1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Springfield Armory

Old 01-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiparks View Post
That does indeed have character.
It's also the first melonited pistol I've seen that shows any kind of wear. Is your holster lined with broken glass and rusty nails ?
I've been toting mine around and shooting thousands of rounds for over 2 years and mine still looks like new.
Which I was glad about, but then I saw yours...
He probably does a significant amount of presentations with it, which will of course wear the finish quicker than just range time and CCW'n.

Either way, it looks classy with that wear, I think.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:25 PM

Location: Land of mists and mellow fruitfulness...oh, and rain. Lots.
completely agree, his gun looks magnificent.
It was more just a Q regards the durability of the melonite, as his is the first example I've seen to show significant wear.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:23 PM

I thought I should take a new picture of my Custom Carry since it no longer looks like the picture I originally posted.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian James View Post
I thought I should take a new picture of my Custom Carry since it no longer looks like the picture I originally posted.

That is sweet - I'm dying to get mine. About 11.5 months left to go (I just ordered it)
Old 01-10-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Looking good CJ. I really like those grips. How is the parkerizing holding up? Do you carry it daily? As I said before, your posts were some of the main reasons I went with my custom carry. For the money, I don't think it can be beat.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dos Cylindros View Post
Looking good CJ. I really like those grips. How is the parkerizing holding up? Do you carry it daily? As I said before, your posts were some of the main reasons I went with my custom carry. For the money, I don't think it can be beat.
Thanks. They're made from Koa, a wood from Hawaii that traditional weapons were made from. When I saw these gorgeous grips I knew that they would be just perfect for a fighting pistol.

The parkerizing is holding up well. I don't carry it at all, it hasn't even seen the inside of a holster as I don't have a CCW. And you're right, the CC is a best buy.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
You know after all the features and custom shop work..... after its all said and done. Your pistol just out classes them all. Don't fix it, if it ain't broken.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:29 PM

Awesome thread, it's nice to one central thread for just Custom Shop guns. I've got one ready to be shipped off myself.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:00 PM

a couple more pics of the Heinie/Springfield custom shop collaboration from p4

it's beautifully put together, as E5MC said, every internal part is numbered and fitted to the gun.

It's a great shooter too, about 700 faultless rounds through it so far...
Old 01-14-2010, 09:40 PM

Just curious, but there was something they did with my weapon that I didn't really ask for but really like and would like to make sure I mention it for my next custom build. Was wondering if there is a specific term or name for it so I know how to ask for it.

But do you know how some people like the slide stop end to be cut flush with the frame? I never really liked that because I like to put my fingertip on this nub when my finger is off the trigger. What SA did was cut it down so ONLY the curved part of it stuck out. Normally it sticks out more and then the end is curved. They made it so only the curved part sticks out. I really like that, it's clean looking and I still have something to put my trigger finger on.

How would you go about requesting that?
Old 01-15-2010, 06:25 PM

Flush cut slide stop pin.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:03 PM

Send Deb a Pic of what you are looking for and they will get it done! A flush cut will be like on the "professional" Model according to your post you want it like the Heinie collaboration below~Correct?
Old 01-15-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E5MC View Post
Flush cut slide stop pin.
I'm specifically asking NOT to flush cut the slide stop pin...

@HRT, yah, you got the idea. I guess I'll just send them a pic of the one I just got from them. I don't want to "assume" they will do it again, want to specify it.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:27 PM

Hey KJ, it's the countersinking of the ss the pin hole in the frame that's giving you that wonderful effect. Ask for a flush cut ss and ask them to countersink the ss pin hole in the frame. Then attach the image of what yours that you love looks like .

If you put it in words AND in pictures, surely you'll all have a good understanding .
Old 01-18-2010, 06:23 PM

Here's the one on my Valtro. The end of the pin has been rounded rather than just cut flush.
It looks nicer and makes reassembly easier. With the "blunter" ends you have to wriggle the top end about to get everything perfectly aligned . The rounded end slips through more easily.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:03 PM

So I was cruisin the modified mil-spec & GI thread and saw a few that had aftermarket rails added to them. Does anybody know if the custom shop will do this? Got a couple of other things i want to do to my champion GI that i gotta save up for, but the rail and replacing the sights are my top 2.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:06 AM

They will attach a Dawson rail for $150, that was the price I was given a week ago. They can do pretty much anything you want...within reason.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by former11b View Post
They will attach a Dawson rail for $150, that was the price I was given a week ago. They can do pretty much anything you want...within reason.
Good to know. That's not a bad price. I was looking at the clip-on rail from Command Arms, but it got some pretty bad reviews due to it's tendency to slip from recoil. So I've been looking into other options and if I can get a permanent solution for a lil over double what CA is asking for, I'll go that route. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamau View Post
Here's a few of my newly customized Custom Shop Springfield. 6 days turn around, and I couldn't be happier. Write up and more pics here http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=238818

That's a really good looking gun. Very nice.
Old 02-17-2010, 06:04 PM

is this thread for:
SA custom guns only or
SA custom guns + SA guns later customized or
any gun customized by the SA shop?

askin because unless i missed one there arent any non-SAs in this thread and i know theyre out there. ive got a DW rz-10 that the SA shop did for me and i love it to death but i think the cotep crowd may be horrified by it.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:42 PM

I like Springfield's Custom Shop work. I like Dan Wessons, 10MM's, Razorbacks.......post it! Show me!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolt View Post
is this thread for:
SA custom guns only or
SA custom guns + SA guns later customized or
any gun customized by the SA shop?

askin because unless i missed one there arent any non-SAs in this thread and i know theyre out there. ive got a DW rz-10 that the SA shop did for me and i love it to death but i think the cotep crowd may be horrified by it.
Forget what the "COTEP Enlightened we are smarter than you" people think, this is for anything SA Custom shop has worked on, so go ahead and post some gun pron! :-)
Old 02-19-2010, 11:59 PM

ok ill take this down if anyone objects to a non-SA weapon being posted...

before:

after

certainly not a bad weapon to start with but to each their own and the SA custom shop made it more like what i would have preferred it to be.

20lpi fs checkering
SA magwell
novak night sights added
bead blasted finish w/ some frame smoothing to blend the brushed-to-rough edges
smoothed the serrations in the existing (EB?) grip safety
trigger tuned to my prefs

edit: and larryd grips added as soon as it got home... thx ChicagoPete. =]

Last edited by nolt; 02-20-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:03 AM

Nolt, the coloration on those grips is stunning! Great choice.
Old 02-20-2010, 09:38 AM
Banned

Hey Nolt,
As I have told you before, that is one sweet pistol!
Can you post bigger pics? Thanks.