1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 12-19-2008, 10:54 AM

extractor - ejector tuning

I am being smacked in the face/head with to many fired 45 ACP cases.
Most tips on tuning the extractors are for reliability. Mine extract and eject 100%, but I need any tips to keep the brass out of my face. I have adjusted the extractor tension from strong to weaker and doesn't keep all the brass away from my face. Also have beveled the bottom of the extractor per the 45 Auto gunsmithing book by Kuhnhausen, but would appreciate any tips. Do you just have to live with it? It happens on my new Colt Govt. Model also, and I have not touched that extractor. only Colt has. It seems that the least tension and still reliable would allow the brass to eject soonest???
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by lashlaruhe; 12-19-2008 at 11:44 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:43 PM

Check out Brazoscustom.com.
He has an article called "ejection perfection."

I literally feel your pain regarding brass hitting the face. One of my Colts, irregardless of light or strong tension on my extractor, ejects at least 1 round out of 20 into my face. Edited: I did send this problem Colt off to a VERY regarded smith (will leave his name out for fear of disbelief) he did a full reliability job, slightly lowered the ejection port (claimed spent brass was hitting this too hard..) 'tuned' the extractor, filed a bit on the ejector, etc....He still did not cure the ejection issues.

Ejector tuning is part witchcraft for even talented smiths. It is not often an easy fix.

I would call Brazos and maybe he can fix your gun for a moderate fee, though I think he only works on race guns.

"I believe it was Shaw who said Winter is not a season; it's an occupation."

"You're disturbing what's left of my brain." - Jack Rebney

Last edited by leade45; 12-20-2008 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:27 PM

I agree and have found that it seems to happen more with new guns. Hopefully yours will calm down after a few hundred rounds. I did have one S&W that was a real problem but after I swapped out the recoil spring from the stock 16 to 1 17.5 it behaved.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:32 PM

It is a lot easier to just move head.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:17 PM

About a month ago I ask the same question about brass hitting me in the face. I had very good comments and things to try. I did the extractor adjustment, I polished the ejector and polish the beveling around the ejection hole and still the brass would ding me in the face.

Being a Marksmanship Instructor for the Marine Corps with 12 years experience I would have never thought that it could be me, hey I am well seasoned in shooting, I teach other people to shoot.
One of the suggestions I had was that it could be me. So I took a video of me shooting all three of my .45's. Well I was shocked on what I saw. Every now and then the gun would rotate counter clockwise just enough for that brass to go straight up and back right to my face.

My suggestion is that you take a video of yourself shooting then analyze it for correction if any, specifically look for the canting of the gun to the left.

You could also wear a brain bucket/better know as a helmet.

Good luck
Old 12-20-2008, 05:07 AM

sometimes

Sometimes, one can 'tune' the ejector; change its length (ever-so-slightly), change its tip profile (ever-so-slightly), just a bit of change.
One can also send it to a professional competent pistolsmith.

Regardless, since "face ejection" is a potential safety issue, and a HUGE distraction to accurate enjoyable shooting, and a possible reliability concern, do something.

Utterly unacceptable condition; fix or replace gun.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:33 AM
Banned

Anyone having the brass-forehead interface problem with an original ejection port type?

Relieving the slide aft of the ejection port seems to be a common modification and is present on many new pistols, right from the factory. I've determined that the purpose of this recess is to keep the brass casings from striking the slide and marring it. Rather than just polish the brass marks off with a little CLP and a brush the slide gets recessed.

As a betting man I'm getting the impression that the brass in the forehead syndrome is releated to this fix-for-cosmetic-purposes modification. If the brass struck the rear edge of the ejection port it seems it'd be kicked off to the side and not at your forehead.

-- Chuck
Old 12-20-2008, 04:24 PM

Years ago a good friend bought a Colt Combat Commander from one of the Big Name custom 1911 smith's shop. I won't mention the name out of of professional courtesy. Anyhow this thing would chuck brass into the face of everyone that shot it. I worked that gun over for months and we never got it to stop doing that. Nothing we tried would change the ejection path. And we tried EVERYTHING. He finally got sick of it and sold it to some other poor dude. I have seen other Colts do this. I'm not saying it can't be fixed and I'm not trashing Colts but there's something bizarre going on with a few of them pony guns.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:29 PM

The best instuctions on tuning an extended ejector are found in Ed Brown's 1911 Bench Reference. If you're unable to access this information I can describe it in pretty good detail...let me know; should help a great deal as long as you're dealing with a properly tuned extractor.
Mark
Old 12-24-2008, 09:58 AM

extractor - ejector tuning

Thanks to all your help. I used the website you provided and also Bill Wilson's information and the problem has been resolved. I thought that sending the Colt back was about my last option, so I used a after market extractor and carefully filed and smoothed it with crocus cloth per instructions and it works as it should now.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:52 AM

Quote: "It is a lot easier to just move head."
Sure seems that way, sometimes! Not a Colt thing at all, BTW.
Interesting tips about the fix, Mark. Thanks!