1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 08-20-2009, 03:22 PM

Sig 1911 problem/question

Hi,

Got a new SIG GSR 1911 today, it's an early model made in 2004. When field stripping the pistol for cleaning, I ran into a problem that I hope you fine folks can help me out with.

I know how to fully disassemble a regular 1911, series 70 and 80's. The problem I ran into is this. There is an awful amount of white grease in the firing pin channel. I cleaned this out with a q-tip, but I cannot for the life of me, get the series 80 plunger and spring out of this pistol. The plunger and spring really need to be cleaned, as it looks as if a two year old playing in the mud, lubed this. How do I remove this plunger and spring in the early model of the SIG GSR, so I clean them?

Thanks.
Old 08-20-2009, 03:36 PM

Is it early enough that it has the little "manhole" on the right side of the slide?
If so, you need a teeny little two-pin spanner to release the firing pin obstruction.

If not, it should have a plug in the right rear of the slide that looks like the butt end of a real 1911 extractor. That ought to come out with removal of the firing pin stop and let the firing pin obstruction come down and out.

I think.
Old 08-20-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
Is it early enough that it has the little "manhole" on the right side of the slide?
If so, you need a teeny little two-pin spanner to release the firing pin obstruction.

If not, it should have a plug in the right rear of the slide that looks like the butt end of a real 1911 extractor. That ought to come out with removal of the firing pin stop and let the firing pin obstruction come down and out.

I think.

Correct.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:29 PM

The information given is correct, but you will also need to heat the plug up as it is held in with Loctite.

LOG

Old 08-20-2009, 05:37 PM

Sig

I would spray the heck out of the thing with auto brake cleaner from Walmart (approx. $1.90 for a large can). After taking the grips off. With a spray tube on the can, you can pretty much direct the stream where you wish. Into the firing pin hole for instance and behind the ejector. Some do not like these a "make do" chemicals. However, I've used them for years on steel pistols with no problems. I do remove the grips though. After cleaning just oil and apply grease to the rails. I lube with Rem Oil and a synth. pistol grease. If necessary my pistols, with this combination clean/lube. Have run for hundreds of rounds with no lube additional lube at all. Just to see if they would.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:29 PM

Where do I get a spanner bit? Or should I just make one out of a small screw driver using a dremel?
Old 08-21-2009, 08:24 AM
Banned

A Series 80 firing pin interlock won't come out until you move the extractor back a slight amount.

I've no idea what the wrench would be used for so I suspect this is not a Series 80 pistol.

-- Chuck
Old 08-21-2009, 09:23 AM

The Sig GSR firing pin obstruction actuates like a Colt Series 80 but since it does not have a real 1911 extractor, the retention is different.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Skorzeny View Post
Where do I get a spanner bit? Or should I just make one out of a small screw driver using a dremel?
Call Brownells customer service? They may have 'em.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:09 AM

Spanner bit

Looks like I'll have to make one, Brownells doesn't have one, and called Sig only to find out that their gunsmiths made the ones they have. That sucks.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:06 AM

It sure does. Looks like you'll be spending time with a dremel and small files.