1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Ammo Can

Old 09-26-2001, 03:11 PM

Frangible Ammo for Airplanes?

With all this talk about "carry-on 1911s for pilots", what would be the best ammo to use in order that planes won't "blow out" at 31,000 ft during a shoot out?

themao

PS: I like the idea of a "carry-on 1911 "
Old 09-26-2001, 04:44 PM

Anything less that 20mm API.

Aircraft leak air, that is the way they are made, so the internal pressures can be regulated. A .45 thru the body or window of an aircraft is not going to cause explosive decompression. All the machinery has to do is close down the exit vents and pump in more air. What people don't want to hit are electronics and hydraulic lines that may affect the plane's flight. But since there are so many redundant systems taking one out should not cause much problem.

If I were allowed to tote my 1911 on a commercial aircraft, I think I'd load it with some of the old Thunderzap polymer HP's at over 2,000 fps. No chance of the bullet exiting the BG or really going thru the skin of the air craft.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited 09-27-2001).]
Old 09-26-2001, 05:15 PM
Administrator

THANK YOU JIM V!

Nice to hear someone else disspell those pesky myths...

Old 09-26-2001, 08:12 PM

ThunderZaps eh? Heheheheheh. It sounds like some sort of bug repellant.

themao
Old 09-27-2001, 05:39 AM

Themao, yes a "bug" repellant of a sort. Thunder and something is zapped. Very little recoil (real light bullet), they function most 1911 pistols and like Frank James said in an article about them, "If they don't kill ya', they'll give ya the worse hickey in the world."

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

Old 09-27-2001, 12:38 PM

What about the Glasers? Wasn't this the sort of thing the were designed for?
Old 09-27-2001, 05:43 PM

Jack Cannon, inventor of Glasers, designed them at the early part of the sky jacking thing. I had several exchanges of mail with him regarding his invention but can not remember if he designed them for anti-highjacker work or just anti-personnel work in general. The first Glasers I got from Jack were in .38 Special and .357 Magnum and the bullet looked like a pink eraser stuck in the case.

He kept sending me different rounds and wanted me to tell him how they worked. As if I was going to go out and ding some wino to test his ammo or something. I don't think the chief at the time would have been happy with me if I did.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

Old 09-28-2001, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by themao:
With all this talk about "carry-on 1911s for pilots", what would be the best ammo to use in order that planes won't "blow out" at 31,000 ft during a shoot out?

themao

PS: I like the idea of a "carry-on 1911 "
The pilots I listen to are not overly concerned about pistol bullet holes in the aircraft since the plane loses more air than that as a matter of routine. While hitting hydraulic lines or wiring may be of a bit more concern there is much redundancy in commercial aircraft.

Considering that the number 2 cause of failures to stop is lack of penetration (the number one cause is poor marksmanship) I would rather trust to a good hollow point or even ball than a "frangible" bullet which when shot well might not penetrate more than 2 or 3".

Not doubt there is so much hype associated with this topic and something "cool" will be adopted, I hope it does not get the wrong people killed.

Cordially,
Jim Higginbotham

Old 10-06-2001, 09:39 PM

On a plane there is a lot of people in a small narrow area so I would be worried about a round going threw the Bad Guy and into a passenger still probebly unlikely for it too do all that but it could happen.