1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's

Old 08-19-2008, 05:08 PM

1911 for CCW?

Okay, so I'm on the prowl for another 1911. Wantin' this one for concealed carry.

I'm REALLY diggin' the idea of the Commander slide/Officer's frame combo, tho only Kimber & Sig seem to be doing 1911s in 'em right now.

I'm a bit leery of the Officer's/compact size, as I read a lot about reliability probs with the shorter ones & the complicated trickery required to make 'em run- bushingless barrels, full length guide rods, dual springs, etc.

Any truth to that?

So.... my first 2 choices are the Sig C3 or the Kimber Compact CDP II.

Other possibilities include the DW Commander CLS Bobtail, Kimber Pro Raptor II, SA Loaded Champion, or the Para 1911 LTC.

I know the Sig has an external extractor. Pros/cons?

The Sig & Para use Series 80 safeties & the Kimbers some wonky one I can't remember. Pros/cons over the Series 70 style (DW & SA)?

Any experience with any of these? Recommendations for or against (& why)? My price range caps at about $1K, so no recommendations for Wilsons, STIs or Ed Browns, please.

Thanks.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:47 PM

What you want if you really want a 1911 is an affordable shooter/beater gun. Since it will be carried and banged around I would go with a used gun in great condition of course. I used norinco is great for a CCW. Save the expensive guns to shoot and enjoy and put away in the safe.

Now i been the whole gamit with carry guns from 357mgs, 9mm's, 44mags and 44mags. Lately my favorite CCW gun is a CZ82 in 9mm makarov. With its 1 round in the pipe and 12rd mag its hard to beat at around $200/$300 used. Its small yet dependable and accurate too.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Carl View Post
Okay, so I'm on the prowl for another 1911. Wantin' this one for concealed carry.

I'm REALLY diggin' the idea of the Commander slide/Officer's frame combo, tho only Kimber & Sig seem to be doing 1911s in 'em right now.

I'm a bit leery of the Officer's/compact size, as I read a lot about reliability probs with the shorter ones & the complicated trickery required to make 'em run- bushingless barrels, full length guide rods, dual springs, etc.

Any truth to that?

So.... my first 2 choices are the Sig C3 or the Kimber Compact CDP II.

Other possibilities include the DW Commander CLS Bobtail, Kimber Pro Raptor II, SA Loaded Champion, or the Para 1911 LTC.

I know the Sig has an external extractor. Pros/cons?

The Sig & Para use Series 80 safeties & the Kimbers some wonky one I can't remember. Pros/cons over the Series 70 style (DW & SA)?

Any experience with any of these? Recommendations for or against (& why)? My price range caps at about $1K, so no recommendations for Wilsons, STIs or Ed Browns, please.

Thanks.

I think you just described the perfect ccw gun as a Sig Compact. With the Commander size slide and Officer size grips, IMO it is the perfect blend for ccw. An aluminum frame adds to the list of positive aspects.

I own a Colt, several Kimbers and Sig GSR 1911's. My main ccw gun used to be a Kimber Ultra Raptor, but since I fell in love with Sig GSR's, now I carry a Sig GSR Compact .45 ACP.

Several reasons why I love it. Besides the size, I really like the fit, finish, and quality. The stock trigger pulls at just over 4 pounds (both GSR's), yes they are series 80, but has went "bang" every time, can feed ANYTHING, and has never failed me. They even claim the gun does not have any MIM parts.

Accuracy is amazing. For some reason, I can consistantly make groups better with this gun more so than my 3" Kimbers. It just feels right...

For some reason Sig 1911's never get the respect or the light they deserve. Yes some have had problems, yes the external extractor looks different, but both my Sigs have never had a problem or extracting problems. Just like any other 1911, when they are "dialed in" they run all day...

Sig GSR's carry a lot of great options in a pretty decent price range. If you don't mind the look of the slide, they are great guns. In fact, mine have grown on me. I love 'em!

Here is mine with a few mods:

Compact

Full size, with rail

Old 08-20-2008, 04:42 PM

Have you tried out A commander size bobtail? if that works for you. It would give you 2 more rounds than the officer size frame.

Last edited by Badlander; 08-20-2008 at 04:43 PM. Reason: sp
Old 08-20-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F16DCC View Post
I think you just described the perfect ccw gun as a Sig Compact. With the Commander size slide and Officer size grips, IMO it is the perfect blend for ccw. An aluminum frame adds to the list of positive aspects.

I own a Colt, several Kimbers and Sig GSR 1911's. My main ccw gun used to be a Kimber Ultra Raptor, but since I fell in love with Sig GSR's, now I carry a Sig GSR Compact .45 ACP.

Several reasons why I love it. Besides the size, I really like the fit, finish, and quality. The stock trigger pulls at just over 4 pounds (both GSR's), yes they are series 80, but has went "bang" every time, can feed ANYTHING, and has never failed me. They even claim the gun does not have any MIM parts.

Accuracy is amazing. For some reason, I can consistantly make groups better with this gun more so than my 3" Kimbers. It just feels right...

For some reason Sig 1911's never get the respect or the light they deserve. Yes some have had problems, yes the external extractor looks different, but both my Sigs have never had a problem or extracting problems. Just like any other 1911, when they are "dialed in" they run all day...

Sig GSR's carry a lot of great options in a pretty decent price range. If you don't mind the look of the slide, they are great guns. In fact, mine have grown on me. I love 'em!

Here is mine with a few mods:

Compact

Full size, with rail

I have the same guns as above the Compact and the Railed. I highly recommend them.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:48 PM

I really like my Sig C3. After a couple of hiccups in the first 100 rounds, it settled right in and has been very reliable. Since it is alloy framed, I practically forget I'm carrying it:

I have recently also purchased a steel Brown Special Forces Bobtail Commander. I have just finished a 350 round functionality test and plan to start carrying when it gets a bit cooler weather. The bobtail is supposed to conceal the grip frame very well. We'll see.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:10 PM

Consider the SW1911. Smith and Wesson has used external extractors for years on their semi autos with no issues. And I can attest to that, I have several 5906's, 4506's, 4566 that have thousands of rounds through them and have never had one single issue.

My own personal SW1911 has hundreds as of this week through it with not one issue, other than having to adjust the rear sights a bit, now, I'm getting 1.23" groupings at 21ft.

Another weapon you might consider is the Sig P220 SAO. I got mine and you can carry it cocked and locked and it's sweeeeeeeeeeeeet. And right now, it's 899 at bass pro, and when you apply for a card, you get 10% off your first purchase, including handguns, that's how I got my SAO.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlander View Post
Have you tried out A commander size bobtail? if that works for you. It would give you 2 more rounds than the officer size frame.
Just to note, the C3 holds 7 + 1, Im not sure if all officer mags hold 7 rds but the sig mags do.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:34 AM

I'm sorry for going in another direction in my post above but as i get older these babies are getting heavier to carry. This is why i'm after the lighter ones for CCW. Trust me when you get older you will understand what i'm talking about.

My uncle godbless his soul told me once he who lives by the sword dies by the sword and i said its better to have a sword than no sword at all when the time comes.....he who beats there weapons into plow shares will plow for those who have weapons.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:19 PM

I carry my RIA officers compact, I have had no problems at all out of it...
Old 09-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS2345 View Post
I carry my RIA officers compact, I have had no problems at all out of it...
Ditto. Got the same gun. Love it. Especially for the price. To the OP, the RIA Compact Tactical may be just what you're looking for. Hard to beat. Cheap, reliable and the best CS going in the industry.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:59 PM

1911 for CCW?

Yes.

I conceal Commanders and Government models everyday.

Regards,
Greyson
Old 09-11-2008, 12:53 AM

1911 is a great carry piece....

I've carried fullsized, double stacks (officers length frame and slide/barrel), until I 'discovered' the Commander length slide/barrel. I currently have a Fusion firearms bobtail Commander gun that I really, really like. Dead on reliable, and losing the rear corner of the frame is more than just gimick. It's both lighter and it doesn't 'print' under your shirt or jacket tail.

I'm going to go with an officers frame, Commander slide/barrel in 9mm next. Even less weight, but a 9 round magazine, and a less problematic slide and barrel length. If possible, try to shoot handle, and wear some setups you think you might like to see if you really will like them. That can be tough unless you got buddies who shoot.

The slim frame and slide of the 1911 make it pretty easy to conceal well, especially with the commander length slide.

Good luck in your search!
Old 09-11-2008, 01:52 AM

I would love to see that officer's model if you ever get it done.

Regards,
Greyson
Old 09-15-2008, 12:37 AM

Have you considered the Kimber Compact. It uses an Officer frame and a 4" bushingless slide. Mine is accurate and reliable, and was my carry gun for several years till I went to a double action .45
Old 09-15-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Carl View Post

Any truth to that?
Yes, I believe in my opinion that the bushingless barrel 1911's are a problem looking for a way to surface. The Kimber you are diggin' has just that. Plus is full of MIM which is another no-no FOR ME in a defensive gun. I bought the Sig Compact and am wearing it as I type. I love it and the best gun I ever bought ( in it's price range.) The other choices were the Nighthawk T3 and the LB Stinger. Not only was the Sig up to the task but remarkably cheaper that the NH or LB. The only think that I didn't like at first was the external extractor and the non traditional slide shape. But the external works perfect and maybe better than the internal. The looks is just a personal preference, and as of now I actually like the slide profile very much. So much I bought the Railed Government model. I would recommend a new Sig 1911 to anyone and will buy another. Hope this helps.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:30 PM

IM you might as well get a 5", the barrel is the easiest part to conceal!
Old 09-15-2008, 09:25 PM

A CCO size pistola is my perfection. A Commander slide and an Officers frame. 4.25 inches of slide for velocity and reliability and Officer frame for hiding the butt if the frame ( My opinion the hardest to conceal.)
Old 09-16-2008, 11:51 AM

I have a Caspian titanium frame with a Safari Arms Black Widow slide, which is the same as a stainless Commander slide. The lightness of the weapon is increadable, and it allays my fears of having an aluminum framed 1911 as I tend too shoot from 750 to 1500 rounds a month.

I did recently pick up a S/A LWT Operator, but I'll keep that one to light range use.