1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Caspian Arms

Old 09-08-2008, 01:32 PM

Kart Barrel

Hello

I submitted a similar question in the gunsmithing forum. I'm thinking about building a Caspain frame/slide using a KART Easy Fit barrel kit. Has anyone used this barrel kit before? Your experience would be helpful.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:53 PM
1911 Aficionado

I've installed two, one in a Colt, and the other in a Caspian frame/Colt slide. The instructions suggest that the barrel, the installation kit, and one hour of your time will result in 1" groups. I spent at least four hours on each install. Lots of checking and rechecking to ensure I wasn't messing it up. The first one resulted in my being able to shoot a five-shot cloverleaf at 15 yards, offhand, so I was pretty happy. The second one (Colt/Caspian) wasn't so straightforward, with the fit appearing solid, but with some lingering doubts that it was fitted perfectly. It got to the point where the slide would sort of bind, even though the barrel was not fully locked in battery. It passed the tests for clearances around the hood, and I couldn't locate any odd rubbing or binding between the barrel and slide, but the fit just didn't "feel" as good as the first one. If I was going to rebarrel a 1911, and Kart made an ez-fit for the application, I would certainly consider that my first option.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:04 PM

Kart

I specified a Kart barrel for the last custom 1911 I ordered from 10X. I don't know if it's the "easy fit" or just a regular Kart. But I will tell you it is a shooting trick. The thing is really, really accurate. I'd install another Kart in a heart beat.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:15 PM

look at this http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=208768

Those are all caspian frame and slide combos with kart EZ-fit barrels.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:13 PM

Hire a GOOD gun smith

I didn't find the EZ-Fit too EZ to fit. It is worth the few dollars, IMO, to have a good gun smith correctly fit the barrel and bushing, whether an EZ-Fit or hard-fit barrel.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:56 AM

I did a Kart EZ-Fit in my Caspian frame/slide combo. Since I had never fitted something like that before I really took my time and tried to understand the Why's. The instructions provided didn't leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling. Some substance intermixed with fluff. I had some books and articles to supplement the instructions. I consulted with my local gunsmith before doing the fitting and he suggested that I fit things on the tight side - much tighter than I would have done without his advice. He was right. During the fitting process I had some questions and call Kart - they were very helpful. The Caspian / Kart combo shoots super accurate and I haven't had any problems. I've been so pleased that soon I'll be building another Caspian / Kart for my Son. I suspect it will be MUCH easier the second time around because I won't be so afraid of screwing things up.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:45 PM

Can you give me Kart's phone number?
Old 09-10-2008, 10:14 PM

Kart Precision Barrel Corp.

Private Company, Headquarters Location
Shallotte, NC 28470 United States
(910) 754-5212 , (910)754-5210 fax

If your just looking to buy try Midway or Brownells
Old 09-15-2008, 12:01 PM

I want find out if Kart makes SS Barrels and not just steel barrels that rust real easy.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
I want find out if Kart makes SS Barrels and not just steel barrels that rust real easy.
That would be a big NO.Fred doesnt like stainless steel for barrels,only for pots and pans.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
If you want a stainless go with Bar-Sto.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark2734 View Post
Hello

I submitted a similar question in the gunsmithing forum. I'm thinking about building a Caspain frame/slide using a KART Easy Fit barrel kit. Has anyone used this barrel kit before? Your experience would be helpful.

Mark,Ive never used the EZ-fit Kart only the regular Kart gunsmith fit barrels.Kart barrels are excellent parts you cant go wrong.Here is a link to a gentleman that used the Kart EZ-fit barrel system on his build.

http://how-i-did-it.org/1911-project/fed_up.html
Old 09-17-2008, 09:12 PM

I've installed full gs fit Karts and EZ Fit. Both work great!
Old 09-23-2008, 10:42 PM

I bought an EZ fit for my Caspian. The bushing od was oversized for my slide and required about .002 removed to fit. It also required quite a bit of filing around the 'key' area to get it to fit. Ran out of time as the bushing took more time than expected. I'll keep you posted on the results of the final fitting. I will say my gunsmith was impressed with the barrel but disappointed in the quality of the material of the bushing.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cofaler View Post
I will say my gunsmith was . . . disappointed in the quality of the material of the bushing.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:15 AM
1911 Aficionado

Quote:
Kart barrels don't rust real easy. Of course, I've never seen rust on any of my barrels, so maybe it's just how I care for my guns?
Old 10-09-2008, 01:15 PM

Ditto. I get 'em blued, and then I remove the bluing from the hood. Have never had one rust one me, even when I've been a tad lax in maintenance.
Old 10-09-2008, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Kart barrels don't rust real easy. Of course, I've never seen rust on any of my barrels, so maybe it's just how I care for my guns?
...and living in the Northwest, everything should rust.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:57 PM

I was reading the forum of the person building his own 1911 from a parts kits and using a Kart barrel, here's the link, http://how-i-did-it.org/1911-project/fed_up.html.

One thing caught my attention. He wrote he had to finish ream the chamber. Has anyone else run into this issue with Kart barrels?
Old 10-12-2008, 12:13 AM

That is to be expected with any match grade barrel. They are left shallow on purpose to allow you to fit the barrel to slide and frame for maximum lug engagement. Then and only then should the barrel be finish reamed to final dimension.