1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Ammo Can

Old 09-22-2001, 01:40 AM

Hydrashok stove pipe

My Kimber CDP Compact dosn't seem to like the Fed Hydra-shok. I will get a serious FTF every 15th round or so that requires alot of fumbling to un-do. Other hollow point's feed reliably. Needless to say this will not be the ammo I carry. Any others have this problem?

TIA Buck
Old 09-22-2001, 12:00 PM

What kind of failure to feed are you getting? I have never heard of the Hydra-Shok causing problems in a 1911 type pistol. Is the pistol new, or broken in?
Old 09-22-2001, 09:11 PM

I have used Hydra-shoks in several Colts and a S/A full size with no problems.
Old 09-23-2001, 12:06 AM

My Kimber has about 1200 rounds thru it. During that time I have had (0) FTF with Remington or Fiocchi HP with 100 rounds each.
The Hydra-shok nose-dive into the feed ramp and hang up there, witch requires removing the mag and letting the round fall free.

Quite frankly the Ball ammo that I predominatly use is not all that trouble free either. I get a FTB or FTF about ever 75th round, enought to concern me, but not enought to return the gun.

Buy the way, I use Wilson mags.
Old 09-23-2001, 09:09 AM

Has your extractor been adjusted?
Old 09-23-2001, 01:31 PM

First, try a different follower. If the slide catches the back of the round at the wrong angle, it will crank it right into the feed ramp. Sometimes this will work, when everything else has failed. I have always used round topped followers; flat followers and 8 round followers don't work for me all of the time. When I am testing a round for feeding, there is one magazine I have that I can count on--that is my 7 round, round follower Pachmayr Stainless magazine. This magazine has NEVER failed. I carry these as my duty magazines for my Colt.

Check the feed lips on your magazines, and also check the tightness of the magzzine fit. There should be minimal play in the magazine when it is seated.

If none of this works, take the gun to a pistolsmith, and have them measure the feed ramp angle. The Hydra-Shok has the same feed profile as hardball, so it should have no problems feeding.

------------------
"Be not afraid of any man, no matter what his size;

When trouble rises, call on me and I will equalize."
Old 09-24-2001, 11:29 AM

If you do decide not to carry Hydroshok ammo, may I suggest the 230 grain Speer Gold Dot. It is accurate and more importantly reliable in all my .45's.
Old 09-24-2001, 04:59 PM

The Gold Dot is a super round. I personally prefer the 185 grain +P (talk about thump!!). But I have heard good things about the 230 grain as well.

------------------
"Be not afraid of any man, no matter what his size;

When trouble rises, call on me and I will equalize."
Old 09-24-2001, 06:30 PM

If I couldn't carry the Hydras I'd switch over to the Remingtons.
Old 09-25-2001, 05:45 AM

Ditto Powderman and JRJ. I use Speer Gold Dot's with nary a problem in my Kimber Compact CDP.