1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 12-25-2008, 01:28 PM

King's Gun Works??

King's Gun Works

King's has been around a long time. Does anyone have any experience with the quality of King's parts compared to Wilson, Brown, etc that everyone is using nowadays?

Thanks,

Gomez
Old 12-25-2008, 05:15 PM

As I understand it from them the gunsmithing business has been sold and the parts business is still for sale. Their parts as best described by me is state-of-the-art for the 60's. Some parts are unique but are shipped in the rough and require a lot of finishing to obtain an attractive part.

LOG

Old 12-25-2008, 06:50 PM

I have used some of their black triggers and thumb safeties recently and they appear to be good parts. In the past I used one of their barrel bushings also with success.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:25 AM

There have been two people here with problems with their thumb safeties sitting too high in relation to the sear. I am one of them.

I simply can't recommend them at this point. The thumb safety looked hurried, and the hammer/safety retention pin was not round at the end, where it dovetails into the safety.

I hear they were very good at one point in time. I wish I knew what's happening with them.

Josh <><
Old 12-30-2008, 02:56 AM

The gunshop itself and the gunsmithing side of Kings is now under new management. The store is now called Gun Kings.

The original owner plans to continue making parts and selling them under the Kings Gunworks moniker, however, how soon that will happen is up in the air.

I still have a few 1911 builds I'm working on, and I like the Kings ambi-safety and beavertail grip safety. They are out of ambi-safeties and I forgot to check on a beavertail the last time I was there. I'll be stopping by later on today.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:42 AM

smokers, I called them about 3 weeks ago asking about the #102 fixed sight set. The lady said they were on backorder and took my name and phone number; I haven't heard back from them yet.

If you find out anything during your visit, please let us know.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:14 PM

Stopped by Kings today. Too busy to go yesterday. They have some 1911 parts in inventory, but not a lot. I picked up a #207 super hi-hold grip safety, Series 70, stainless and a couple of allen head grip screws.

I saw a couple of triggers, slide stops, hammers, barrel bushings, recoil spring plugs, mag catches, barrel links, small pins. No ambi thumb safeties.

Doesn't look like they will be getting in any new parts for a while.
Old 12-31-2008, 04:26 PM

Smokers, thanks for letting us know. I think I'll just have to find another source for a fixed rear sight that is much like the Kings #102 Military NM. Sounds like they are about ready to bite the dust.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazindaily View Post
...Sounds like they are about ready to bite the dust.
I don't think so. I spoke with one of the ladies in parts sales last week. She said that they had a couple of offers to buy the parts business so it may soon be a separate business than the gun store. In the mean time she said the parts business is in limbo until a deal is final.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:04 PM

I spoke with a lady yesterday at the number pulled off the old website. She said that the parts business is now a separate entity and they are accepting mail-in orders only right now. No phone number, no email, no website as of yet, but still in business.

I've got an order going out in tomorrow's mail. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berryhill View Post
I don't think so. I spoke with one of the ladies in parts sales last week. She said that they had a couple of offers to buy the parts business so it may soon be a separate business than the gun store. In the mean time she said the parts business is in limbo until a deal is final.
The reputation and good will built up over the years by King's is too valuable to let it go. When the owners decided to retire, they decided to split the retail walk in store from the mail order parts business. The retail store finally changed hands about 3 weeks ago. It is called Gun Kings Armory. King's Gun Works will still be selling parts via mail order only. Whatever was left in inventory is still in the retail store.

In the meantime, I still have a few projects I'm working on. Guess I better get busy and make out a needs list. I never used to worry about it before because I'd just drive over to King's and get whatever I needed.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:00 PM

I grew up in Glendale. I'll bet you can still find my fingerprints on the glass display cases somewhere in that store!
Old 01-12-2009, 12:18 PM

A couple of months ago, I stopped in to pick up an ambi safety, as I was told that theirs worked best with a Para P-14. They only had two left and one was spoken for...so I probably got the last one. They had signs up saying that they no longer accepted gunsmithing work, or I would have had them install it. (I ended up having Mike's on Artesia in Long Beach put it in.)

I have a custom Commander built by them many years ago. Essex frame, Colt slide, S&W revolver rear sight, and everything else by King's - adj trigger, bushing, beavertail grip safety, etc. It is a very accurate gun, and I won Class A at my club with it for a couple of years.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:02 PM

King's

Since I didn't see this thread before ordering about $250 in parts from them last week, we'll be learning in a couple of weeks how they're doing on parts resupply. I've always preferred their ambi safeties since I have 8 at last count made by other manufacturers in my junk parts box that the right side broke after some number of range trips and matches. The King's part holds up, have yet to break one of theirs because it loads that extra pin instead of those little ears on the split shaft.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:42 PM

They do have parts in stock, just not everything in their catalog. A lot of folks have been asking specifically for their ambi thumb safety. I bought one a while back, put it away then couldn't find it. So I went and bought another one. Now I'm glad I've "stocked up" so to speak because they are out.

I did a web search and found one outfit selling them for $95!

If the parts you ordered are in stock, you shouldn't have any problem getting them. I just bought a high-hold grip safety and a trigger.
Old 11-05-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppcgm View Post
Since I didn't see this thread before ordering about $250 in parts from them last week, we'll be learning in a couple of weeks how they're doing on parts resupply. I've always preferred their ambi safeties since I have 8 at last count made by other manufacturers in my junk parts box that the right side broke after some number of range trips and matches. The King's part holds up, have yet to break one of theirs because it loads that extra pin instead of those little ears on the split shaft.
And the answer is ... they seem to have given up. I'd gotten a catalog from them and just tossed it on the pile and might have eventually thrown it away but my Godson was over and started leafing through it and found my check stapled to a page with a copy of my order. I'd hoped they would ship what they had. But they didn't try to partially fill the order at all, just sent back all my money. Weird.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:07 PM

Too bad but not unexpected.

When I talked to the new owner of the physical store last year he told me the family was trying to keep the parts business going but none of them seemed to being willing/able to work the kind of hours to make it a success.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:53 PM

That is really a shame. Despite the age of the design their ambidextrous safeties remain the most durable on the market. I still have one in my old Colt National Match that's been in there for at least 15 years and is still as solid as the day I put it in there. Try that with any of the newer designs that depend on that tiny sliver of metal to stay in one piece.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:13 PM

King's makes some of the toughest parts available today.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:31 PM

Hi all.
I have a Colt Officers model In S.S. with a King comp barrel installed In It that I had done In PA. many years ago, It was installed by a gunsmith and he said that the pistol shot better than any 5" 1911 Colt from a random rest that he has ever worked on, I still have It and shoot It from time to time, It was my main carry pistol for about 10 years that we lives In the Pocono's In PA. That's the only dealings I ever had with the king Gun Works.
Semper Fi all. Hank D.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdragon52 View Post
King's makes some of the toughest parts available today.
Interesting claim considering that Kings doesn't make parts any more.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Berryhill View Post
Interesting claim considering that Kings doesn't make parts any more.
That's just a sad state of affairs, there!

I had big plans. I believe I'll be going with Brown parts now, unless Wilson's Bulletproof ambi turns up as an aftermarket part soon.

Josh
Old 12-24-2009, 08:44 AM

I still have a new Kings ambi safety in inventory along with a couple of their other parts.
Anyone interested in them can e-mail me at [email protected] or call me after Christmas at the shop.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old 12-24-2009, 11:32 AM

E-Mail en-route to Hunter re Commander 'drop in' grip safety.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:35 PM

The last time I spoke to the people who answered the old King's number, they said the parts business was closed at the time and they were in negotiations to sell the inventory to one of the large supply companies, i.e., MidwayUSA, Brownells, etc. Sure would like to see King's stay in business in some capacity.