1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > STI/SVI

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-2008, 07:26 PM

STI Eagle 5.0 -first time out, first post here

Shooters Connection in Kentucky had the version I was looking for and sent it out the same day I ordered it. Was looking for an Eagle 5.0 in 40 S&W with bushing barrel (IDPA ok).

The UPS email alert beeped the next day right around lunchtime, so I took the rest of the day off to go pick it up at a local FFL/Dealer and head to the range with it. Show up at the FFL/Gun store and they tell me that they might be able to get to entering the gun in they're books tomorrow or the day after, which would have been saturday (closed the 4th). Kinda shot a hole in my plans for the afternoon, and cost a half days pay to boot! Not liking that answer, I went back and got help from a couple different people willing to spend all the time in the world with me, showing me whatever I wanted to look at in the store. Finally asked one of the guys if rather than help me look at stuff I'm not gonna buy, how bout going and getting my gun entered and get the transfer done. After some complaining about doing that, he produced my gun, entered it and out the door I went.

Transfer saga aside, I finally got to get some rounds downrange and shot a few 3 shot groups off a wood block to get an idea of how it does for groups.

Shooting off a wood block sitting on top of a muck bucket, with a sock full of corn under the mag, in the bed of the Rhino. 27 yards from muzzle to target.
Winchester walmart special ammo, 165gr fmj.

Functioned flawlessly. Crisp trigger break, great feel, slide is smooth like butter and reset is ALOT shorter than I'm used to, nice. Sight adjustment detent is strong and precise and the dawson front sight works great, nice and bright red dot. Rear sight notch is .115 and front sight width is .99, both measured.

Rest setup:

Gun to target pic:

Target to rest pic:

Groups:

Had a few wolf rounds layin in the back to try, 180gr fmj:

Very happy, especially considering it's the first time out, the cheap ammo and my redneck bench restsetup. Can't wait to try some other ammo and get more time driving this thing!

Last edited by rc2125; 07-03-2008 at 07:28 PM. Reason: nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn