1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 04-29-2009, 11:23 PM

Colt 1911 Government Model Silver Stars 45

I have a Colt 1911 Government Model Silver Star 45 that I'm trying to find out more about. This model is seen in the movie "The Rock."
Attached Thumbnails
Silver Star 1.jpg   Silver Star 2.jpg  
Old 04-30-2009, 06:35 AM
Hold my beer & watch this

I believe Colt made about 1000 of them in one run. They were Colt's first stainless 1911. That's all I've got off the top of my head.
COTEP #10
"Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some death to defy."
Old 04-30-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TransAms View Post
I believe Colt made about 1000 of them in one run. They were Colt's first stainless 1911. That's all I've got off the top of my head.
Pretty much right on...Came out in the mid 80s I think...Mine had the series 70 collet bushing...It came with a wooden case...It was a good shooter and a reliable pistol....
Old 04-30-2009, 06:51 PM

so it is a stainless and not nickle? i've searched everywhere i know to find out about it and keep coming up with nothing. is it because they only made around 1000 that i'm not finding anything on them? would i just have to call colt customer service to confirm when it was made, how many were made and anything else about it?

Last edited by Heyshway; 04-30-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyshway View Post
so it is a stainless and not nickle? i've searched everywhere i know to find out about it and keep coming up with nothing. is it because they only made around 1000 that i'm not finding anything on them? would i just have to call colt customer service to confirm when it was made, how many were made and anything else about it?

Over the years Colt has made tons of special editions. Keeping track of all of them is very difficult, since most were made in small batches of 1000 or less.

A call to Colt should give you the info you desire.

Your gun has a high polish stainless finish. It looks just like nickle, and will scratch easily, but it won't flake or cloud like nickle. The great thing about it is that if it does get scratched, you can polish it out using a little polish and a cloth.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Quote:
This model is seen in the movie "The Rock."
I thought Ed Harris simply used a pair of stainless Series 80 Governments. What information do you have that they were marked "Silver Star"?
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:57 PM

when he pulls his gun on his own man, it shows the "Silver Star" written on the side. what type of polish and cloth should i use. it has only been shot about 15 to 20 rounds, but it has a scratch on it where someone before me broke it down to clean it. it also has a small black mark on the matte finish on top. any suggestions?
Old 04-30-2009, 11:03 PM

You will here a lot of different opinions on what polish to use. The two most common seem to be Mother's Mag Polish and Flitz polish.

For a cloth just use a clean rag. Polishing usually takes time, patience, and elbow grease, and is best done by hand. Take it slow, as you don't want to over polish the area and create a bright spot.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:06 PM

thanks. any thought on the black mark? oh and any idea about the value of it?

Last edited by Heyshway; 04-30-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:48 PM

I'm not sure what black mark you mean. I can't see one in the pictures.

As for value, that can be tricky. Special editions are sometimes worth more, and sometimes they aren't worth any more than a regular production gun.

Being that yours is a Silver Star, it's probably worth more than a standard government model. The going rate for a regular MKIV government model seems to be in the $800-$900 range. Yours should be worth more than that, but then again it's only worth what someone will give you for it. You could probably fetch anywhere from $1000-$1500, depending on how bad someone wants it.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:51 AM
Administrator

Quote:
when he pulls his gun on his own man, it shows the "Silver Star" written on the side.
I beg to differ:

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/The_Rock

Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:01 AM

wrong side of the slide. it says silver star 45 on the other side of the slide. i'll see if i can find good picture of it.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Administrator

If I'm wrong I'm wrong, but to me it looks like Ed Harris' pistol is a basic brushed-stainless Government with checkered grips, while the Silver Star has a bright mirror polish and smooth grips.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:17 PM

yeah i've noticed from the pics that the grips are checkered and the silver star is smooth. but i'm pretty sure i saw it on there because after seeing it i went and looked at the pistol i have to make sure that's what i saw. i could be wrong though. it could also be just a movie glitch. i'll have to watch the movie again cause i can't find any pic online of the left side of the slide.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:31 PM
Administrator

Knowing Hollywood, a Silver Star might have been used in one scene and a standard Government Model used in the others. If you can find a good movie still of the left side it might clear it up. It wouldn't be the first time for anybody. For many years I wanted a pre-Enhanced Combat Elite after seeing one in Terminator 2. Only recently it's been discovered that the "Combat Elite" Ahnold used was actually a mixmaster creation using a Detonics frame and Colt Series 70 slide.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:55 PM

Hey, isn't Ed Harris a virulent anti-gunner in real life??? Very strange for a guy who makes gobs of money with guns in his hands.

Sorry to drift off-topic. It just gets my goat what hypocrites some of these people can be.

Last edited by TracerBullet; 05-01-2009 at 09:55 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 05-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Administrator

You can't get a job in Hollywood unless you're anti-gun. Tom Selleck is about the only exception, and he's been busted down to making only straight-to-video movies.