in my 5 other 1911s.

My guess is that it either needs a new recoil spring or it needs a throat job. What do you guys think? What weight spring should I get for a 3 1/2" gun? Before anyone says it, I have app. 300 rounds through it right now and I have loaded up 400 more that I will be taking to the range today, weather permitting. I loaded up 200, 230 gr. XTP Hollow points over 5.1 grains of bullseye. This profile and length hand fed throught the gun quite well. I also set the 185s out a little further and increased the load to 5.5.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:58 AM

I have noticed that my CS is not as forgiving as my FS as far as chamber tolerances. I would recommend that you run all your bullets through a sizer. I noticed on my loads that FTRTB there is a slight bulge from a very slightly out of spec bullet.

I'll load them in my FS and the chamber and fire fine. I have the Matte Nickel, my father, the two tone. Out of the box, the two tone handled everything much better. I have ~1000 rounds through my nickel and no longer have issues.

We have already made the decision to size all the bullets before loading. Consistency will make all the difference.
Old 07-11-2010, 07:30 PM

Your pistol uses a 22lb recoil spring, the wolff #used to be 49022 I don't know it is now, you have a lot of variables that you are working with, I can't help you with you reloading, just keep shooting keep your slide greased or oiled, you may want to polish your feed ramp, barrel throat and chamber.don't take any metal off just polish. keep us posted .