1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 10:24 AM

Gun finishes: Who does DLC?

Hi Guys,

I just bought a Kimber Stainless 1911 in .40 S&W from a local dealer.
It is an older style pistol (2002, unfired, new in box) with a matte finish.
I am contemplating having the slide finished in black (I love that 2-tone look).
After searching and reading past postings on this site regarding gun finishes,
I think I have decided on a DLC coating for its reputation for durability

Can anyone recommend an outfit who does DLC coatings?
Are there any in NY state?

Thanks
Old 11-11-2008, 12:09 PM

Not to sound ignorant..what's DLC?
Old 11-11-2008, 07:00 PM

DLC= diamond like coating

see link--http://www.ionbond.com/

The only place that I know that is doing this is:
IONBOND
7856 McColud Road
Greensboro NC 27409
1 336 665 0005

One of my 2011 pistol has this coating seems to be holding up great, but it only has about 10,000 rounds through it--time will tell. The material does stand up to great against kydex holsters.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:01 PM

Springer Precision is also doing Ionbond. See here:

http://www.springerprecision.com/

Have you considered Melonite? Similar in performance to Ionbond, but generally less expensive.
Drake's Gun Works and Coal Creek Armory do Melonite.

Then there is EGW's E-treat, which is essentially Melonite. Also there is Hard Hat by David Severns (a mod here).

There are a number of options, just depends on exactly what you are looking for.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:24 AM
Banned

I'd bet you a dollar that Springer Precision is sending their guns to IonBond in NC. You can send your guns straight to Ryan Flynn at IonBond.

schroed62 is correct with his info. If you send a gun that way, address the label to: Attn: Ryan Flynn, Custom Shop. He can be reached at the number provided earlier, just gotta ask for him.
Old 11-12-2008, 05:22 AM

When you contact Ion Bond they will email information on costs, shipping info, and info on the coating.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:39 AM

Bob Serva at Fusion offers Ionbond also.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:30 PM

Will DLC adhere to Stainless?
Old 04-16-2009, 12:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonyman65 View Post
Will DLC adhere to Stainless?
Yes. No difference in adhesion or performance from my experience.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:41 PM
1911 Aficionado

Everyone offering IonBond is acting as a middleman for IonBond. They do not deal with individuals, only with approved "dealers". They most specifically will not discuss cost, which is between you and the dealer. You can get a list of dealers by contacting them. I sent some parts through Springer Precision, and was very pleased with the service and pricing.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:50 PM

How funny. I'm reading this thread and I hear 'Melonite' behind me. I turn around and the History Channel is doing a program on the history of salt, and they are showing the Melonite process.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bacus View Post
How funny. I'm reading this thread and I hear 'Melonite' behind me. I turn around and the History Channel is doing a program on the history of salt, and they are showing the Melonite process.
Thats weird.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsaMAjor View Post
Hi Guys,

I just bought a Kimber Stainless 1911 in .40 S&W from a local dealer.
It is an older style pistol (2002, unfired, new in box) with a matte finish.
I am contemplating having the slide finished in black (I love that 2-tone look).
After searching and reading past postings on this site regarding gun finishes,
I think I have decided on a DLC coating for its reputation for durability

Can anyone recommend an outfit who does DLC coatings?
Are there any in NY state?

Thanks
Not far from you here in Ohio you can call up Drake Oldham for Meloniting. Great guy. www.drakesgunworks.com
NRA Life Member
Old 04-16-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Everyone offering IonBond is acting as a middleman for IonBond. They do not deal with individuals, only with approved "dealers". They most specifically will not discuss cost, which is between you and the dealer. You can get a list of dealers by contacting them. I sent some parts through Springer Precision, and was very pleased with the service and pricing.
I have dealt with Ionbond on an individual basis on two different occassions. I found them very easy to deal with and had no problems getting pricing information. I did not have to go through a middleman at either time.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:56 PM
1911 Aficionado

I spoke with Ryan Flynn at some length, in February, and they will not accept shipments from non-FFLs (that includes non-serialized parts). John Q Public cannot deal with them directly, unless they've changed the policy in the last two months?
Old 04-16-2009, 01:58 PM

Strange. I did not find that to be the case in the couple times I have dealt with them. Perhaps they thought I was a dealer! lol
Old 04-16-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
I spoke with Ryan Flynn at some length, in February, and they will not accept shipments from non-FFLs (that includes non-serialized parts). John Q Public cannot deal with them directly, unless they've changed the policy in the last two months?
Last I talked to Mr. Flynn, he said the change at the turn of the year was to not accept work but through gunsmiths and dealers alone. So you are correct in your post Rick.

I believe they said they will not be doing any prep work either anymore. Unless I read the notice wrong, they will only be plating as the firearm is received.

I'm going back to read, I'll edit if necessary.

Bob

ETA: I checked my email, and I only found my 2008 correspondence where Ionbond does do custom work and preparations to the firearm for plating. I am pretty sure in my last email from him with updates to pricing and the change to dealing with Approved FFLs and Dealers, he stated they will no longer be doing prep work. I personally do all my own prep work on every gun and have industry finishers do the dipping and plating. For those that don't do their own prep work, it would be wise to check with Ionbond before sending a firearm to them for plating. This might save the shipping charges in case they send it back with a violation to their policy.

Bob

Last edited by Dr. Bob; 04-16-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:26 PM
1911 Aficionado

And I'm not trying to impress anyone with how much I know about it
Everyone says, "Call Ryan Flynn", but when I did, about all I came away with was a list of people I could call who could actually deal with IonBond. It was sort of funny, as Ryan was almost apologetic about the situation, saying their foreign parent company, for liability reasons, insists that all work go through FFLs. When I asked about pricing, he literally said, "I can't discuss that with you." They charge the FFL, and then the FFL decides how much he wants to charge you, so you have to comparison shop the dealers for the best price. I can't imagine it varies too much, though. FWIW, Springer quoted $300 for a complete gun.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:47 PM

ionbond demonized

Hello fellas,
I just was messing around on the internet and ended up here. Well, lets clear the air. In a sense you guys are all right. Heres the story and whats going on at ionbond. This is Ryan Flynn by the way. When I was hired at ionbond in 2007 they wanted to get into the custom and individual market and needed a gunsmith for the job. So they hired my ugly butt. Well after about 2 years of coating for people, they come to me at the end of last year and tell me we aren't going to coat for individuals any more for liability reasons. Well I was mad as hell. I responded with what liability concerns do you have. They said that if a customer gets a gun back from us that I put back together and it blows up we will get sued. you see where this is going. So I had to come up with the referral list that I am now sending to people and you will have to go through one of them if you don't have an FFL and want your gun coated. I am not allowed to do disassembly and reassembly any more either. I will however still prep your gun any way you like. I can't tell you what is actually going on why they took this action, but I will tell you it was a company salesman looking to get rid of me. It is a simple plan really, if you want to close a department that is getting great customer response, and making the company money, then all you have to do is cut that departments work load. So, by cutting out the individual market it killed 75 percent of my work load. if the department isn't showing growth, and sales are declining, then they can justify shutting it down. And unfortunately it has worked so far. This salesman knows that most people, especially gun nuts, don't like to be given the runaround and they will not continue to support the product. This is what has happened. But for now I am still there, maybe not to long if this post gets back to any of the big wigs, but I have honestly had enough of their political BS and that one salesmans ego. Fellas, I would offer the coating to any one wanting it but my hands are tied. Don't give up on me though. We haven't changed the coating, it is still an awsome finish for guns. If you want it you can still get it, just takes and extra step. I appreciate the support my customers have given. If you guys have any questions email me at [email protected]. And for your amusement, I believe that call sign Ionbond is the salesman stirring the pot. Well I wish you all well and look forward to coating your guns.
Thanks.
Old 04-25-2009, 07:16 AM

I can't figure out some people

gunnymadman, I feel for you man. I hope every thing works out.
The company just needs to know that that is why they hired a great gunsmith so the odds of that happening are diminished. Their are people out there that will sue company's at the drop of the hat, you can't close the doors just because your afraid of what might happen. Shoot, they could just as easily get sued by a customer who feels his gun looks more gray then black.

~Get'em Duck
Old 04-25-2009, 03:36 PM

I've had 3 1911's done by Ryan and all of them turned out great. He does a great job and the DLC not only wears great, it looks awesome!

Hang in there Ryan!

Rob
Old 04-25-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnymadman View Post
Hello fellas,
I just was messing around on the internet and ended up here. Well, lets clear the air. In a sense you guys are all right. Heres the story and whats going on at ionbond. This is Ryan Flynn by the way. When I was hired at ionbond in 2007 they wanted to get into the custom and individual market and needed a gunsmith for the job. So they hired my ugly butt. Well after about 2 years of coating for people, they come to me at the end of last year and tell me we aren't going to coat for individuals any more for liability reasons. Well I was mad as hell. I responded with what liability concerns do you have. They said that if a customer gets a gun back from us that I put back together and it blows up we will get sued. you see where this is going. So I had to come up with the referral list that I am now sending to people and you will have to go through one of them if you don't have an FFL and want your gun coated. I am not allowed to do disassembly and reassembly any more either. I will however still prep your gun any way you like. I can't tell you what is actually going on why they took this action, but I will tell you it was a company salesman looking to get rid of me. It is a simple plan really, if you want to close a department that is getting great customer response, and making the company money, then all you have to do is cut that departments work load. So, by cutting out the individual market it killed 75 percent of my work load. if the department isn't showing growth, and sales are declining, then they can justify shutting it down. And unfortunately it has worked so far. This salesman knows that most people, especially gun nuts, don't like to be given the runaround and they will not continue to support the product. This is what has happened. But for now I am still there, maybe not to long if this post gets back to any of the big wigs, but I have honestly had enough of their political BS and that one salesmans ego. Fellas, I would offer the coating to any one wanting it but my hands are tied. Don't give up on me though. We haven't changed the coating, it is still an awsome finish for guns. If you want it you can still get it, just takes and extra step. I appreciate the support my customers have given. If you guys have any questions email me at [email protected]. And for your amusement, I believe that call sign Ionbond is the salesman stirring the pot. Well I wish you all well and look forward to coating your guns.
Thanks.
Damn sorry to hear about a good man being treated that way. Loyalty doesn't seem to exist with companies any more. Hope things work out for You and they see the err of their ways.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schroed62 View Post
DLC= diamond like coating

see link--http://www.ionbond.com/

The only place that I know that is doing this is:
IONBOND
7856 McColud Road
Greensboro NC 27409
1 336 665 0005

One of my 2011 pistol has this coating seems to be holding up great, but it only has about 10,000 rounds through it--time will tell. The material does stand up to great against kydex holsters.
Schroed62, are you saying IonBond does or does not stand up to Kydex holsters? Kydex marks up my hard chromed slide. I'm looking for something that won't be scratched by repeated draws from Kydex... if that's even possible.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve J View Post
Schroed62, are you saying IonBond does or does not stand up to Kydex holsters? Kydex marks up my hard chromed slide. I'm looking for something that won't be scratched by repeated draws from Kydex... if that's even possible.
Nothing mars salt bath nitride. RC near or at a diamond. eats smiths bits for breakfast if that's any indication. cannot checker a gun that's been treated.
NRA Life Member
Old 05-15-2009, 12:43 PM
1911 Aficionado

My gun that was coated with boron carbide Diamondblack - IonBond's daddy - back in '00 is still close to pristine, despite spending time in kydex; if anything the coating will scrape kydex from your holster as you draw. I've had a blued gun in the same holster, so know exactly where to look for wear spots, and the bc-coated gun shows none. As related above, I had some small parts on the gun done in IonBond, and while the general appearance is the same as the old finish, it's blacker in color, and I expect even more wear resistant. Now that I've heard Ryan's story, I'm all the more interested in having my next gun finishing project done in IonBond!