1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 01-24-2005, 01:33 PM

Star 1911 45 Acp

Does anyone have one of these? I've had one since about 1974, but have not seen one at shows nor seen them talked about in the forums for as long as I can remember. The model is model PS.

Looks just like the Colt 45 auto except it has an external extractor and the "backstrap" is part of the frame.

It is my understanding from an article years ago that most movies that use 45 autos use STARs, for they will work with blanks where as Colt 45 auto will not. I used to take note of it when watching movies. The external extractor is a dead giveaway, else, it would be very hard to tell it from a Colt 45 auto.
Old 01-26-2005, 10:10 PM

Now I understand why I am not getting a lot of replies.

On the Curio and Relic Firearm Forum under Spanish Pistols, there was a post concernng this handgun (STAR Model PS). One guy replied : "The Star Model PS is not a common piece. They were only made from 1970 to 1987, with only a total of 7,657 made. The majority (4,525) were made in 1973."

They were imported into the US and sold through the Garcia Corporation back in '70s. I read on another forum where STAR has since went out of business, so I guess I better not break any parts.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:24 PM

Star??

I saw this browsing... I dont know if it is what you are/were looking for...

http://www.southernohiogun.com/surplushandguns.html

Good Luck!
Old 03-01-2005, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDavis
Does anyone have one of these? I've had one since about 1974, but have not seen one at shows nor seen them talked about in the forums for as long as I can remember. The model is model PS.

Looks just like the Colt 45 auto except it has an external extractor and the "backstrap" is part of the frame.

It is my understanding from an article years ago that most movies that use 45 autos use STARs, for they will work with blanks where as Colt 45 auto will not. I used to take note of it when watching movies. The external extractor is a dead giveaway, else, it would be very hard to tell it from a Colt 45 auto.
ive heard and shot a star pd in 45 acp never heard of a ps
laser grips)
kimber 22 conversion kit
thompson center 22lr classic bushnell 5x15x40
mil-dot scope 200 yard plinker
smith and wesson snub nose 38 special
dillon square deal b press
Old 03-02-2005, 12:30 PM

GDavis mentioned using Stars in movies. Actually, Stars were used because, until fairly recently, .45 acp blanks would not function well in a semi-auto. To most people, a Star looked like a regular 1911. They would use 9mm Luger to get reliable results (multiple shots). A new 45 crimping design solved the problem. They were used in movies like The Wild Bunch, Three Days of The Condor (Robert Redford) and Pulp Fiction.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:08 PM

mmmm i got a star, ultra star in s&w40. wonder what its worth now?
Old 03-02-2005, 11:20 PM

Star Firearms..

Star firearms are GREAT guns. I carry a "Combat Customized FireStar M40".. and have done so since they first came out about 20 or so years ago. The reason you don't see to many Stars being sold is because once someone has owned one, they try NOT to get rid of it. Here are a couple of Star links you might be interested in.

http://www.donttouchme.com/star/

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/StarPistols.htm

Hope this helps.

FireStar_M40
Old 03-03-2005, 12:42 PM

I found a like new Star PD at a gun show recently. The guy wouldn't come down below $400 so I passed. This one had an alloy frame. When they came out in the 70s they were the smallest 1911 style gun that shot the .45 acp round.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDavis

GDavis,

If it's the one that my friend had long ago then I could picture it in my mind. I thought they were good pistol to pack with you on walks in the evening. Although they were plagued with fram cracking after about 100 rounds spent. Givce or take. I still believe they were/are still great pistols to have in ones collection.

rimfire,22
Old 03-03-2005, 02:49 PM

Wish I had one. They are even harder to find where I live (Belgium). I have a 9mm Star 30M.

If I could, I would only buy Star pistols in different calibers. Unfortunately they are impossible to find over here.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa One
Wish I had one. They are even harder to find where I live (Belgium). I have a 9mm Star 30M.

If I could, I would only buy Star pistols in different calibers. Unfortunately they are impossible to find over here.

Alfa One,

I'm sorry to say that Star is a gone bye era pistol. They're good pistols that ran for miles long before needing any repairs I've heard. I have two in my barrtey that barely gets any shooting. I'm trying to look for some magazines at shows.

rimfire,22
Old 03-07-2005, 08:36 PM

i've had star pd's since the time they were introduced in the 70's. they are indeed great underated guns. the one i'm carrying has gone over a thousand factory rounds with no problem. all i've done to it is change the recoil and firing pin springs, and also the plastic like buffer. one other high milege pd had a problem where the gun would dump the mag when fired. the current one i am carrying, has beautiful grips made by hakan.

ed
Old 11-25-2007, 04:51 PM

Three photos of my old 1911 style Star converted to fire 38 Super ammo with a light to moderate 9 mm handload. Renigeid

Old 11-25-2007, 05:02 PM

My son has a Star BM in 9mm. It`s cute. It`s set up that if it`s cocked with a round in it but the magazine is out it won`t fire.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Author Unknown
Old 11-26-2007, 05:02 AM

Also have another STAR 45 but no longer carry it as weight is a factor. So many lighter carry guns out today. Built like a Sherman tank and about as heavy but still a rugged and great shooting firearm. Renigeid

Old 11-26-2007, 04:08 PM

You gotta love those Star pistols. I have a Firestar M40 that I carry and would love to someday add the Firestar M45 along with a M43 to my collection. Here is another good link for Star pistols
http://star-firearms.com/cgi-bin/gm1/index.shtml
Old 11-26-2007, 05:03 PM

I've had a BKM for 15 years and I really like it.
Wife swore that she hated semi's until I let her shoot it.
Now I need to find another one...
she claimed that one as hers.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:27 PM

I have a Star Super 9mm Largo and a Star BM 9mm Luger. Both are ex-Spanish military and are pretty beat up, but still work great.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:29 PM

Renigeid, where did you get those wood grips on your Star Super. They look GREAT!
Old 11-26-2007, 08:03 PM

The grips? I made them from a piece of old black walnut that I had for years. I re-sawed to get the same burl on each side. I liked the burl and the knot in the piece. Took a little while to get the correct fit around the safety, etc, but I like them. Thanks for the nice compliment. Renigeid
Old 11-27-2007, 02:32 PM

AIM Surplus had some WWII Star .45's that looked very close to Colt 1911's, but I don't see them on their website now. Might call and see if they still have some.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:52 PM

Star PS vs. PD

There is a guy at gunboard's forum named "Star" who has lots of Star parts and is a wealth of info. He has also posted some pics of various 45 models. I just bought some recoil/guide rods and a set of pearlite grips for one of my PD's. I put the new grips on and installed one of my new recoil buffers and am good to go. Here are a couple of pics of the PD with the new grips....
Attached Thumbnails
PD Pearl1.jpg   PDPearl1.jpg  
Old 06-21-2009, 12:22 PM

I carried a Star B (or SuperB, can't remember) 9mm during my time in the South African Defence Force in the 80s - great pistol, but one thing I noticed was that the firing-pins were particularly brittle and prone to break if dry-fired. I always kept a few spares handy, but apart from that it was a superbly accurate, reliable pistol.

I did get into a little bit of trouble when I handed it back - the serial-numbers on the slide, frame and barrel somehow didn't match

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
Old 06-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Banned

I have a Firestar M40 that I have carried for 20+ years. Great gun.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:45 PM

Star Pistols

I've previously owned a Star PD .45 and a Firestar as well. They were both fine handguns, although a bit heavy. I regret selling them and wish I had kept them both today.