1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Ammo Can

Old 07-13-2008, 04:23 PM
Banned

.45 Plus P ammo question

Hey all, just had a quick question for some of the more experienced shooters out there(and those who have shot plus P). I was at a store the other day browsing .45 JHP ammunition, the person helping me commented that I could only shoot plus p rounds if my gun manufacturer said they were compatible with the gun(Kimber in this case). Is this true?? I don't really have much interest in shooting +P at this point in time but may want to try it in the future...I just wanted to see what other forum members thought of this. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:24 PM

Dont shoot PlusP and no plans to ever do so...requires spring changes...
and makes reliability questionable...not for me thank you...the regular
230JHPs are deadly enough for my tastes...Blessings...
Old 07-13-2008, 07:18 PM

Ditto. The 45 ACP built its name upon the standard pressure cartridge. Not too mention you're causing extra wear on your gun. Yes you can shoot them, not through an aluminum frame preferably, and make sure you use heavier springs and maybe even a couple Shok-Buffs. I'll stick to my standard pressures for now.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:30 PM

No need for +p in a 45. Beats your gun, gives more recoil, takes more time to return to target, and the standard pressure rounds do just fine the way Mr. Browning designed it. If you want the higher velocities and energy, get a 10mm., 400 Corbon, 460 rowland, etc., in my opinion.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

It's been stated before in other threads, but here goes...

One of the things to keep an eye out for in .45 ACP especially is just exactly what +p means. Different manufacturers load to different specs for +p, where some is just a hair over standard pressures to get a little extra oomph out of the bullet to achieve better and more uniform expansion, while others go all the way up to SAAMI specs for +P.

Personally, my defensive loads are +P, because I preferred it in the Winchester Ranger ammo I was carrying, and when switching to Federal's HST ammo (it's become far more readily available and i can get it at the local gun shop, supporting them that much more), the local shop only had the +P stuff, both for the bonded and standard HST rounds.

I've long since given up shooting hot loads for practice since there's no reason to shoot it. As for recoil pulse and all, I keep an 18.5# spring in the gun, so it's less noticeable. If and when I can find some standard-velocity HST stuff, I might give that a go.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:39 AM

i have a kimber team match II and i shoot t.a.p + p all the time and never had a problem.
P.S the hornady t.a.p +p does nasty nasty things
Old 07-14-2008, 06:43 PM

It depends on various factors,
* Steel frame and slide?
* what is the recoil spring rating?

Given a 18.5 recoil spring and Steel, IMHO
the occaisional couple of clips aren't that heavy
a beating.

SAAMI
.45 ACP 21,000 pSI/CUP
.45 ACP 23,000
.400 CorBon 23,000 - Igot that from a COrBon rep who
stated SAAMI rated it at that 2 years ago. It would be
nice if they'd publish their friggin standards, last one was
14 years ago.
.45 Super 27,000
.460 Roland ????

10MM AUto 37,500 and although some 10MM Auto chambered
Semi-AUtos LOOK like a 1911 the Colt Delta Elite as well as the Dan
Wesson have strengthened frame and other stress areas/pieces to
take this high pressure round. Colt found this out with it's original try
at chambering a 1911 by simply changing the barrel recoil srping/slide
and mags. - they got beat up so Colt went back and beefed it up - and
the Delta Elite was born - it is NOT a 1911. but its based on
the design. So, when people ask about converting their 1911 to
10MM Auto they need to do some more homework.

Randall
Old 07-16-2008, 08:21 PM

I called Taurus about this and they said I can shoot +p in my PT1911 as much as I want.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:17 PM

45+p

160g DPX cor-bon in my ed brown kobra carry--no problems.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flockmaster View Post
I called Taurus about this and they said I can shoot +p in my PT1911 as much as I want.
Once again, give it up for the PT1911. And just think, I'm waiting for a new Kimber that's on order. It's called a Pro Carry, and I plan on carrying it. So, it will have to shoot +P's., like the 200gr. Gold Dot's and the 230 gr. HST's. We'll see soon.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:53 PM

I shoot TAP 200 gr +p -- zero problems. I can't even tell a difference in recoil. I use a 18.5# recoil spring for everything though. That may have something to do with it.

I can get away with it I think, also because I have a ramped barrel with chamber support. I will agree that the .45 cartridge is better at it's intended pressure, but I can't get a hold of any .45 HSTs around here -- which are arguably the best standard pressure rounds out there imo.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbhc View Post
I shoot TAP 200 gr +p -- zero problems. I can't even tell a difference in recoil. I use a 18.5# recoil spring for everything though. That may have something to do with it.

I can get away with it I think, also because I have a ramped barrel with chamber support. I will agree that the .45 cartridge is better at it's intended pressure, but I can't get a hold of any .45 HSTs around here -- which are arguably the best standard pressure rounds out there imo.
Go to Ammunitiontogo.com, you'll be pleased.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:34 AM

+p .45

My Springfield Manual says that you should not use +P in guns shorter than five inches. My Federal hollow points do well.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankylove
If you want the higher velocities and energy, get a 10mm., 400 Corbon, 460 rowland, etc.
+1!

As many have already said, the standard 230Gr load has plenty of umph. Why spend the extra money.
I'm not worried about terrorism, I was married; TWICE!
Old 07-17-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat-inCO View Post
+1!

As many have already said, the standard 230Gr load has plenty of umph. Why spend the extra money.
Because some of us think more power is better?

It's a personal choice, if you think it will beat up your gun or you won't need a more powerful round or you can't handle the recoil, don't use it.

It works for me. But I practice with it enough to handle the different recoil impulse.
NRA Life Member
Old 07-18-2008, 08:35 PM

Opinions are like you know what...everyone has one. If your concerned about it with your gun, contact your manufacturer and get their input. Then decide for yourself what your course of action will be and stick to it.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:14 PM

now that's funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flockmaster View Post
I too called Taurus the other day; they recommended that I do not shoot +P out of the Stainless PT1911 that I bought.

I called Sig-Sauer about my new Revolution TSR and was told that I shouldn't shoot it all the time, that it was ok for carry but recommend against continual shooting.

My favorite all time .45 acp carry round is Remington's 230 grain JHP sub-sonic round; once the duty round for the SFPD when they carried .45s for a duty gun...
Old 07-18-2008, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

When I started carrying +P loads, I put a 20# mainspring in my gun because I loaded hot in my handloads and wanted to preserve my gun. When I gave up shooting my hot loads continuously, I backed off to an 18.5# spring, giving me enough spring to help guard against +P carry ammo and light enough that it wasn't a bear to work.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:39 PM

Do you need it? No.

Will it hurt to shoot it? No.

If you plan to feed it a steady diet of the stuff, order a Wilson spring kit. It has a sear spring balanced to a 18.5# recoil spring balanced to a heavier mainspring (not sure of the weight.)

I run this anyway and use standard pressure most of the time.

I know I won't hurt it with the occasional +P if that's all that's available at a given time though.

Btw, if you're looking at Hornady TAP FPD 230gr +P, it doesn't expand in water after passing through four layers of denim.

Josh <><
Old 07-18-2008, 10:40 PM

Way back there in the dim past I bought a Colt Double Eagle. I asked them about +P They said I could, but don't do it all the time. Since then I've owned other 1911's in different brands. I've shot hot stuff in all of them, expecially Corbon and Hornady hotloads. All worked just fine. Nothing broke. BUT....I've changed my mind on what I carry. I now carry plain, garden variety, "Geneva Convention" standard pressure FMJ. I've never had to use my pistol for SD, but, if I did...and got an ambitious prosecutor, he couldn't accuse me of using those "awful, hollow point cop killer" bullets! The 45acp took us through four major wars. And they start out bigger than the 9's, 40's, etc, end up after they expand...if they expand. The 45acp fmj will definitely make the bad guy stop what he is doing, whether or not it kills him, no matter where you hit him, even in the foot (like some police have been known to do!) Incidentally, if I remember rightly, the Double Eagle was originally put out as a 10mm, so it was plenty strong enough for +P.

Last edited by oldboondog; 07-18-2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:53 PM

You might consider overpenetration into an innocent bystander though... the main reason I use HP is to make it into a parachute and stop it.

Woods carry still gets FMJ.

Josh <><