1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Tactics & Personal Defense

Old 01-04-2010, 07:41 PM

I grew up in a small New England town, Town Hall, Police and Fire Stations all on Main St., quiet, nothing ever happens here. Well I got a job at the Police Station in the small town where "nothing ever happens". Let's just say that everything that happens in the " Big Crime Ridden City " also happens here. Granted not every night, it is still a great place to raise a family, but stuff still happens here, it's just never reported to the news.

Providence Rhode Island, about 40 minutes away, I believe 24 Homocides in '09. It's on the 6 O'clock News almost every other night. Drive-byes and near misses aren't counted. That's alot of crime going on. Most of the time it stays in the bad neighborhoods. But it can and does spill over. Robberies also make the news regularly. Just like any other capital city. ( Banks, gas stations, liquor stores, mini marts. Ever stop at one? )

I guess it's like playing the lottery, it has to happen to someone. I'm most likely making it sound like a Mad Maxx kind of place, and it's not. I still live in a sheltered, quiet, small NE town. But still, 24 murders in a year, that's alot to me.

If I'm not out earning a living, I'm spending time with my best friend, my girlfriend. The GSD has the duty when I'm at work. I have the duty when we're out. I do drop everything to go to the mall with her or where ever. I just feel better being there.

I could get in a car wreck on my way to work, we could get in a wreck together, "you just don't know". Sometimes bad things happen to good people. I like nice people, we know a lot of nice people. But, every now and then a NitWit crawls out from under a rock without an appointment and has to be dealt with. You just don't know.

If I'm called paranoid, ok, I can deal with that. Concealed carry means I look like any other "Mark" on the street. I just perfer to stop, look and listen to my surroundings, in the hope of avoiding the avoidable.

But any way, after all that, your actual mileage may vary, objects in the mirror may appear closer, ect... You still have to decide what is right for you and pretty much don't worry what other people think about it.

Choose Wisely Grasshopper.

Colt Government, MK IV, Series 80, 45 Cal.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:07 PM

I always have the wife on my left, old habit from my Army days and has stuck with me through the years in LE, gotsta keep the gun hand empty.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
Thanks, 1SG, but I bet in person you are just a "Putty Cat".
Now having been or are a 1SG you are mean when you have to be. A sweet 1SG just 'aint gonna cut it.

Have a good one.
Regards,
Jerry
That gets out and I’m going to beat you to death with a wet noodle.

Do you know how long that takes maggot?

Old 01-04-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuk View Post
I always have the wife on my left, old habit from my Army days and has stuck with me through the years in LE, gotsta keep the gun hand empty.

Except when it's full.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:04 AM

I am curious if anyone here has ever heard of a woman getting shot who went out the door first? I know I have not. Of course, if you are a gang banger it might very well happen, but average folks leaving a restaurant or such?

I wonder what it would cost to install bullet proof glass in the front of my house? After all, someone might do a drive by.

Regards,
Jerry
Proverbs 14:34 *¶Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:27 AM

I haven't Jerry. But I've pulled a car with entire family still in it out of the lake. Husband, Wife two little kids. It was a business ownership dispute between partners owning legitimate (read no drugs, guns) in Russia circa early 90's. It was a company picnic families and kids that family was left behind. Those same partners pulled an RPK and 40mm grenades on cops when they came over their house to arrest them. We've had to drive an APC thru the front door to end it. Investigation into the company business did not reveal anything ilicit, they were moderately profitable and evaded paying taxes just like everybody else back in that day. I.e. There was no organized crime connection. Just few guys who'd gone off the deep end.

About three months or so ago a woman walking with a stroller near a park about half a mile from my house was almost forcibly abducted by a man posing as a police officer. I live in a relatively safe middle class neighborhood.

About 4 years ago a hippy looking young couple targeted me and my wife for a robbery in that same park. The only reason that I'm typing this now is because I saw them as being out of place saw a knife hidden in guy's sleeve and made sure that he saw a holstered weapon on my hip. And oh yeah it was really helpful that my wife was holding on to my left hand and not my right

Really bad things happen to really good people and while they are relatively rare they still happen. Once you see the aftermath of some of those things you get a new appreciation for life.

Some people learn from others mistakes i.e. listening to the news reading relevant literature others hear same stuff and think that it can never happen to them. Well.. it can and when it does it's too late.

I don't advocate leaving in fear but I do take precautions.

Last edited by matrosov; 01-05-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:00 PM

depends on the situation for me, if i know im going somewhere rough i prefer to do so alone or with a buddy for back up and leave the gf somewhere safe, if it cannot be avoided and i have to go in some door, she stays in the truck with the engine running while i check it out, if its good she comes in, if i dont like it i come back out and we leave.

now, that is very rare. day to day i open doors for her and other people as well, maybe its old-fashioned or whatever, im fairly young but i was taught to always open doors for people especially women or elderly, guess its part of growing up a cowboy and eagle scout lol.

Pain is weakness leaving the body.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:44 PM

Deleted as to easy to misconstrue.

The more I'm around people, the more I love my dog. And she annoys the hell out of me sometimes! AIW

Last edited by Amos Iron Wolf; 01-05-2010 at 03:24 PM. Reason: To delete.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:18 PM

At the risk of being caught in crossfire here... . Gentlemen let's try to keep this thread free of sarcasm and personal attacks. It is suppose to be about exchange of ideas and personal opinions not about loaded questions and the responses they might generate.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrosov View Post
At the risk of being caught in crossfire here... . Gentlemen let's try to keep this thread free of sarcasm and personal attacks. It is suppose to be about exchange of ideas and personal opinions not about loaded questions and the responses they might generate.
Don't worry. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic. I was genuine in my questions and concerns. Sorry and apologies if it sounded that way. Not intended as a personal attack.

The more I'm around people, the more I love my dog. And she annoys the hell out of me sometimes! AIW
Old 01-05-2010, 05:28 PM

Hi Matrosov,

But those incidents are very different from exiting a dept store or restaurant. Parks and lakes are sometimes isolated enough so that criminals can feel secure enough to attack people.

If using such places I have always been cautious, or when using rest stops, but it is not the same as being on a public street at a business or mall. I would like to know if such crimes take place when leaving a place of business in places other than known crime sections.
Obviously one can do as he will, but I refuse to live my life worrying about every door I exit or that there is a BG around every corner. Naturally shootings can and do occur when one is somehow connected to gangs, but not orherwise under the circumatances of the question posed by this thread.

Regards,
Jerry
Proverbs 14:34 *¶Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:35 PM

Again it sounds more paranoid on paper than it really is in real life. It's not very different from muscle memory if you will. 600 exact repititions and your body does 601st repetition on autopilot. It is easier to behave/act a certain way all the time that way your brain will do it on autopilot regardless of the surroundings all the time. If I have to do different things in different surroundings and in differrent situations I'd have to think all the time and you're are right I'll drive myself bonkers. But most of us don't think about the things we do like going first through the door or opening door or checking if anybody is following us, that is we don't think about it until we have to write it down . Like my driving the car example we can do gazzilion different things and have a conversation at the same time. Habbit and repitition is a beatiful thing.

I don't think about world end scenarios all the time or my wife getting raped, but because of my military experiences I do look for trip wires and helicopters when driving a car I do it totally subconciously just became a second nature at some point . LEO's on this forum probably go around their non LEO business with family in tow checking faces against wanted criminals taking note of people's hands etc. Not because they are fearful but because the've done it for so long it became a habbit.

It is important to differentiate fear from alertness. Fear robs you of ability to act. Alertness and observation actually opens up a totally new world for you.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:51 PM

I'm a girl, and I don't care if a man opens the door for me, etc. Sometimes I open it for them! (Of course, I CCW, so a man looking for danger and protecting me is not an issue.)

FYI - The reason men walk on the street side of the sidewalk is that people used to throw their chamber pots out of windows, (YUCK!), and the men would "take the hit" instead of the lady. http://www.trivia-library.com/a/why-...of-a-woman.htm

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Frank Lloyd Wright
Old 01-06-2010, 08:13 AM

let the wife go first?? yep! she makes great cover!! just kidding Clint
Old 01-06-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parallax View Post
I'm a girl, and I don't care if a man opens the door for me, etc. Sometimes I open it for them! (Of course, I CCW, so a man looking for danger and protecting me is not an issue.)
Cool. You take point! Seriously, glad you take responsibility for your own safety. Good on ya.

Quote:
let the wife go first?? yep! she makes great cover!! just kidding Clint
There you go. Causing me to have fantasies about my 2nd ex and going into dangerous places. Looking back I'd have happily opened the doors of hell for her. No, wait. She ran the place and I barely escaped. <Shiver> Now I'm just having flashbacks and panic attacks.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight55 View Post
If I can see through the door, . . . window, . . . and see that the place looks OK, . . . I'm the suave gentleman (grocery, restaurant, church, etc.).

If I can't, . . . call me a bum, . . . I'm going in first.

Same here. And there are places where I am always the first to go: subway stations would be a good example ...
Old 01-08-2010, 12:28 AM

I was talking about this with my girlfriend and she was thinking that this was paranoid because we live in connecticut. Then I iwas thinking that all the liberals that I talk to think that if they don't hurt anyone then no one will hurt them ( x girlfriend, never locked her doors) then someone tried to car jack her and she still thought that they were going for her POS car. With Hartford being the next town over there is danger that most don't realize
Old 01-08-2010, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfecastle View Post
I was talking about this with my girlfriend and she was thinking that this was paranoid because we live in connecticut. Then I iwas thinking that all the liberals that I talk to think that if they don't hurt anyone then no one will hurt them ( x girlfriend, never locked her doors) then someone tried to car jack her and she still thought that they were going for her POS car. With Hartford being the next town over there is danger that most don't realize
Torrington got dangerous since I left -- 45 years ago.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:06 PM

Call it what ever you like but its been the mans job to protect since we were cavemen only thing thats changed is the stye of threat thats out there. so we have to change with the times. I also was brought up with old school manners but that takes a back seat when I'm out with my wife and6yr old daughter. my job to be first to take the hit or stop the threat so my wife god willing can remove my daughter from the area. If you feel this is crazy then either you have no insticts or you don't watch the news cause yes things are bad out there.