1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 11-11-2008, 04:44 PM

Idiot Scratch Proof

This is a modification I do on just about all slide stops as it allows easy installation and doesn't affect function. It is easily done with a needle file. To install, the slide stop is positioned directly on top of the plunger and you can feel it saddle over it and push it straight in. Bingo!

LOG

Here's a picture of it in place and ready to push straight in.

Last edited by log man; 11-11-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:08 PM

Nice idea Log, now where the Hell is the rest of the Blaster! Give us a peak. R.K.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:12 PM

Your too late, bro. You messed up and quietly posted that idea on another thread awhile back, but I spotted it. It works like a bloomin' charm, and as I have done with so many other ideas I have happily swiped from this forum, I have already included this one in my repertoire.

Guess I could at least go on and belatedly thank you for the idea, though. So, . . .

Thanks!

Best,
Jon
Old 11-11-2008, 05:23 PM

Pardon my ignorance, but what does that do and what difference does the mod have?
Old 11-11-2008, 05:27 PM

Cool Jon, it's true that I had posted this idea that I'm sure others have discovered also, but just had the chance to post a picture and it clarifies the words for all to see and understand. So no more idiot scratches.

LOG

Old 11-11-2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskylinegtr View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what does that do and what difference does the mod have?

I added a second picture for you, so you can see the idea at work. Some slide stops will go in easy while many are difficult, and this modification makes all of them easy.

LOG

Old 11-11-2008, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by log man View Post
I added a second picture for you, so you can see the idea at work. Some slide stops will go in easy while many are difficult, and this modification makes all of them easy.

LOG
Ohhh ok I see thanks for that
Old 11-11-2008, 06:29 PM

Think I will give that a try tonight, Thanks.

AC
Old 11-11-2008, 06:51 PM

Just more proof that everything starts in CA.

Great Idea!
Old 11-11-2008, 07:28 PM

Log man,

Nice idea. I really like that! I never thought of taking a file and getting that extreme with it.

I do the same, except I BEVEL the edge where you made the cut. I find that most slide stops are not rounded there where they should be. Once you file a bit off, and round off that edge (that makes contact when you push it in against the plunger contact), the slide stop goes right in with very little pressure.

I also round off the edge of my magazine release (where it makes contact with the magazine) so when you insert a mag, it glides right in and locks with little pressure!

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2008, 07:33 PM

I'm pretty new to 1911's, only had mine for about 3 weeks now, but I've never had a problem getting the slide catch in. I just push down and the plunger tube seems to depress itself, cycle the slide back and forward, and the slide catch usually catches and depresses all the way in.

I have a lot more trouble getting the thumb safety in, depressing the other end of the plunger tube. I filed down the end of a plastic cheapo paint brush I use to apply Slide Glide to the pistol and was using this for a few days, but it just chipped.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16DCC View Post
Log man,
I do the same, except I BEVEL the edge where you made the cut.
Thanks!
This is the approach that I took and am sure many take and is effective in allowing easier installation, however it can reduce the profile of the bottom of the lug where it contacts the follower for slide lock at empty. This opens the door for the follower to jump the slide stop lug and jam the mag. Due to this happening I changed to this modification which doesn't change the bottom profile of the lug at all.

LOG

Old 11-11-2008, 08:54 PM

John Harrison offers this mod and I just had it done to my Baer.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:58 PM

DANG. This idea is just about 24 hours late. Put my first little scratch on my NEW Colt Combat Commander xse. CRAP. Oh well. Its broken in now so i cant cry over spilt milk. (or can i?)
Old 11-11-2008, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69charger View Post
DANG. This idea is just about 24 hours late. Put my first little scratch on my NEW Colt Combat Commander xse. CRAP. Oh well. Its broken in now so i cant cry over spilt milk. (or can i?)
I always cry over spilt milk...can't stop it. I think you can get that scratch out, though.

NRA Lifetime Member
Old 11-11-2008, 09:35 PM
1911 Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw091486 View Post
I'm pretty new to 1911's, only had mine for about 3 weeks now, but I've never had a problem getting the slide catch in. I just push down and the plunger tube seems to depress itself, cycle the slide back and forward, and the slide catch usually catches and depresses all the way in.
That's the way it's supposed to be, but since you can't expect parts to be in spec, you get plunger tubes that are too short, plungers that are too long, slide stops without the proper contours, etc.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:07 AM

Simple and ingenious!

This is a great mod!

I OFTEN change my frame to other toys I have.
The slide stop MARS are a pain, having to polish them out, wiggle
a small screwdriver in... etc.

this is AWESOME!

thanks!
Old 11-12-2008, 12:45 PM

I just got an Officers stainless, first 1911 I recall having so much difficulty getting the SS to drop in with a little push. Someone else put an idiot mark on it but I can understand that what with how hard it goes in. I'll try your mod Logman.
Parts
Old 11-12-2008, 01:45 PM

My usual smith does this also and it works great. The first guns I saw this mod on were Nighthawks a few years back.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theskylinegtr View Post
Hey sky - I got a little "finger happy" and did up a thread on idiot marks. Hope it helps explain things. Here' tis: http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=214825

Best,
Jon
Old 11-14-2008, 10:02 AM

I wonder if the modification has any affect on the strength of the Slide Stop / Release?

Understand - I am a freak, when it comes to reliability. I have had a few Slide Stops break about where that modification has been made. Sheared off.

I also have a belief that “if” the 1911 has any inherent weakness - it is in the Plunger Tube / Slide Stop design configuration (Forgive me John Browning – oh Master)…not that I have any better ideas, other than to use the strongest parts available, and maybe the ESPT or integral PT.

All that said - I also have all but one of my 1911s with scratch marks from the Slide Stop reassembly - I am an Idiot! The one 1911 that I have without scratches has just come back with DLC (before IonBond it had lots of surface scratches). Maybe just a matter of time before I scratch it again! But in the mean time I am extra careful during reassembly - not to scratch – a little concentration – not a problem - really.

A friend showed me a trick during reassembly - where he would put tape over the area were the scratches tend to happen, but it is best to take the grips off when doing that so the tape will stay in place. I usually don’t take off my grips for routine cleaning. And i won't take the time to put tape on it. Of course you remove the tape after reassembly. And I do not carry my PAWIDGET (a plastic C&S tool to hold spring loaded pins aside during reassembly) - not at all times. But if you are concerned about scratches these are both options. Ones that don't take metal from the Slide Stop.

I would not take any chance to weaken one of my slide stops to prevent a cosmetic scratch, especially an easily preventable one – not on my serious guns. Although I don’t have any collectables or works of art.

It is an interesting mod and looks like it would aid in faster - trouble/scratch free reassembly. If i ever get a collectable this is an option that i will use.

With that all that said: Do you think this mod, in any way, weakens the Slide Stop / and potentially the overall operation of the pistol?
Old 11-14-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
With that all that said: Do you think this mod, in any way, weakens the Slide Stop / and potentially the overall operation of the pistol?
Hi, Harry in answer to your question the groove is in the thickest portion of the lug itself and I don't believe it has weakened it at all. While a lug may break off the lever, for it to break through the middle would be something else. The picture is huge and makes it look more significant then it really is also. If you have a gun that is veeery difficult and you don't want to do this, simply remove the thumb safety and that will relieve all the spring pressure from the plunger.

LOG

Old 11-14-2008, 10:56 AM

Nothing is idiot proof to a sufficiently determined idiot.
Sorry.
It needed to be said.

Last edited by MegaGlide; 11-14-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by log man View Post
If you have a gun that is veeery difficult and you don't want to do this, simply remove the thumb safety and that will relieve all the spring pressure from the plunger.
OK - how do you do this with the slide on the Frame? Not sure i understand; are you suggesting that you remove the Thumb Safety to relieve the tension from the plunger during the assembly of the Slide Stop? Is there a way to remove the thumb saftey when the slide is in position (on the frame) to reassemble the slide stop (through the Barrel Link)?

Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-14-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryO45 View Post
OK - how do you do this with the slide on the Frame? Not sure i understand; are you suggesting that you remove the Thumb Safety to relieve the tension from the plunger during the assembly of the Slide Stop? Is there a way to remove the thumb safety when the slide is in position (on the frame) to reassemble the slide stop (through the Barrel Link)?

Thanks for the tip.
Yes Harry, There is never a need to remove the slide to remove the thumb safety, but may be the way you've always done it. Simply cock the hammer put the thumb safety in the disassembly position and gently pull it out enough that it releases the plunger, no need to take it all the way out either. Of course the slide does have to be in the battery position.

LOG

Last edited by log man; 11-14-2008 at 11:25 AM.