1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Wilson Combat

Old 07-17-2008, 09:42 AM

Recoil Spring Help

So I've run over a 1,000 rounds through my Tactical Supergrade Compact and I've now experienced a couple of FTFs. I'm figuring that its probably time to change out the recoil spring and I've order/received several replacement springs from Wilson.

Here's the question. On the Compact model you pin back the spring unlike the models that you rotate the bushing and carefully release the spring with your thumb over it. Once I've taken the slide off and removed the captured spring/guide rod assembly what is the best way to pull the pin and release the spring without shooting it across the room. And, since these spring are 20# units how much trouble am I going to have compressing this spring back on to the guide rod so that I can capture it again with the pin.

My 5" Wilson and Kimber are no problem. I just haven't had to change out the 4" guy yet. Any tips or suggestions that don't involve putting the dog's eye out with the spring flying across the room. She wouldn't like that very much.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:52 AM

I know Bill demonstrates how to perform that function on the DVD.

compress the spring on the guide rod then remove the pin and release spring tension.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:53 AM

Tom,
To remove spring after spring/guide rod assembly is out of slide, hold the pinned spring assembly upside down over a padded surface and extract pin with pliers. The spring guide will hit the padded surface hard.

To reassemble, I find an extra hand is helpful and let my wife insert the pin while I compress the spring with guide cap. BE VERY CAREFUL during reassembly. Letting the guide cap slip will shoot it upwards/outward with substantial force!
Old 07-17-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHB1 View Post
BE VERY CAREFUL during reassembly. Letting the guide cap slip will shoot it upwards/outward with substantial force!
Yeah, that was part of what I was worried about. I didn't really have a feel for just how hard it would be to compress by hand without letting it slip. I guess I'll just give it a shot and find out. Hopefully I won't have to chase parts around the room.

Thanks guys. I'll change it out this weekend.