1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 08-10-2008, 01:04 PM

where do I get a short tand grip safety?

I just bought a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911. I always wanted an older 1911 with the short tang safety wide spur checkered hammer but cant afford an original. So I am looking for a short tang grip safety, I found an older one but the price was a bit high, where would I look for used parts like this or new productions of these parts.

Thanks
Old 08-10-2008, 01:20 PM

MidwayUSA, Brownells, E-gunparts(Numrich), Sarco, Cheaper than dirt, Centerfire systems....Just off the top of my head.

Your just looking for factory spec GI parts
Old 08-10-2008, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potent1911 View Post
MidwayUSA, Brownells, E-gunparts(Numrich), Sarco, Cheaper than dirt, Centerfire systems....Just off the top of my head.
Are you sure? Do you have a specific link to a new M1911 (not M1911A1) style grip safety?

To the OP, the only company I know of that currently makes a gun with an M1911 style grip safety is Colt with their WWI M1911 replica. You might try finding a place that sells Colt parts. You could also have a standard M1911A1 style grip safety machined to the dimensions of an M1911 grip safety.

As for the checkered wide spur hammer, if you don't already know, Cylinder & Slide and Caspian both make them, and they also come stock on the afore-mentioned Colt WWI M1911 replica.

Other things you may want if you're going for an M1911 layout, include a long steel trigger (no idea where you'd get one of those, aside from Colt possibly, since they use one on their WWI replica) and a smooth, flat mainspring housing with a lanyard loop, which you can get from Smith & Alexander.

The one thing you are stuck with, short of replacing the frame, are the M1911A1 style relief cutouts in the frame behind the trigger.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:57 PM

Yes you are correct I am looking for the WW1 1911 type parts. I am really just interested in the short tang safety and the wide spur hammer. I am not trying to replicate any specific style I would just like those certain parts to be on my pistol.

Thanks for your help, I will look into those places.
Thanks,
Old 08-10-2008, 06:35 PM

Maybe try Colt if no-one has them, I used to see them everywher, now I cant find them. It appears Colt is making them again though.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/cmci/1911WWI.asp
Old 08-10-2008, 07:52 PM

Just grind an A1 safety to the configuration you want. I've done that and it works. Here are a couple pics of that short tang safety.

Pardon the thumb safety fit on this evolving Frankenpistol, but you'll get the idea from the pics. This gs also offers a higher hold on the pistol, especially with a thumb over safety grip. You can see I also shortened the hammer spur to keep my hand from getting mauled. I realize you are using the larger early hammer.

Last edited by Magnumite; 06-11-2009 at 03:28 AM.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:05 PM

I would be interested in a short tang safety too, if it were stainless steel. I have thought about grinding to the proper contour but, I'm such a Klutz . . . might have to resort to a file.
Old 08-11-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polskavz35 View Post
I just bought a Springfield Mil-Spec 1911. I always wanted an older 1911 with the short tang safety wide spur checkered hammer but cant afford an original. So I am looking for a short tang grip safety, I found an older one but the price was a bit high, where would I look for used parts like this or new productions of these parts.

Thanks
I can't help you on finding the parts you want, however you can fabricate the grip safety you are wanting from a 1911-A1 grip safety.
Here's a picture of a Springfield 1911-A1 WWII with the Spartan package I offer on this model, the grip safety has been recontured and shortened. It's not exactly like the 1911, however they can be fabricated as short as you want them. I did fabricate the thumb safety to be very much like the 1911 thumb safety.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Old 08-11-2008, 07:33 AM

Here's another view.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old 08-11-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Customs View Post
...Here's a picture of a Springfield 1911-A1 WWII with the Spartan package I offer on this model...
Bob, that is an extremely attractive, very clean build. Good looking, but all business. Please get a closeup pic of your unique front strap treatment.
Old 08-11-2008, 06:42 PM

Bob you keep putting that gun in different threads. People might start thinking you are selling it......

I still think it is gorgeous...good lookin too.
"A Veteran -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." __ Unknown
Sure, I'm willing to shoot your Glock, just hang it up there with the rest of the targets. COTEP #35
Old 08-11-2008, 10:55 PM
1911 Aficionado

Does Colt sell the WWI repro grip safety separately? I've modified at least three modern grip safeties to the early M1911 configuration. It's not difficult.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Does Colt sell the WWI repro grip safety separately?
Not likely. None of the Colt parts distributors I've called have any of the Series 70 reissue or WWI reproduction-specific parts. One place that Colt phone reps recommend for Colt parts had never even heard of a new Series 70 for example—"Series 70s are old," she insisted. Apparently getting parts (aside from the few they list on their site) directly from Colt is impossible (unless, perhaps, you have connections with someone who works there).

Last edited by MaximRecoil; 08-11-2008 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBBill View Post
Bob, that is an extremely attractive, very clean build. Good looking, but all business. Please get a closeup pic of your unique front strap treatment.
Thanks again for the compliment on the gun. It would be easier on me if I could e-mail you a close up picture of the front strap. If that's possible send an e-mail address to [email protected] and I'll try and get a picture for you.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old 08-12-2008, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
Bob you keep putting that gun in different threads. People might start thinking you are selling it......

I still think it is gorgeous...good lookin too.
Not selling this one, I have to keep it in the shop for customers that come to the shop and want to see the Spartan package up close. They also get to test fire the gun to see how it feels and shoots, of course I get to shoot it every now and then.

Thanks again for the kind words.

I hope the pictures will be a good reference for those that choose to modify 1911-A1 parts to more closely resemble 1911 parts.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old 08-12-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Not selling this one, I have to keep it in the shop for customers that come to the shop and want to see the Spartan package up close. They also get to test fire the gun to see how it feels and shoots, of course I get to shoot it every now and then.

Thanks again for the kind words.

I hope the pictures will be a good reference for those that choose to modify 1911-A1 parts to more closely resemble 1911 parts.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Where did you get that partial-shelf thumb-safety? Is it an extended-shelf thumb-safety with the "extended" part ground off? It looks similar to, but not identical to, the old pre-1950 style of Colt thumb-safeties. I like it.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:50 PM

I like that grip safety treatment and bobbed hammer.
I have a gun that was scheduled for a more extensive rebuild but things keep getting in the way. This might be how it ends up.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximRecoil View Post
Where did you get that partial-shelf thumb-safety? Is it an extended-shelf thumb-safety with the "extended" part ground off? It looks similar to, but not identical to, the old pre-1950 style of Colt thumb-safeties. I like it.
I was looking at that too and thought that if push came to shove you could take a wide Ed Brown, for example, cut it down so the length of the pad does not extend past the portion that fits against the frame and shape it up. I like that look too.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin R View Post
I was looking at that too and thought that if push came to shove you could take a wide Ed Brown, for example, cut it down so the length of the pad does not extend past the portion that fits against the frame and shape it up. I like that look too.
Yeah, like this (Photoshop gunsmithing on an Ed Brown Wide Extended Safety):

Old 08-12-2008, 06:59 PM

Yup.
I have one like that, at my gunsmith's instigation, and he made it by cutting the forward extension off a Brown. Calls it the Giant GI Safety.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximRecoil View Post

I've been fabricating this thumb safety from the Colt 1911-A1 style thumb safeties for years to use on serious fighting guns.
The thumb safety is very much like the original Colt 1911 thumb safety; I happen to feel the small tab 1911 thumb safety was the best ever made.
I've tried making one from an Ed Brown but I did not like the tab, it did not feel as straight as the old 1911 to me.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old 08-12-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson View Post
I like that grip safety treatment and bobbed hammer.
I have a gun that was scheduled for a more extensive rebuild but things keep getting in the way. This might be how it ends up.
The Spartan Package Springfield is intended to be a serious no frills fighting gun.
I lowered the spur on this hammer, narrowed the hammer and made the hammer much lighter. Fabricating the hammer the way I did allowed me to shorten and shape the grip safety just about any way I wanted; this one feels very good in the hand.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old 08-12-2008, 11:10 PM

Jim here's the other side with the hammer at rest.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Old 08-12-2008, 11:10 PM

Bob, I did the same thing on my 9mm SA pistol I am building to stock steel. I, too, prefer the small 1911 origonal thumb safety.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:42 AM

Quote:
I've been fabricating this thumb safety from the Colt 1911-A1 style thumb safeties for years to use on serious fighting guns.
The thumb safety is very much like the original Colt 1911 thumb safety; I happen to feel the small tab 1911 thumb safety was the best ever made.
I've tried making one from an Ed Brown but I did not like the tab, it did not feel as straight as the old 1911 to me.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Yeah, that's probably because of this:
Quote:
Shaped for shooting comfort, the lever is angled slightly to keep the thumb from contacting the slide and has a double angle to fit the thumb perfectly.
Seeing that old style of safety on a modern 1911 reminds me of the Colt Series 70 used on the later episodes of Magnum P.I. by Tom Selleck's character, which also had a partial-shelf GI-style thumb safety (the gun in the earlier episodes has the stock full-shelf safety). I wonder whose idea that was. It wouldn't surprise me if it was Selleck's idea. I don't know why anyone but a 1911 enthusiast would swap a GI-style thumb safety into Series 70 TV prop gun, given that few people watching would notice and/or care.