1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > Range Reports

Old 11-13-2008, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Bersa Thunder Concealed Carry

Purchased a new Bersa Thunder Concealed Carry model, in .380 acp, a few days ago. Got to shoot it for the first time today.

The Bersa cost me $289 and came with only one magazine. It is a DA/SA style with a de-cocker. The pistol is silver colored - probably either stainless or nickle-plated, I can't tell which. The sights are unique in that I've not seen this type on any other pistol. They're a 3-dot type, but with very small red dots. The dots are in tiny little "ramps" rising off the top of the slide. But, they're very, very small and definitely snag free. The pistol is very thin, measuring about 7/8" at the widest part of the grips.

The pistol has a nice little loaded chamber indicator and all the other normal controls - mag release, slide stop and de-cocker. It also has a lock. Everything works fine, but the de-cocker takes quite a bit of effort to operate. Nothing at all like "swiping" the thumb safety on a 1911.

At the range today, I shot it at 5, 10, 15 and 25 yards with my handloads. Approximately 75 rounds were fired and the pistol worked flawlessly. At 10 yards the pistol shot to point-of-aim. The pistol capacity is 8+1. I only loaded 8 and didn't "top it off". The ten yard 8-shot group was about 2.5" (estimated, not measured). At 15 yds and 25 yds the shots started straying to the left. At 25 yards the group size was about 5" and was about 3-4" left of center.

The single action trigger pull was smooth and about 5# (estimated). The double action trigge pull was a little gritty and probably around 10#.

I tried one "speed drill" at 5 yards. With the pistol "de-cocked" and at the low ready, at the sound of the timer I raised the pistol to my line of sight, and sighted down the barrel without actually aligning the sights, and fired 8 rounds as fast as I could, keeping the pistol under control. The shots were fired in 2.98 seconds and all 8 were in about a 4" circle "center-of-mass".

I am highly pleased with this little Bersa. It looks like it would be an nice little pistol to carry concealed, either in an ankle holster, pocket holster, or IWB.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:43 PM

For the money, the Bersa is a good little gun. I got the basic Bersa Thunder .380 for my wife and for me to be able to carry a backup at times. Mine has been flawless too. While I haven`t shot it out to 25 yards, the 10 and 15 yard groupings were pretty much as you desribed above. Mine has the three dot sights...but they are just plain white, and very easy to acquire. I hope you enjoy yours like we enjoy ours.

The Mans Prayer...."I am a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess."....Quoted from the Red Green Show.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:53 PM

There is an article on the Bersa in the current issue of Gun Tests Magazine. They really liked it.

Tom
Old 12-03-2008, 10:17 PM

i like my little thunder, neat little package and conceals very well
i did loose a rear sight screw somewhere around round 300, gander mountain put me in a new one under warranty
bersa has a great warranty to, its forever if your the original owner
mine came with two mags and a set of rubber grips and wood grips, i found the wood grips to be best for feel, plus a great bulldog carry bag that holds my XD and the 1911
they have a webiste to called www.bersatalk.com
its small but growing
Old 12-04-2008, 04:29 PM

I wish I could post a similar positive experience with my Bersa Thunder Concealed Carry. I paid $220 for mine at a going out of business sale at one of the local shops, which initially I was pleased about, but the thing has been a headache since. I consistently has FTF after FTF. Doesn't matter what kind of ammo, I've tried every flavor of .380 I can get my hands on, and I'm using the supplied 8rnd magazine. It was going to be my Wife's CC piece but I just didn't feel safe with her carrying that piece so I got her a PPK instead. Wow, what a difference!