1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 01-19-2010, 07:30 PM

Grip safety for a New Agent

Quick question. Where can I find a beavertail safety for my Colt New Agent? I am going to call Colt tomorrow, but would like for someone to tell me where I might buy a matte black beavertail. Help?
Old 01-19-2010, 08:24 PM

If you don't want to remove metal from the frame, you can try a Wilson drop-in:
Wilson Drop-in at Brownells

I installed this on my new-agent; had to do a little fitting on the tab. While it helps, I still find the new agent a little "bitey" with defense loads when trying to get the hands as high as possible, which is important as the NA really wants to flip. The reason it still bites is that the drop-in is not a perfect mate with frame. So, I am seriously considering modifying the frame to fit a non-drop-in beavertail.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:28 PM

I had the duckbill GS put on mine. I know a lot of people don't like this abortion of a GS, but it works. Give me a minute to post a pic.

Also had a S70 style TS put on.

Last edited by bigsapper; 01-19-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:13 AM

I have looked into the Wilson. Really helpful info plus the fact I am not the only one experiencing the "bite". Thanks fellas.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:52 AM

I took a new New Agent out for the first time yesterday, and noticed the same bite + bruising after a few hundred rounds. Thank you all for sharing your modifications here, I may consider these. I love the pistol overall and may not change anything out, but it's good to know the options.

I'm noticing the stock trigger has some play in it, too - it' rattles a bit. I may upgrade to a trigger with the option of adjusting the play.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob725 View Post
If you don't want to remove metal from the frame, you can try a Wilson drop-in:
Wilson Drop-in at Brownells

I installed this on my new-agent; had to do a little fitting on the tab. While it helps, I still find the new agent a little "bitey" with defense loads when trying to get the hands as high as possible, which is important as the NA really wants to flip. The reason it still bites is that the drop-in is not a perfect mate with frame. So, I am seriously considering modifying the frame to fit a non-drop-in beavertail.

Many think a high hand hold is needed when it's not. I have NEVER been "bit" by any 1911 whether it be a Defender, OACP, Commander or Government. A high hand hold IS NOT important to control and never has been. Learn how to control the pistol properly and it won't "bite".
Old 01-20-2010, 06:21 PM

While control may or may not be directly related to high grip, the NA does not have a beavertail safety and the small notch on the safety does "Bite" into my hand and apparently does to others to. My other 1911's do not bother me.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:59 PM

I have many 1911's, both with and without beavertails and have no issues with any of them. I have tried really hard to enjoy shooting this gun, because there are many things I like about it. I also realize, that as it is a defense/carry gun, it is not essential that I can shoot many rounds comfortably as the "bite" would be the least of my concerns should I ever need to shoot it.

However, due to maybe its weight distribution or something else, its muzzle wants to flip up really badly and even without trying to hold it higher to improve control, the prong it ships with will try to rotate into the web between thumb and index finger, making it somewhat tiresome to shoot for any length of time.

As I mentioned above, the drop-in beavertail helps but is not ideal. I've tried to think of other things to do to make it more fun to shoot like adding weight somehow along the barrel axis. If there were a tungsten guide-rod option for this weapon, I would try it and gladly give up a little of its lightweight to reduce the muzzel flip.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetidlerjr View Post
Many think a high hand hold is needed when it's not. I have NEVER been "bit" by any 1911 whether it be a Defender, OACP, Commander or Government. A high hand hold IS NOT important to control and never has been. Learn how to control the pistol properly and it won't "bite".
I should explain by saying that I should have said that many incorrectly apply a high hand hold which results in the "hammer bite" and bad control. Also, what I call a high hand hold may differ from your definition.

Last edited by wetidlerjr; 01-21-2010 at 05:18 AM.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:32 PM

Some people use the old Commander grip safety that is narrow but has a cutout for the rowel style hammer to fit into. It's not a beavertail, but it keeps the flesh safe and drops right in. Most custom gunsmiths probably have a couple in their parts boxes.

I have not tried a Wilson drop-in on an Agent/Defender, as both the Defenders I have experience with were early guns with the excellent Caspian "dorsal fin" style grip safety from the factory - which I think is the best beavertail out there. I would prefer that Colt go back to that.

I actually like the downturned "Duckbill" Colt grip safety, as it tightens your hold on the gun as you fire it. This protects the hand and makes control easier of the lighter guns. It is harder to get a perfect firing grip on in the holster unless your holster cants the gun pretty far forward, though. If the pictures I have seen from the SHOT show are accurate, the new Defender/Agent models will acquire a standard style beavertail this year.CC

Certified Law Enforcement Trainer
Certified Glock, Colt and Remington LE Armorer
Old 01-21-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Colt View Post
Some people use the old Commander grip safety that is narrow but has a cutout for the rowel style hammer to fit into.
I have a pre-80 commander I can snatch the part from to test out. Thanks for the tip.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:55 PM
Banned

Here's my New Agent I put a Wilson on several years ago. It fit perfectly and I just had to do a small amount of filing on the tang that hits the back of the trigger bar. It was more comfortable for sure..........
Old 01-26-2010, 08:01 PM

Wow, this was great! I put a Wilson drop in and it is great! I really appreciate all the comments and suggestions. I was really excited that the safety fit so nicely, it also matched colors and makes the gun easier to handle. I too had to file the tang down a bit, but other than that...well I think I will keep this gun for awhile!
GRAINFED, I like how you added what looks to be a magwell. Changed the grips too. Looks good!
Old 02-13-2010, 08:50 PM

I went and grabbed one of these Wilson drop-in Grip Safeties as well. And yes it took a little bit of grinding on the tang to get it work properly. Took it up to the range to see how it works.

Amazing. I cannot tell you how much more consistent I am with this pistol, with this modification. In previous sessions, with the unmodified New Agent, I could put all of my shots on a man-shaped target out to 12 yards, but keeping them in a close group was tricky. After adding the new grip safety, I'm getting 3-inch groups (even on fast, point of aim shooting). I'm thrilled.

Learning how to shoot this Colt has been fun.