1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 08-04-2008, 12:03 PM

Gun Maintenance Log (Log Books/Forms)

Curious if anyone here keeps a log on any of thier guns as far as dates of range sessions, number of rounds, bullet types, cleanings go...?

Asking because I have a friend who is looking for some type of log book to keep this information contained in. If anyone knows of a gun log book, or forms that could be found online, that would be great!
Old 08-04-2008, 12:05 PM

I'd bet you could find something like that at Brownells.

I don't keep a written record. I can remember pretty closely how many rounds I've put through each gun I own.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:29 PM

I set up a log for each of my 1911's on an Excel spreadsheet. Included are number of times at which range, dates, rounds fired that day, total rounds fired, when I changed which spring, when I cleaned and lubed,when I detail stripped each one, the names and dates of each gun class I attended.

I think that's it. FWIW, this system works great for me.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:19 PM

I do the same thing "facilitator" does. I did up an Excel spread sheet and record my sessions (eg. date, ammo used, cumulative round count, event, comments which include any malfunctions or simply "flawless" performance during that session, any repairs, mods or replacement of parts). I do it more as a way to ensure that I'm changing parts out at the recommended intervals.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:17 PM

I've done that for 37 years. I maintain an FFL log, that way I can keep track of firearms I own, and have sold, where I got them, and where they went.

For each firearms I own, I maintain one of those composition books, for the weapons I obtained before computers were common place, since the introduction of the IBM PS/2 Mod 30, I maintain said logs using a microsoft word formated document allowing me to keep both digital and print copy in a binder type book. In it, on the first page is acquisition information, date of first cleaning, what ammo is used for each range trip, how the weapon handled, accuracy, how the ammo handled, how the magazines worked, plus, range information such as distance, climate, wind speed, direction.

I keep notes like these so that I know how each individual weapon handles, what ammo it prefers, plus it allows me to keep an accurate count of ammo fired as that tells me what maintenance must be done on the weapon, for semi-auto handguns, it let's me know accurate round count so that every 3k rounds I can change springs and such, plus, most important, when the weapon gets into the very high count range like my 1st gen Glock 17 with nearly 96k rounds, I can send it in to the factory for inspection and or replacement.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:27 PM

Yes. For each of my Wilson pistols I use a separate 3"x5" bound notepad. At each range session, I record date, no. of rounds fired that session, no. of rounds fired to date, mags used, ammo used, and any pertinent comments. I also record any changes, repairs, mod's, or additions to the gun and the date.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:32 PM

Still waiting on my first gun, but I hadn't considered this before. I'm going to take some pointers from whats been said so far and do the same.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:40 PM

Good Lord!!! I just try to keep my guns out of the rain.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:50 PM

Try this http://www.somanyroads.org/gunsafe/
I have been using this program and it works wonderful.
With this program I put everything (including pictures of the gun) on a memory stick.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:34 PM

Good information here guys. Thanks for your input.

I think I'll put together an excel preadsheet for my buddy and I to use.

I think it's a great idea, not only to remind yourself as to when certain parts should be changed out but if your gun is malfunctioning, you can look back in the log and see what, if anything has changed and correct the problem.

It's always neat when you buy a used car and the previous owner has kept a detailed maintanence log - no different when buying a used gun...although I have never seen one for the later...

Also, as with a car, it's always good to know how many miles are on the odometer just as how many rounds are through your gun.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:08 PM

I made up booklets for each pistol. Then had them printed and saddle stitched at Kinkos or someplace like that. Finished size is 8.5 by 5.5

Has thing such as Make/Model/SN/purchase price/wjere purchased/date bought What accesories have been changed (grips etc.) This is on the cover and inside cover.

Round count for each range session, Total round count
Spring changes and a comments section. This is on each page. Each book gives me 100 range visits.
"A Veteran -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." __ Unknown
Sure, I'm willing to shoot your Glock, just hang it up there with the rest of the targets. COTEP #35
Old 08-04-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
I made up booklets for each pistol. Then had them printed and saddle stitched at Kinkos or someplace like that. Finished size is 8.5 by 5.5

Has thing such as Make/Model/SN/purchase price/wjere purchased/date bought What accesories have been changed (grips etc.) This is on the cover and inside cover.

Spring changes and a comments section. This is on each page. Each book gives me 100 range visits.
I do pretty much the same on 5" x 8" index cards.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post

Do you also record cleanings, whether they be field strip cleanings or detailed strip cleanings...?
Old 08-04-2008, 07:55 PM

I just use Excel to track the range visits, like several others have mentioned.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:19 PM

so far a 1911s go..... For most I use the light cleaning every time they are used and major cleaning when they are dirty method... No schedule... No counting...

Match guns have the top end removed (slide and barrel) and cleaned after every match... Detail strip/clean/inspect annually....
Old 08-04-2008, 08:42 PM

I have a book for most of my guns giving some of the history of each one, especially "family" type info. I'd like to think those books will follow the guns long after I'm croaked. It would be so cool to have info like that on some guns that the history has been lost on...
Beyond that, I clean my guns after each range session, but no record keeping. Life is complicated enough already.
Marty
Old 08-04-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdgeorge View Post
so far a 1911s go..... For most I use the light cleaning every time they are used and major cleaning when they are dirty method... No schedule... No counting...

Match guns have the top end removed (slide and barrel) and cleaned after every match... Detail strip/clean/inspect annually....
Do you remove the firing pin and extractor when you clean? Some people only remove the firing pin and extractor when they detail clean every 5000rds or once a year or so...
Old 08-04-2008, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadedcolt45 View Post
Do you also record cleanings, whether they be field strip cleanings or detailed strip cleanings...?
I clean after each range session. Detail strips do go in though.
"A Veteran -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to: 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life." __ Unknown
Sure, I'm willing to shoot your Glock, just hang it up there with the rest of the targets. COTEP #35
Old 08-04-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadedcolt45 View Post
Do you remove the firing pin and extractor when you clean? Some people only remove the firing pin and extractor when they detail clean every 5000rds or once a year or so...

It depends. On a general cleaning after shooting, no. After 1 K rounds yes unless I have done it sooner. Detail about 2k -3k rounds.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:30 PM

I have a PDF of the log that I use. If anyone wants a copy just email me.

It is about 125K in size and will cover 50+ range sessions. You can make it bigger or smaller by adding or deleting pages. I suggest printing double sided on 32 pd stock with an 80 pd cover at Kinko's or OfficeMax and having them saddle stitch into a booklet. It works well for me.

MODS I would love to send it to you to make a sticky out of if you are interested.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:38 PM

Extractor and firing pin come out during the annual cleaning...
Old 08-05-2008, 09:10 PM

I log all my weapons. Now my pistols are less formal than say a sniper rifle.

I have a spiral bound hardback notebook with standard notebook lines.

At the top:

Name/model of weapon
Serial #
Purchase price/date/ and from whom.

Below that I keep a running count on rounds through pistol. Weapon is cleaned after every shooting so that is not logged. If there is a spring change or repair that is logged sequentially. Hence I can count how many rounds through weapon. Rounds on certain parts.

Now if there is a period of unusual usual usage that is logged: IE HG V TDI 1200 rounds. 1.1.08

One thing I learned when I started booking rounds, was I wasn't shooting nearly as much as I thought I was. It was very embarrassing.

Today, I shoot a lot more.

I say do it.

Regards,
Greyson

Last edited by Greyson; 08-06-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by facilitator View Post
I set up a log for each of my 1911's on an Excel spreadsheet. Included are number of times at which range, dates, rounds fired that day, total rounds fired, when I changed which spring, when I cleaned and lubed,when I detail stripped each one, the names and dates of each gun class I attended.

I think that's it. FWIW, this system works great for me.
That's a great idea...... I think I'll take it a step further and hire a good-looking young "Records Wench" to accompany me to the range. If she has a sister, maybe I'll train her as my "Disassembly & Cleaning Wench", too ! Just kidding......although the idea intrigues.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:46 AM

For those of us who primarily shoot Glocks, round count is totally irrelevant. Maintenance? What maintenance?

Not a Glock armorer!
Old 08-06-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGC View Post
For those of us who primarily shoot Glocks, round count is totally irrelevant. Maintenance? What maintenance?

LOL, my 1st gen glock is at round count 95,789 according to my log with no mods at all to the gun itself. My other Glocks all have match grade stainless bbls from Loneworlf, but I've left this 1st gen alone. It's never seen a holster and looks nearly as mint as the day I brought her home. I have contacted Glock about sending it in and having it inspected and they've stated they'd like to keep it, and give me my choice of any replacement , my dillema now is which one to go with.