1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 07-23-2008, 12:00 PM

Hammer and Sear? Wilson vs. Cylinder and Slide who makes the BEST?

Believe me I understand the importance of using quality parts I want the best parts available for my custom build. I am looking to build a pistol similar to a Talon T-3. The T-3 is an officer frame with a commander slide. This pistol will be used for daily carry and IDPA. I want durability and reliability over everything else. I plan to use a factory standard 23lb mainspring.

I have narrowed my selection for the Hammer and Sear down to two choices

Option one
Wilson Combat Ultralight Hammer and Wilson Deluxe Sear with Cylinder and Slide Ultra Match Disconnector

Option two
Cylinder and Slide Super Match Hammer, C&S Extreme Duty Sear and C&S Disconnector

I plan to use a C&S Hammer Strut and EGW Titanium officer size mainspring plunger.

I know one major difference between the C&S and Wilson hammer and sear is the steel used. Wilson uses A2 while C&S uses S7 tool steel. I have studied the differences between the two types of steel and neither has a good rating for wear resistance while the A2 is better in that class. S7 is a lot tougher, meaning it is less likely to chip or crack with S7 having nearly twice the toughness rating of A2 depending on the actual hardness of the steel.

What parts would you use and why?

For those who are interested parts I plan to use for this build, they are as follows; Fusion Officer Frame, Fusion Slide, Wilson Beavertail, Wilson Narrow Safety, Wilson Bullet Proof Slide Stop, Wilson BP Firing Pin, Wilson BP Extractor, Wilson Extended Ejector, EGW oversized Firing Pin Stop, Novak Night Sights fixed and Nowlin lightweight trigger.

The parts I have as of now; Fusion Officer Size Frame, VZ alien grips and Night Hawk Custom T-3 Extended Mainspring Housing.

Currently I am in Iraq and will start / finish this project early next year.

One last question; does anyone make a barrel out of carbon steel that is chrome lined? I know Kart uses 4150 and that is the metal I would prefer but I want it chrome lined. For those who have to ask the M1911A1 had chrome lined barrels and so do the current crop of M9 Beretta pistols.

Thank you for your replies
Old 07-23-2008, 12:03 PM

In the overall scheme of things, they are both very good.

You are going to have to split a lot of hairs to find "best".

Come home safe.
NRA Life Member
Old 07-23-2008, 12:13 PM

I recently bought a Wilson deluxe sear, all contact points had been polished on a buff, the sear nose is angled from left to right and the short side is SHORT of specs. I will be sending it back and have learned a good lesson, I will never buy a Wilson part, I will never buy a Wilson part.................

LOG

Old 07-23-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by log man View Post
I recently bought a Wilson deluxe sear, all contact points had been polished on a buff, the sear nose is angled from left to right and the short side is SHORT of specs. I will be sending it back and have learned a good lesson, I will never buy a Wilson part, I will never buy a Wilson part.................

LOG

And I've got a Norinco that all the parts except frame, slide and barrel are Wilsons.

It's got just over 38K through it with no parts issues.
NRA Life Member
Old 07-23-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by log man View Post
I recently bought a Wilson deluxe sear, all contact points had been polished on a buff, the sear nose is angled from left to right and the short side is SHORT of specs. I will be sending it back.................
Good makers sometimes have slumps in quality. They need to be notified and reminded that we are the final arbiters of quality. I've noticed some core shift and low spots in some of their grip safeties. Noting that will affect final appearance and/or function, but I'm paying close attention to everything that comes across my workbench.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:52 AM

Yes I do know every company can have a bad day but I have decided to go with C&S

Thanks for all the replies

Last edited by shootsenmeister; 07-25-2008 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:38 AM

selection...

I personally wouldn't touch a wilson. I would get the Cylinder and Slide Hammer and disconnector and go with EGW's sear. That is what we are using in all our custom guns right now...you can check out my recent post on Sear Dimensions for further explanation.

Sincerely,
"Obsessibly Reliable, Accurate and Beautiful"