1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 08-06-2008, 02:03 PM

I used to keep these types of detailed records. Then I found that it just really didn't matter. I can tell when a gun is due for some preventive maintenance just by shooting it or inspecting it. I've got better things to do with my time than fill out a bunch of records.

But, if it makes you happy - go for it.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:49 PM

I have been keeping a log on my recently acquired CZ 75B. Dates and ammo fired at Range sessions, Date cleaned.

After 500 rds, just got my 1911 back and did 180 rds so I oughta
start a log, the gunsmith also polished the frame/slide rail runway.
It IS smoother.

R-
Old 08-06-2008, 02:57 PM

Im with DK64 I just try to keep my guns out of the rain and clean. I feel a log book is not called for for pistols. I feel they would be called for with long range rifle shooting competiotion. Im not knocking it either way if it floats your boat log ever thing you do.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”
~George Washington
Old 08-06-2008, 03:02 PM

Deleted post.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”
~George Washington

Last edited by Handgun Guy; 08-06-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sousana View Post
. I have contacted Glock about sending it in and having it inspected and they've stated they'd like to keep it, and give me my choice of any replacement , my dillema now is which one to go with.

Tell them you want a Wilson 1911
"A Veteran -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." __ Unknown
Sure, I'm willing to shoot your Glock, just hang it up there with the rest of the targets. COTEP #35
Old 08-06-2008, 06:25 PM

This is an argument for booking. I know when I interface with a gunsmith or maker of a weapon, they always want to hear my exact round count and show more interest in the weapon. It gives them to a chance to see how things are wearing.

Regards,
Greyson
Old 08-09-2008, 10:02 PM

Log

+1 for Excel: Easy to set up column headings, keep track of data.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
Tell them you want a Wilson 1911

LOL, I've got 4 Wilson's. Don't diss the weapon simply because it's a 9mm. These days with modern ballistics and tailored ammunition, it comes down to the basics, SHOT PLACEMENT.

Lol, and I've finally decided to go with their new generation Glock 17.

For my logs, it's easy to create a form in MS-Infopath with drop down dialogue boxes so that all firearms, calibers, maintenance is covered on one form.

Last edited by sousana; 08-10-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-10-2008, 01:41 PM

+1 for Greyson

It's a good idea IMO to show the gunsmith you know
something about your weapon

THe other thing a log would do for Semi-Autos is a round count
on the recoil spring, etc.

Randall
Old 08-10-2008, 02:55 PM

One other thing, it makes it much easier to sell the weapon if the potential buyer can see exactly how the guns been used while in your care. It's a very rare thing for me to sell a weapon, but every so often I'll find some good bargains and I'll buy them simply for trading value.

But in all respects, I keep as good maintenance logs on weapons as I do on my cars, and that means having to know your weapons inside out, so if you go to a gunsmith that you don't know, he can show you the problems and instead of nodding your head so as to not look foolish, you actually nod in understanding.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:20 PM

Gun Log Books

I am one of the founders of BookFactory http://www.BookFactory.com and we make gun log books - in fact the ATF recommends our Firearms Acquisition and Disposition Record Book http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....ategory.349/.f .

We would love any and all input you may have into log books you would like to see us make. For ideas that we accept we would be glad to give you a few free log books. Send any ideas to sales at bookfactory.com.

FYI we are a veteran owned business, make everything in America (Ohio) and I have been shooting competitively since I was a kid.

Thank you for any support

- Bill
Old 04-04-2009, 03:46 PM

records

I keep a record, a just a running MS Word document for each gun. I keep track by date, and add for any range trip, cleaning, parts changes (springs, etc.), rounds fired of which type etc.. I can review it and keep track of if certain guns work with certain loads better, or if one gun will work with a particular slide stop tried in one gun won't work but will in another (while trying to find my favorite shape and type that would work). It has also helped me remember things I did to troubleshoot and problems before, so I don't have to repeat or learn them again. When I am switching back and forth between 1911s, magazines, loads, etc., it has been a big help.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by facilitator View Post
I set up a log for each of my 1911's on an Excel spreadsheet. Included are number of times at which range, dates, rounds fired that day, total rounds fired, when I changed which spring, when I cleaned and lubed,when I detail stripped each one, the names and dates of each gun class I attended.

I think that's it. FWIW, this system works great for me.
This seems like the easier way to go. It's what I do as well. At one I had set up an entire fancy Access database with forms and eveyrthing (I am a developer), but it got too complicated to maintain. Sometimes simplest is best.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:44 AM

I keep one of those small composition books in my range bag for each of my firearms.

I write ammo type, round count, any failures or problems I had (including accuracy and stuff like that) and if I get home and detail strip it or just field strip and clean I write "Detail" or "Field" underneath the last log.

Not really too extensive but I like to keep a record.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge43 View Post
I'm going to cut this short and go beat some puppies with some kittens or something so I can get my war face back on.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:29 AM

Geez....My head is spinning. Logs, PDF, Excel.....

Quote:
Do you also record cleanings, whether they be field strip cleanings or detailed strip cleanings...?
....OMG. Owning fine guns, shooting them, cleaning them is great fun. Back bent over a log, brow furrowed, eyes straining.....was that 47 or 48 rounds fired today thru that Colt? Was that a full detail strip , or a partial? .......No Thanks! Just my 2 cents, however.

For those that do, have at it.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyunker45 View Post
Geez....My head is spinning. Logs, PDF, Excel.....

....OMG. Owning fine guns, shooting them, cleaning them is great fun. Back bent over a log, brow furrowed, eyes straining.....was that 47 or 48 rounds fired today thru that Colt? Was that a full detail strip , or a partial? .......No Thanks! Just my 2 cents, however.

It takes me about 10 seconds to jot down

4/9 200 rd, 230gr Blazer. No Failures, Field.

That is what a common entry looks like. At the bottom of the page, when the page is filled I tally up the round count.

If I have a failure, I write what type and then if and when I fix it, I jot down a note of what fixed it for future reference.

You are taking it to a whole other level and making it seem like it is some super tedious task that requires hours of thought and tons of brain power.

You don't care to keep up with your round count and maintenance stuff, fine... but don't make it seem like we are crazy for doing so.

Quote:
I'm going to cut this short and go beat some puppies with some kittens or something so I can get my war face back on.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ske1etor View Post

You don't care to keep up with your round count and maintenance stuff, fine... but don't make it seem like we are crazy for doing so.
Never used the word crazy. That's yours.

I did say, however.......

Quote:
Don't let my opinion bind you up.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyunker45 View Post
Never used the word crazy. That's yours.

I did say, however.......

Don't let my opinion bind you up.

Hey, don't post anymore...

Your post count is 1,911.

Awesome. lol

I wasn't going to let you stop me, just making sure you knew that it isn't some huge task like you made it seem (Back bent over a log, brows furrowed, eyes straining.)

Quote:
Old 05-07-2009, 12:40 PM

I for one have kept logs for my entire life.

1. Keep track of total rounds fired thru each weapon
2. Track round count for spring replacement
3. Track round count for frame/slide maintenance
4. Track round for how each particular round shoots.
5. Track each and every maintenance to the weapon
6. Track each cleaining of the weapon.

Weapons are like cars, once you get a certain mileage on em, you let a factory trained mechanic look it over to make sure it's in good condition, and to replace all parts at regularly scheduled intervals.

And, in the event I should get rid of that particular weapon, the logbook goes with it to it's new owner so that he knows the entire history of the weapon, and may or may not choose to continue it.

It takes no time at all to keep your records up to date, besides, my logs are all computerized, backed up, and printed out into a binder log form.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sousana View Post
Weapons are like cars, once you get a certain mileage on em, you let a factory trained mechanic look it over to make sure it's in good condition, and to replace all parts at regularly scheduled intervals.
Never buy a used car from me. They get all their oil changes, but many of the other scheduled items go out the window. Oil change,trans service and timing belt if so equiped are always done on time though.

Mike
Old 05-07-2009, 02:21 PM

LOLOLOLOL. I guess on my part it might be a tad compulsive. I'm an RN and used to documenting everything, and that sort of carries on in my off duty life.

I do the same for my vehicles though. I drive a 1993 Nissan Sentra XE with 129,853 miles on it, and I have maintenance logs from the first day I purchased it. Mostly, I took a Marine Corps trip ticket and converted it to my use showing mileage, gas purchases, any extra's such as fuel system cleaners, and any repairs, state inspections.

It has many benefits lol, I can look at gas prices back then, ummmm, 0.8499 per gallon. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH the good old days, but then again, I remember when gas was a whopping 0.499 per gallon.

On my wifes car, a Mercedes 500SL, I do exactly the same since I take care of all maintenance and gassing it up lol, and the same for our family vehicle a pontiac sunfire and a chevy s-10 pick up.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:21 PM

The only data book I keep is for my .308 rifle.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:36 AM

Gun Log Books

You can get a gun log book at an online store called BookFactory http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....ry.349/it.C/.f or www.bookfactory.com They have several types of books that have ATF guidelines for FFL compliance. They also custom make books, so if you have a format you want, they can make it for you. They recently came out with a hunting log book, and they told me it was developed because customers requested it.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:10 PM

Excel Spread Sheets....they're not just for accountants anymore.
NRA Instructor
Old 02-06-2010, 11:55 AM

This is an easy one for me. When done shooting I pull out my trusty blackberry. Open up my notes folder and edit the Log file for each gun I shoot. I do not log cleanings but I do tracking modifications, spring changes and rounds shot.. It's very easy and done in a matter of seconds.
FFL Dealer