1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Other 1911's


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-19-2008, 05:08 PM
Crazy Carl Crazy Carl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Haw River, NC
Posts: 147
1911 for CCW?




Okay, so I'm on the prowl for another 1911. Wantin' this one for concealed carry.

I'm REALLY diggin' the idea of the Commander slide/Officer's frame combo, tho only Kimber & Sig seem to be doing 1911s in 'em right now.

I'm a bit leery of the Officer's/compact size, as I read a lot about reliability probs with the shorter ones & the complicated trickery required to make 'em run- bushingless barrels, full length guide rods, dual springs, etc.

Any truth to that?

So.... my first 2 choices are the Sig C3 or the Kimber Compact CDP II.

Other possibilities include the DW Commander CLS Bobtail, Kimber Pro Raptor II, SA Loaded Champion, or the Para 1911 LTC.

I know the Sig has an external extractor. Pros/cons?

The Sig & Para use Series 80 safeties & the Kimbers some wonky one I can't remember. Pros/cons over the Series 70 style (DW & SA)?

Any experience with any of these? Recommendations for or against (& why)? My price range caps at about $1K, so no recommendations for Wilsons, STIs or Ed Browns, please.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-19-2008, 08:47 PM
1911crazy 1911crazy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: usa
Posts: 2,490
What you want if you really want a 1911 is an affordable shooter/beater gun. Since it will be carried and banged around I would go with a used gun in great condition of course. I used norinco is great for a CCW. Save the expensive guns to shoot and enjoy and put away in the safe.

Now i been the whole gamit with carry guns from 357mgs, 9mm's, 44mags and 44mags. Lately my favorite CCW gun is a CZ82 in 9mm makarov. With its 1 round in the pipe and 12rd mag its hard to beat at around $200/$300 used. Its small yet dependable and accurate too.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-20-2008, 06:31 AM
F16DCC F16DCC is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 1,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Carl View Post
Okay, so I'm on the prowl for another 1911. Wantin' this one for concealed carry.

I'm REALLY diggin' the idea of the Commander slide/Officer's frame combo, tho only Kimber & Sig seem to be doing 1911s in 'em right now.

I'm a bit leery of the Officer's/compact size, as I read a lot about reliability probs with the shorter ones & the complicated trickery required to make 'em run- bushingless barrels, full length guide rods, dual springs, etc.

Any truth to that?

So.... my first 2 choices are the Sig C3 or the Kimber Compact CDP II.

Other possibilities include the DW Commander CLS Bobtail, Kimber Pro Raptor II, SA Loaded Champion, or the Para 1911 LTC.

I know the Sig has an external extractor. Pros/cons?

The Sig & Para use Series 80 safeties & the Kimbers some wonky one I can't remember. Pros/cons over the Series 70 style (DW & SA)?

Any experience with any of these? Recommendations for or against (& why)? My price range caps at about $1K, so no recommendations for Wilsons, STIs or Ed Browns, please.

Thanks.

I think you just described the perfect ccw gun as a Sig Compact. With the Commander size slide and Officer size grips, IMO it is the perfect blend for ccw. An aluminum frame adds to the list of positive aspects.

I own a Colt, several Kimbers and Sig GSR 1911's. My main ccw gun used to be a Kimber Ultra Raptor, but since I fell in love with Sig GSR's, now I carry a Sig GSR Compact .45 ACP.

Several reasons why I love it. Besides the size, I really like the fit, finish, and quality. The stock trigger pulls at just over 4 pounds (both GSR's), yes they are series 80, but has went "bang" every time, can feed ANYTHING, and has never failed me. They even claim the gun does not have any MIM parts.

Accuracy is amazing. For some reason, I can consistantly make groups better with this gun more so than my 3" Kimbers. It just feels right...

For some reason Sig 1911's never get the respect or the light they deserve. Yes some have had problems, yes the external extractor looks different, but both my Sigs have never had a problem or extracting problems. Just like any other 1911, when they are "dialed in" they run all day...

Sig GSR's carry a lot of great options in a pretty decent price range. If you don't mind the look of the slide, they are great guns. In fact, mine have grown on me. I love 'em!

Here is mine with a few mods:

Compact



Full size, with rail

__________________
It ain't how hard you can hit; it's about how hard ya can get hit and keep moving forward... Rocky Balboa, 2006.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-20-2008, 04:42 PM
Badlander Badlander is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Fla
Posts: 200
Have you tried out A commander size bobtail? if that works for you. It would give you 2 more rounds than the officer size frame.

Last edited by Badlander; 08-20-2008 at 04:43 PM. Reason: sp
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-20-2008, 06:46 PM
HAIL CAESAR HAIL CAESAR is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by F16DCC View Post
I think you just described the perfect ccw gun as a Sig Compact. With the Commander size slide and Officer size grips, IMO it is the perfect blend for ccw. An aluminum frame adds to the list of positive aspects.

I own a Colt, several Kimbers and Sig GSR 1911's. My main ccw gun used to be a Kimber Ultra Raptor, but since I fell in love with Sig GSR's, now I carry a Sig GSR Compact .45 ACP.

Several reasons why I love it. Besides the size, I really like the fit, finish, and quality. The stock trigger pulls at just over 4 pounds (both GSR's), yes they are series 80, but has went "bang" every time, can feed ANYTHING, and has never failed me. They even claim the gun does not have any MIM parts.

Accuracy is amazing. For some reason, I can consistantly make groups better with this gun more so than my 3" Kimbers. It just feels right...

For some reason Sig 1911's never get the respect or the light they deserve. Yes some have had problems, yes the external extractor looks different, but both my Sigs have never had a problem or extracting problems. Just like any other 1911, when they are "dialed in" they run all day...

Sig GSR's carry a lot of great options in a pretty decent price range. If you don't mind the look of the slide, they are great guns. In fact, mine have grown on me. I love 'em!

Here is mine with a few mods:

Compact



Full size, with rail

I have the same guns as above the Compact and the Railed. I highly recommend them.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-20-2008, 09:48 PM
KyJim KyJim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3,545
I really like my Sig C3. After a couple of hiccups in the first 100 rounds, it settled right in and has been very reliable. Since it is alloy framed, I practically forget I'm carrying it:



I have recently also purchased a steel Brown Special Forces Bobtail Commander. I have just finished a 350 round functionality test and plan to start carrying when it gets a bit cooler weather. The bobtail is supposed to conceal the grip frame very well. We'll see.

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-21-2008, 02:10 PM
sousana sousana is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,439
Consider the SW1911. Smith and Wesson has used external extractors for years on their semi autos with no issues. And I can attest to that, I have several 5906's, 4506's, 4566 that have thousands of rounds through them and have never had one single issue.

My own personal SW1911 has hundreds as of this week through it with not one issue, other than having to adjust the rear sights a bit, now, I'm getting 1.23" groupings at 21ft.

Another weapon you might consider is the Sig P220 SAO. I got mine and you can carry it cocked and locked and it's sweeeeeeeeeeeeet. And right now, it's 899 at bass pro, and when you apply for a card, you get 10% off your first purchase, including handguns, that's how I got my SAO.
__________________
Semper Fi HM2 2nd MarDiv 1982-1986 לפעמים אדם עונה גורלו על הכביש הוא לקח כדי למנוע אותו.http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/d...olomansousana/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-26-2008, 03:03 AM
teh teh is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: cincinnati
Posts: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badlander View Post
Have you tried out A commander size bobtail? if that works for you. It would give you 2 more rounds than the officer size frame.
Just to note, the C3 holds 7 + 1, Im not sure if all officer mags hold 7 rds but the sig mags do.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-28-2008, 10:34 AM
1911crazy 1911crazy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: usa
Posts: 2,490
I'm sorry for going in another direction in my post above but as i get older these babies are getting heavier to carry. This is why i'm after the lighter ones for CCW. Trust me when you get older you will understand what i'm talking about.

My uncle godbless his soul told me once he who lives by the sword dies by the sword and i said its better to have a sword than no sword at all when the time comes.....he who beats there weapons into plow shares will plow for those who have weapons.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-29-2008, 04:19 PM
JPS2345 JPS2345 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Knoxville,TN
Posts: 7
I carry my RIA officers compact, I have had no problems at all out of it...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-03-2008, 08:56 PM
glock2740 glock2740 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NW Ark.
Posts: 3,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPS2345 View Post
I carry my RIA officers compact, I have had no problems at all out of it...
Ditto. Got the same gun. Love it. Especially for the price. To the OP, the RIA Compact Tactical may be just what you're looking for. Hard to beat. Cheap, reliable and the best CS going in the industry.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Greyson Greyson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,377
1911 for CCW?

Yes.

I conceal Commanders and Government models everyday.

Regards,
Greyson
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-11-2008, 12:53 AM
Superpumper Superpumper is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 203
1911 is a great carry piece....

I've carried fullsized, double stacks (officers length frame and slide/barrel), until I 'discovered' the Commander length slide/barrel. I currently have a Fusion firearms bobtail Commander gun that I really, really like. Dead on reliable, and losing the rear corner of the frame is more than just gimick. It's both lighter and it doesn't 'print' under your shirt or jacket tail.

I'm going to go with an officers frame, Commander slide/barrel in 9mm next. Even less weight, but a 9 round magazine, and a less problematic slide and barrel length. If possible, try to shoot handle, and wear some setups you think you might like to see if you really will like them. That can be tough unless you got buddies who shoot.

The slim frame and slide of the 1911 make it pretty easy to conceal well, especially with the commander length slide.

Good luck in your search!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-11-2008, 01:52 AM
Greyson Greyson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,377
I would love to see that officer's model if you ever get it done.

Regards,
Greyson
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-15-2008, 12:37 AM
Nipperdog Nipperdog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Florida The Gunshine State
Age: 68
Posts: 1,000
Have you considered the Kimber Compact. It uses an Officer frame and a 4" bushingless slide. Mine is accurate and reliable, and was my carry gun for several years till I went to a double action .45
__________________
You've seen guns for peace and guns for war. But you've never seen guns like these before
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-15-2008, 08:28 PM
HAIL CAESAR HAIL CAESAR is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Carl View Post
Okay, so I'm on the prowl for another 1911. Wantin' this one for concealed carry.

I'm REALLY diggin' the idea of the Commander slide/Officer's frame combo, tho only Kimber & Sig seem to be doing 1911s in 'em right now.

I'm a bit leery of the Officer's/compact size, as I read a lot about reliability probs with the shorter ones & the complicated trickery required to make 'em run- bushingless barrels, full length guide rods, dual springs, etc.

Any truth to that?
Yes, I believe in my opinion that the bushingless barrel 1911's are a problem looking for a way to surface. The Kimber you are diggin' has just that. Plus is full of MIM which is another no-no FOR ME in a defensive gun. I bought the Sig Compact and am wearing it as I type. I love it and the best gun I ever bought ( in it's price range.) The other choices were the Nighthawk T3 and the LB Stinger. Not only was the Sig up to the task but remarkably cheaper that the NH or LB. The only think that I didn't like at first was the external extractor and the non traditional slide shape. But the external works perfect and maybe better than the internal. The looks is just a personal preference, and as of now I actually like the slide profile very much. So much I bought the Railed Government model. I would recommend a new Sig 1911 to anyone and will buy another. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-15-2008, 08:30 PM
NonConformist NonConformist is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Tampa,Florida
Posts: 857
IM you might as well get a 5", the barrel is the easiest part to conceal!
__________________
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants...it is the creed of Slaves"-William Pitt
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-15-2008, 09:25 PM
HAIL CAESAR HAIL CAESAR is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 3,427
A CCO size pistola is my perfection. A Commander slide and an Officers frame. 4.25 inches of slide for velocity and reliability and Officer frame for hiding the butt if the frame ( My opinion the hardest to conceal.)
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-16-2008, 11:51 AM
sousana sousana is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 4,439
I have a Caspian titanium frame with a Safari Arms Black Widow slide, which is the same as a stainless Commander slide. The lightness of the weapon is increadable, and it allays my fears of having an aluminum framed 1911 as I tend too shoot from 750 to 1500 rounds a month.

I did recently pick up a S/A LWT Operator, but I'll keep that one to light range use.
__________________
Semper Fi HM2 2nd MarDiv 1982-1986 לפעמים אדם עונה גורלו על הכביש הוא לקח כדי למנוע אותו.http://s227.photobucket.com/albums/d...olomansousana/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:17 AM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2011 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved