1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Dan Wesson

Old 01-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Banned

Lube point diagram

I tore my new CBOB apart a couple of times last night to do some internal fondling and lubrication and I'm wondering of anyone knows of a good, complete, lube point diagram for the 1911--or even specifically this one. If that's a wholly redundant statement, please excuse my newbe ignorance--I've only ever known just the Gov 1911 I carried in the 80's/90's!

Wow--I just can't say enough about this weapon. Who says money can't buy hapiness. That ought to be Dan Wesson's slogan:

"Money can buy hapiness! Dan Wesson"

Old 01-07-2009, 09:40 AM

+1 on the Diagram
Old 01-07-2009, 10:28 AM

That diagram would be nice! I haven't seen one in any 1911 owners manual yet. They just say "lube liberally". Do they mean for us to dunk it in a barrel of Break Free or Militech?!!? All playing aside, I would love to have that diagram. I'll search the web for anything and post if I see something worth posting.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:32 AM

In the 1911 Maintenance booklet you can get from Wilson, he talks specifically about how much and exactly where. I don't recall a diagram, but there may be one. Over on www.m1911.org down in "Technical Issues" there are some pretty specific instructions also.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:48 AM

This is basic information for 1911 maintenance. It seems pretty informative, but no diagrams. They do harp on teflon style oils, but that's their opinion, and we all have ours. Just use what you like and trust, just no grease until it's past break-in, and not in cold temps. I've read a few threads that say the gun w/ grease gets sluggish in colder temps, caused by the jelling of the thicker composition. Same reason you run a thinner oil in your vehicle in colder climates/states. Hope this helps

http://www.sightm1911.com/Care/1911_...tm#Maintenance Schedule
Old 01-07-2009, 11:05 AM

Simple.

remove magazine.

clear chamber

dunk it in a pail full of oil.

shake dry. ( or if your a wuss, towel dry it)

insert magazine.

chamer round.

fire.

better yet. Buy.build a gun that isnt so danm needy.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkuptruck007 View Post
remove magazine.

clear chamber

dunk it in a pail full of oil.

shake dry. ( or if your a wuss, towel dry it)

insert magazine.

chamer round.

fire.

better yet. Buy.build a gun that isnt so danm needy.
DON'T DO THAT!!!...you'll get your grips all oily
Old 01-07-2009, 12:05 PM

Field strip the 1911 and put one or two drops of oil anywhere two metal parts move/slide/rotate against one another. Frequently you will see a polished/burnished surface where this occurs.
Old 01-07-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharoah View Post
DON'T DO THAT!!!...you'll get your grips all oily
just remove the grips....
Old 01-07-2009, 01:57 PM

I found this in a Defence review article.

Not a diagram, but a pretty good write up if you ask me.

"Lubrication:
TW25B, a lightweight milky consistency Teflon bearing grease, is excellent for carry and deployment. It does not dry off, run out of crevices, and is resistant to harsh weather and sandy/gritty environments. It is my preference for general carry and mission use. For range use, a light oil such as FP-10, Militec, or Kellube is fine. I do not like Break Free since the oil needs to be shaken to mix up the Teflon particles. For tightly fitted guns, this oil tends to drain out or dry with carry, and does not provide adequate lubrication without reapplication. A good compromise is to combine a light grease, such as Lubriplate or Tetragrease, with one of the above oils. This gives the benefit of long lasting lubrication and adhesion with the lubricity of the oils. Some tightly fitted guns will not function well with straight Lubriplate or Tetra. Conversely, using straight TW25B is much less complicated and achieves the same end result. The greases can be applied with a small brush, such as the acid brushes available from Brownell’s and MSC. Simply apply some of the grease, add a few drops of oil over it, and brush evenly over the contact area.

Frame: Apply lubrication to the rails and the disconnector head. The trigger bow, hammer, sear, disconnector, and applicable Series 80 levers should be lubricated appropriately during assembly. The hammer and sear engagement surfaces should be lubricated often. I use Trigger Slick, a molybdenum disulfide grease originally marketed by Chip McCormick. Trigger Slick is now available from STI. TW25B is also effective. Throwing a drop of oil down onto the front of the hammer (while assembled) before a range session is helpful for maintaining lubrication on this critical wear area.
Slide: Lubricate the radial lugs, the rear of the hood extension, the lower lugs, link, and full diameter of the muzzle end of the barrel. The bushing/barrel contact area should be generously lubricated.
During assembly, light lubrication can also be applied to the circumference of the rear of the firing pin body (where there may be oil grooves on some brand firing pins), the middle lug and the locator pad of the extractor. These have minimal effect, but are also moving (or slightly moving) parts that may increase overall system friction, depending on your gun’s setup.

Range lube: The lubrication method outlined above will prepare your pistol for extended periods of carry and will normally be fine for a range session of 2-400 rounds, even after carrying for several weeks. While at the range for an extended session, class, etc. you may fire a larger volume of ammunition before you have a chance to strip and clean your weapon. To increase reliability between cleanings, here are some lubrication points that can help.
With the gun cocked but slide closed, place a drop of oil in front of the hammer to lubricate the hammer hooks/sear nose contact. This point is easily located between the rear of the frame and the bottom of the hammer’s strike face. Apply oil to the front of the barrel hood to lubricate the radial lug recesses – this is the most critical area to oil, as it is an area of very high friction. Too much is just fine here. Lock the slide back and apply oil to the disconnector head and to the exposed area of the barrel/bushing contact area. Put a drop of oil on your finger and rub it on the rear of the barrel hood extension. On a properly fitted match grade barrel, this area will bear fully against the breech face in lockup."

COTEP
Old 01-07-2009, 02:21 PM
Banned

Just to be sarcastic, what part of "diagram" don't we understand.

*And just to be serious, thanks for the text references too!
Old 01-07-2009, 03:14 PM

Well, not to be sarcastic.

I looked for over an hour for a lube diagram, and could not find any on the net. I am sure you could buy a book.

For now I guess as long as you can determine the locations of the parts identified in my last post, the diagram will have to be in your head.

COTEP
Old 01-07-2009, 03:22 PM

The use of sarcasm will not encourage future responses to your questions, especially when you want us to do your research for you. If diagrams were readily available don't you think they would have been so referenced?
Old 01-07-2009, 04:42 PM

If you guys need pictures I recomend getting the Wilson Combat Maaintenance Manual. It will tell you everything you need to know about taking care of a 1911.

Bob
Old 01-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHB1 View Post
If diagrams were readily available don't you think they would have been so referenced?
Which is the reason for my post...not to be sarcastic!
Old 01-07-2009, 04:50 PM

Get this. Actually get a few, then you can use them for the Valentine's Day Karma thread.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_book_401.asp
Old 01-07-2009, 05:04 PM

If you can ever get a good look at a fully disassembled well used (like a M1911A1 ) there will be no doubt in your mind where to lube.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:37 PM

dunking..

Still like my idea better.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:57 PM

You idea is incomplete. You didn't specify the weight of the oil.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:43 PM

Harley Davidson 20W-50 seems to work pretty well
Old 01-07-2009, 07:20 PM

It's not rocket science. Frame/Slide Rails, outside of barrel, barrel lugs, slide stop, hammer hooks/face. A touch of oil under the thumb safety and around the mag release.

Chow.

"I believe it was Shaw who said Winter is not a season; it's an occupation."

"You're disturbing what's left of my brain." - Jack Rebney
Old 01-07-2009, 08:07 PM

For a basic post field strip lube:
Attached Thumbnails
oiling2.jpg  
Old 02-01-2009, 04:54 PM

What do you think?

This site appears to have pictures . . . does it seem complete and accurate? Remember I'm a total newb. Gun still 2 days from delivery!

http://www.m1911.org/prodte35.htm