1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 05-16-2009, 04:02 PM

Getting Your 50 Cal Bullet Back The Hard Way!

Got this video in an email from my Dad today. Make sure you turn the volume up.

The story in the email, 1000 yard shot, steel plate target. You can hear the bullet coming back. Good thing it smacked the dirt first or Lord knows what would have happened to this guy's melon! Click the image below to load the video. Takes a few seconds to buffer.

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks,
BD-Hes
Old 05-16-2009, 08:12 PM

Yeah, I've seen that a few times but it never gets any easier to watch. Fortunate fellow there.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:21 PM

1000 yards? Somehow I doubt it. Time of flight isn't long enough, and although the video makes depth perception difficult, that doesn't look like a 1000 yard range.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyhispeed View Post
1000 yards? Somehow I doubt it. Time of flight isn't long enough, and although the video makes depth perception difficult, that doesn't look like a 1000 yard range.
I agree that it can't be 1000 yards, still cranks up the pucker factor though.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:52 PM

The whistle does seem to be a bit quick for that range. ;-)

Sorry that this has been posted before. Was new to me, and I actually admire the demeanor of the guy that took the ding to the headphones. I think I would have been doing the "pee pee dance", as my 4 year old calls it!

Thanks,
BD-Hes
Old 05-17-2009, 07:52 AM

I don't know.. At 2,900 fps (about 880 yards per second) it would make the round-trip in about 2.5 or 3 seconds. I imagine it was a 500 yard shot, and the round-trip was 1,000 yards. From fire to impact, it took about a second and a half..

I've never seen that before. That was pretty intense. I couldn't even imagine being that guy. Very fortunate!

Jonathan
Old 05-17-2009, 08:01 AM

Wow.

One lucky dude.

General George S. Patton

Please Join the NRA -- Help Protect Our 2nd Amendment Rights.!
Old 05-17-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
I don't know.. At 2,900 fps (about 880 yards per second) it would make the round-trip in about 2.5 or 3 seconds. I imagine it was a 500 yard shot, and the round-trip was 1,000 yards. From fire to impact, it took about a second and a half..

I've never seen that before. That was pretty intense. I couldn't even imagine being that guy. Very fortunate!

Jonathan
Keep in mind that the sound of the impact comes after the actual impact. 500 yds sounds more accurate. Also, there's going to be a substantial velocity loss on the return trip, which would increase your TOF. I'd be really curious to know the details of the actual range, the target composition and what load they were using (from someone who was there, not interweb rumor).

Probably a fluke, I'm guessing they didn't try it again.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:25 PM

Yeah, sorry fellas, but there's NO way that's 1000 yards. Trajectories may be different, but I've shot a .308 over 1000 at just over 2700fps and it took quite a bit longer than that shot. Still a wild video though, the guy was lucky.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:44 AM

Here is the real story behind the video, from the guy who video'd it.

"6-27-07: BOOM HEADSHOT! This is amazing. Willie, the father of Tina, who made the sandbag rests fires a .50BMG, an Armalite AR-50 and it ricochets off of a steel plate that it should have easily penetrated. The bullet comes straight back and hits him in the head. You can see it hit the dirt about 15 feet in front on him before it clobbers him. Luckily he was uninjured. He's a bit sore today, but otherwise fine. Lucky lucky bastard. He has been advised to buy lottery tickets while he still has so much luck. I don't know about the timing, but you can hear the hit on the steel plate. Time that till the impact on Willie's head... how fast is that 750 grain slug traveling? The range is 100 yards. Amazing. "

That was taken directly from his blog.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:49 AM

It is true, a friend looked it up on snopes or somewhere last time the video circulated but it is not 1000 yards, it was 100 yards, which only means that guys is crazy as hell for shooting a 50 cal at a steel target at 100 yards....still fun to watch,,,,
Old 05-19-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impalacustom View Post
Here is the real story behind the video, from the guy who video'd it.

"6-27-07: BOOM HEADSHOT! This is amazing. Willie, the father of Tina, who made the sandbag rests fires a .50BMG, an Armalite AR-50 and it ricochets off of a steel plate that it should have easily penetrated. The bullet comes straight back and hits him in the head. You can see it hit the dirt about 15 feet in front on him before it clobbers him. Luckily he was uninjured. He's a bit sore today, but otherwise fine. Lucky lucky bastard. He has been advised to buy lottery tickets while he still has so much luck. I don't know about the timing, but you can hear the hit on the steel plate. Time that till the impact on Willie's head... how fast is that 750 grain slug traveling? The range is 100 yards. Amazing. "

That was taken directly from his blog.

Thanks for the clarification. Email has a nasty habit of having "0's" added to distance on things like this one. I now think he's even luckier than before if it was only 100 yards. Geez.

Thanks,
BD-Hes
Old 05-19-2009, 09:14 AM

Easy for me to say now, but I was going to guess 100 yds.!

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 05-19-2009, 09:53 AM

Now hold it, is this really legit, or dummied up?

So the distance is in question, could be as short as 100 yards, yet there is enough time to hear the whine of the returning slug?? At 880/yards second? And what happened that the bullet that "was supposed to penetrate the steel plate" didn't? Freak accident, heh?

But what struck me was the ricochet >in the dirt<, about 10-20 feet ahead of him, and then the bullet is 3+ feet >off the ground< when it hits his ear muffs? Wouldn't the trajectory have been much flatter, and thus unlikely to have bounced that high off the ground? (I suppose now we will say that it hit a rock, and took a wild bounce up.)

I am nowhere near the firearms expert that some on the site are, but I do have a mechanical engineering degree and know just a little bit about physics, and this all looks just a little too cute for me--and I can't say that I particularly trust the report from "the guy who was there", since such a person would undoubtedly perpetuate this story.

BTW, I could not find this on Snopes, to confirm this.

Enlighten me.

Last edited by sdg380; 05-19-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:17 AM

Guess I'm not the only skeptic:

"My first reaction to watching the video was ďwow, thatís impressiveĒ. ButÖÖ something just didnít seem right at a gut level. After a little calculation and my understanding of physics it doesnít pan out.

First gut level reaction:
Why is someone taking a picture of a person shooting at a target out in the middle of nowhere? Why are none of the participantís faces shown? Why didnít they show a picture of where the bullet hit the shooter in the head as he claimed? The sound of the projectile coming back seemed strange. Why donít we hear these same sounds in other ricochet bullet situations? Iíve shot many bullets and have never heard this sound. Also, the Doppler effect is wrong (see below). That the bullet could/would ricochet ďbackĒ in the direction it came with any significant energy left is doubtful. Possible but doubtful. Why havenít we seen this extraordinary phenomenon in all the shootemíup Hollywood movies before? It would make a great story where a shooter fires at an armored car and ends up killing himself from the bounced back bullet.

A little more analytical view:
Given the following facts: the target is 100 yds away as claimed, the muzzle velocity of an XM107 .50 cal. SASR rifle is 2930-3050 fps (depending upon the cartridge being used), and sound travels approx. 1105 fps.

It would take the bullet 0.10 seconds to reach the target. It would then take the sound 0.27 seconds to come back to the video camera after hitting the target for a total of 0.37 sec. After close examination of the video it took approx 0.3 seconds, close enough. So far so good.

The time it took from the 'sound' of the bullet hitting the target until it struck the dirt/sand in front of the shooter was 1.35 seconds. The bullet actually hit the target 0.27 seconds before you heard it on the video (see above). Total time of actual hit on metal target to coming back to shooter, 1.62 seconds. Therefore the ricochet bullet is traveling back at about 185 fps (300í/1.62sec) or 126 mph. In reality not much energy at that speed with only a 40-45 gram projectile. Applying simple physics the projectile would have reached a height of just over 10 ft off the ground at its mid point on the way back to the shooter. For comparison consider a golf ball that is hit 300 ft. On impact it has a velocity of about 220 fps (150 mph), a little faster than the ricochet bullet speed. Why donít we hear the same whistling sound from other objects (golf balls, baseballs, arrows, etc.) flying through the air at that speed? Because at those relatively low speeds they don't create pressure levels sufficient to produce sound.

Finally letís consider the ricochet sound itself. Notice the Doppler effect of the sound. It drops in pitch as itís coming back toward the video camera. In reality it would be increasing in pitch (frequency) as it comes toward the observer and decreasing as it leaves the observer. Did you ever experience the sound of a train whistle coming toward you and then going away? Same effect. Dubbed in sound for the video????

Sorry for the long tirade. I just donít like hoax or staged videos passed off as fact. Does urban legend come to mind?

I may be wrong but I donít think so."
Old 05-19-2009, 10:19 AM

was that guy shooting tank armor? i thought that 50 cal was supposed to go thru engine blocks?

james
Old 05-19-2009, 10:27 AM

I shot a slab of 2" thick plate that CAT uses for the D9 dozer blades.
Fired and FMJ and an AP round. The FMJ made a nice dent about the size of a golf ball and about 3/8-1/2" deep. The AP round went about an 1" deep with the same size dia dent. I wish i had some API rounds to try, but i didnt.
Not sure how the D9 plate is compaired to tank armor, but its some tough stuff.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:29 PM

Wow, 100 yards! That sound was a bit strange like others have said. Any chance it was shrapnel of some sort that made the return trip? Maybe a fragment of the bullet with a hollow shape to create that whistle?

I wasn't thinking about the sound taking longer, but it still seemed like a long time. The return velocity must have been pretty low, whatever it was.

Jonathan
Old 05-19-2009, 10:57 PM

As anybody who has shot tracers knows, ricochets can do funny, funny things.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:03 PM

The whole thing is a little just not quite right, he got caught by something that much is for certain... I shot Vera today for the first time from 120 yards and judging by the shot vs ricochet impact time I would think the returning round would be going a lot slower, so 100 yards sounds about right...

N BTY it was awesome, I had sighted her in with my green bore sight laser first N it brought the first round just 1/2" below the aim point!! but it made me laugh because the round dug a basket ball sized hole in my berm!!! On impact it looked like someone threw a bucket of dirt in the air...

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" Sigmund Freud.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg380 View Post
Guess I'm not the only skeptic:

Finally letís consider the ricochet sound itself. Notice the Doppler effect of the sound. It drops in pitch as itís coming back toward the video camera. In reality it would be increasing in pitch (frequency) as it comes toward the observer and decreasing as it leaves the observer. Did you ever experience the sound of a train whistle coming toward you and then going away? Same effect. Dubbed in sound for the video????

I may be wrong but I donít think so."
I do. The bullet is tumbling to make the sound, and the rate of tumble is slowing due to drag. Hence, the pitch is dropping. Doppler isn't causing it.

But, without some evidence we will never know for sure.

Hankster
Old 05-20-2009, 10:16 PM

I have seen this before but this time I showed it to my 14 year old son and he noticed something I had not and so far from the post I have read no one else noticed ether....you may have to watch it back a few time but just before it hits the guy you can see the round hit the ground and change direction...It ricochet's up about I guess 10 to 15 feet in front of him. Not only dose it ricochet off the steel plate it hit the ground and ricochets up....If you watch the video and play with the slider you can see it...