1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Sig Sauer

Old 01-02-2009, 12:25 AM

SIG GSR Revolution

A local gun store sells SIG 1911's and they call them "GSR Revolution". I heard early SIG GSR's had problems, is the Revolution the newer, improved version? I've owned a number of classic SIG's and love them but I've never done much looking into their 1911's...
Old 01-02-2009, 06:39 AM

Series FilledWithGarbage

Other than the fact they are NOT 'Series 70', the SIG 1911 can be a very good gun.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderTroll View Post
A local gun store sells SIG 1911's and they call them "GSR Revolution". I heard early SIG GSR's had problems, is the Revolution the newer, improved version? I've owned a number of classic SIG's and love them but I've never done much looking into their 1911's...
The SIG 1911 was originally called the GSR Revolution and the slide had Sig Arms stamped on it. SInce the company is now Sig Sauer, they dropped the GSR for some reason. Now they're simply called Revolution. Initially they had some QC issues, but if you stay with serial #'s above 12xxx you'll be fine. They're an excellent shooting, very accurate pistol. Even if you have an issue they have a lifetime warranty and a good customer service dept. especially if you talk to Victoria. I have a GSR Compact stainless that is 11 months old. I've put 6,200 rounds through it and had an ejector loosen up on me. They got the gun on Dec. 15 and I had it back in my hands on the 18th. You may hear people on the different forums that bash Sig, but some of them have never owned a GSR. Most of the people who own a GSR love them. Good Luck on your decision.

NRA Life Member
Colt Series 80 Government
Sig GSR Compact Stainless
Old 01-02-2009, 07:01 PM

A few of the SWAT guys at my dept. carry Sig 1911's if that tells you anything. I think they are actually pretty good guns as well.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:49 PM

I have two Sig 1911's, both of them are post "Revolution". Both are excellent
pistols. I've spoken with two highly experianced pistol smiths, re: bad reputation of early Sig 1911's. Both told me the same thing.. that is, 'they were no better and no worse than any of the other semi-custom limited production 1911's.'
Old 01-03-2009, 11:07 PM

Sig GSR

My Sig GSR nitron rail is my duty weapon with which I depend on daily. It is dead accurate and functions flawlessly. I could not have bought a better pistol at four times the price. Mine is a June 2007 manufacture. I think the GSRs are the best deal in 1911 pistols hands down. For under $1,000 you get a forged stainless steel weapon that is hand fitted with no plastic or MIM parts that will shoot super tight groups. If only I needed or could afford another one. Hey, maybe it is time to start saving for that GSR RCS!
Old 01-04-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotec117 View Post
My Sig GSR nitron rail is my duty weapon with which I depend on daily. It is dead accurate and functions flawlessly. I could not have bought a better pistol at four times the price. Mine is a June 2007 manufacture. I think the GSRs are the best deal in 1911 pistols hands down. For under $1,000 you get a forged stainless steel weapon that is hand fitted with no plastic or MIM parts that will shoot super tight groups. If only I needed or could afford another one. Hey, maybe it is time to start saving for that GSR RCS!

These are both all stainless. The Nitron finish is the best of all my Sigs (ever). Mirror polish on feed ramps and barrel throat. slide champhered where it meets the frame, flawless checkering, ZERO malfunctions of any kind. 3 dot night sites. Lanyard MSH. They came w/ 3, 8 rnd mags. these were $1029.
stainless from here in Az. the Nitron from Ohio. Note the grip safety is a STI type (Slightly different upon side by side comparison).
When Sig wants to, they can build a pistol as fine as anyone. These are my proof.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergus View Post
The SIG 1911 was originally called the GSR Revolution and the slide had Sig Arms stamped on it. SInce the company is now Sig Sauer, they dropped the GSR for some reason. Now they're simply called Revolution. Initially they had some QC issues, but if you stay with serial #'s above 12xxx you'll be fine. They're an excellent shooting, very accurate pistol. Even if you have an issue they have a lifetime warranty and a good customer service dept. especially if you talk to Victoria. I have a GSR Compact stainless that is 11 months old. I've put 6,200 rounds through it and had an ejector loosen up on me. They got the gun on Dec. 15 and I had it back in my hands on the 18th. You may hear people on the different forums that bash Sig, but some of them have never owned a GSR. Most of the people who own a GSR love them. Good Luck on your decision.
This contains some incorrect info. The initial SIG 1911's were simply called GSR which stands for Granite Series Rail. The "Revolution" series is post "man hole" slides when SIG brought everything back in house and made them complete instead of just assembling with little finishing. The current GSR's are indeed all "Revolution series" pistols, in late 08 they changed the rollmarkings so they no long say "Revolution" on the slide. Serial numbers to look for are 7xxx and above.

I do agree that they are quite excellent and very accurate. I carry mine 4 days out of the week. I have owned and currently own several style 1911's, while the SIG is non traditional with its external extractor and SIGesque slide, it is every bit a 1911.

Last edited by The Body Bagger; 01-05-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Body Bagger View Post
This contains some incorrect info. The initial SIG 1911's were simply called GSR which stands for Granite Series Rail. The "Revolution" series is post "man hole" slides when SIG brought everything back in house and made them complete instead of just assembling with little finishing. The current GSR's are indeed all "Revolution series" pistols, in late 08 they changed the rollmarkings so they no long say "Revolution" on the slide. Serial numbers to look for are 7xxx and above.

I do agree that they are quite excellent and very accurate. I carry mine 4 days out of the week. I have owned and currently own several style 1911's, while the SIG is non traditional with its external extractor and SIGesque slide, it is every bit a 1911.
I respectfully have to disagree. I have a Compact that is marked "GSR SigArms" plus "Revolution Compact" AND it has the man hole cover on the rear of the slide. Serial # 11xxx.

NRA Life Member
Old 01-06-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:

The Article I read on the development of the Sig 1911 stated that GSR stands for Granite State Revolution, (New Hampshire is the Granite State) the "manhole" versions were indeed called Revolution, and many examples are
for sale on internet and elsewhere. When I called Sig to ask about the two examples shown above I was told they were NOT "Revolution" series 1911's.
the Serial numbers are both less than 2000, and both have manufact dates of 2008. They do not say Revolution on them anywhere. The Nitron says 1911 on the left side of slide. (thats all) And the Stainless says GSR on the left side of slide (thats all).
Old 01-07-2009, 04:01 PM

Higher serial # guns are rock solid reliable. The early SIG 1911's suffered from almost too much love. Too many high end quality parts that didn't work well together coupled with Caspian frames and slides and SIG really didn't have the experience to integrate all this "goodness" into a reliable 1911.

I have a 5" SS that I use primarily as my competition gun and it has been extraordinarily reliable. Trigger breaks like a glass rod with no discernable creep or take-up.

Now if I could just live up to this pistol I would be a Grand Master. Like that's gonna happen.

RMD
Old 01-07-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onegoodshot View Post
The Article I read on the development of the Sig 1911 stated that GSR stands for Granite State Revolution, (New Hampshire is the Granite State) the "manhole" versions were indeed called Revolution, and many examples are
for sale on internet and elsewhere. When I called Sig to ask about the two examples shown above I was told they were NOT "Revolution" series 1911's.
the Serial numbers are both less than 2000, and both have manufact dates of 2008. They do not say Revolution on them anywhere. The Nitron says 1911 on the left side of slide. (thats all) And the Stainless says GSR on the left side of slide (thats all).
The man hole cover GSR's have not been made since 2006. GSR indeed stands for Granite Series Rail - Matt Mclearn who headed up the 1911 design at SIG would probably knowhttp://www.gunweek.com/2004/feature0310.html

Try again. Here is some actual first hand experience:
My own early 2008 - serial number 7xxx Revolution No "man hole"

Since 2006http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-187817.html

Quote:
I respectfully have to disagree. I have a Compact that is marked "GSR SigArms" plus "Revolution Compact" AND it has the man hole cover on the rear of the slide. Serial # 11xxx.
Compacts have different serial numbers, I wasn't aware that the OP was asking about compact models.

Last edited by The Body Bagger; 01-07-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
The man hole cover GSR's have not been made since 2006. GSR indeed stands for Granite Series Rail - Matt Mclearn who headed up the 1911 design at SIG would probably knowhttp://www.gunweek.com/2004/feature0310.html

Try again. Here is some actual first hand experience:
My own early 2008 - serial number 7xxx Revolution No "man hole"

Since 2006http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-187817.html

Compacts have different serial numbers, I wasn't aware that the OP was asking about compact models.
Point taken; I just realized that he didn't specify what size.
I also realize that I think we're talking about diff. man holes. I assume you're talking about on the side of the slide? I was referring to the one on the rear
of the slide.

NRA Life Member

Last edited by supergus; 01-07-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Point taken; I just realized that he didn't specify what size.
I also realize that I think we're talking about diff. man holes. I assume you're talking about on the side of the slide? I was referring to the one on the rear
of the slide.
Haha, yes the one on the slide, its the easiest way to differentiate between the original GSR's and the Revolution models at a quick glance.
From another member here.

Last edited by The Body Bagger; 01-08-2009 at 02:07 AM.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:11 PM

[QUOTE=The Body Bagger;2030522]The man hole cover GSR's have not been made since 2006. GSR indeed stands for Granite Series Rail - Matt Mclearn who headed up the 1911 design at SIG would probably knowhttp://www.gunweek.com/2004/feature0310.html

I read the article by Scott Smith that says GSR stands for Granite Series Rail,
And Scott indeed contributes this to Matt McLearn, in the article.
I started looking through my old Sig catalogues, found it interesting that only one model out of NINE was offered with a rail... yet they are all labeled GSR.. and interestingly...Revolution.
I know it would be the first time a gun magazine got it wrong.. but I wonder....
Old 01-08-2009, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onegoodshot View Post
I started looking through my old Sig catalogues, found it interesting that only one model out of NINE was offered with a rail... yet they are all labeled GSR.. and interestingly...Revolution.
I know it would be the first time a gun magazine got it wrong.. but I wonder....
Back in late 2003 for early 2004, they were only offered in a rail version. The non railed GSR's came out the following year after there was much complaining about the non traditional slide profile, the non traditional external extractor, and the the rail making it impossible at the time to find holsters for them (as 5 years ago, rail framed 1911's were virtually non existent).

Here is a good preview of the then soon to be brand new for 2004 Sig 1911's From that other site

Another link
Another on the developement

I've provided you with fact, take it as however you please, my only aim is to educate you on the GSR.

Last edited by The Body Bagger; 01-08-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:01 PM

Now I'm confused This is my GSR. #11xxx. Bought in 2008.

NRA Life Member
Old 01-08-2009, 11:12 PM

As I already explained earlier, the compacts have altogether different serial numbers. Such is the case with any other manufacturer with variances of frames. For example, Glock G17s and G19s do not have the same serial number sequence as they are two different guns.

Last edited by The Body Bagger; 01-08-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Back in late 2003 for early 2004, they were only offered in a rail version. The non railed GSR's came out the following year after there was much complaining about the non traditional slide profile, the non traditional external extractor, and the the rail making it impossible at the time to find holsters for them (as 5 years ago, rail framed 1911's were virtually non existent).

Here is a good preview of the then soon to be brand new for 2004 Sig 1911's From that other site

Another link
Another on the developement

I've provided you with fact, take it as however you please, my only aim is to educate you on the GSR.
Thanks B/Bagger.. I'll take it... I always like learning new stuff... Still abit confused...but prob not as confused as the folks at Sig. They build pistols in their shop that Customer Service/ Marketing never heard of.. I sure like these two...
Old 01-09-2009, 07:04 PM

Waiting on Mine

I ordered my SIG 1911 Nitron Rail right after I learned that Santa missed it on my Christmas list (he's getting old and forgetful. My wife was cool about it. She simply said "Get it before Obama does".
Old 01-09-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bags30 View Post
I ordered my SIG 1911 Nitron Rail right after I learned that Santa missed it on my Christmas list (he's getting old and forgetful. My wife was cool about it. She simply said "Get it before Obama does".
What was the price on the Nitron Rail ?? If you don't mind.
G35
SW1911 #108285
Old 01-17-2009, 10:32 AM

Sig has actually completely dropped "Revolution" and "GSR." They are merely the Sig 1911 series in different variants. Anything for sale that says either is just an older model.

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/Sho...?categoryid=25
Old 01-17-2009, 11:47 AM

It's easy to see how we could all get confused on the generations and markings of the SIG 1911, as they seem to change about as frequently as most of us change our underwear! My SIG stainless carry states on the box that it was made in November of 2008, and it simply states "GSR Sigarms" on the left side of the slide, and nothing on the right side. It's serial number is GSC011XX. At lease Sig marks on the plastic box the production month/year of production which is more than some manufacturers do.

Last edited by wproct; 01-17-2009 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
...they seem to change about as frequently as most of us change our underwear!
You took away any opportunity for silliness by using the word "most."
Old 01-17-2009, 09:32 PM

I noticed there where not any STX's on the thread. This might be considered close to their top gun and it is very well made and accurate.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by PghJim; 01-17-2009 at 09:35 PM.