1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Kydex and Leather Gear

Old 04-06-2008, 06:46 PM

Mitch Rosen

Does anybody use the American Rear Guard? I am at a toss up between that and the Milt Sparks VMII. I have a Mitch Rosen Workman for my Ruger SP101 that is terrific. I convinced a buddy of mine to order the VMII and it's an awesome holster as well. The ARG is similar in concept to the WKM but in a auto format. I like the idea of the gun being able to shift a bit when I sit down for added comfort. On the other hand, tuckable and evenly weighted is what the VMII offers me. So, I know everyone loves the Sparks stuff but what about Mr. Rosen? Anyone care to weigh in?

Cordially,

Norstrog
Old 04-06-2008, 09:57 PM

I have both. Well sort of. I have the ARG DL which has the extra loop. There is no coparison between the two holsters. The Sparks VMII is hands down the most comfortable.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:13 PM

I agree although I'm partial to the Alessi PCH. Can't go wrong with either.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:44 PM
Average Moderator

I have both. I think the VM-II may have a slight edge in comfort over the ARG. However, my draw is better from the ARG. Both conceal well. I also have a thin ARG-DL. It is not as comfortable as the ARG or the VM-II. I think the difference in comfort is from the extra loop and not from the thinner holster. I find the ARG stays open better, allowing for easier reholstering.
I usually use the ARG.
Holster preferences are very individual. If you can borrow one to try for a few days before you purchase, you can save a lot of money with your experimentation.
I've tried the Rosen Workman for a J-frame, and didn't care for it at all.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:05 AM

I have several VM-IIs and have not found anything better for IWB!

Always carry ~ Never tell!
Old 04-07-2008, 11:34 AM

I found the ARG type holsters to be uncomfortable. The extream muzzle rear rake does make drawing you gun from a seated position easier, but it was not for me.

Make mine a Max Con V thank you.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonstop View Post
Make mine a Max Con V thank you.
Same here. Or SSII.

I've had both, VMII and Workman and just the cant is very different. That was part of th problem for me with the Workman, the very slight cant.

The VMII has quite a bit more cant than the Workman but the Max Con V is even a little bit more than the VMII but I wouldn't call it extreme.

I know that doesn't really answer your question, but since you are comparing the VMII and ARG also with the Workman, I think it's important to know they are very different as far as cant.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-07-2008, 12:23 PM

Mitch Rosen

I have a Mitch Rosen ARG SLIM. I use it on a MR 1 3/4 belt with MR anmmo pouch. I could not be happier. I have used and still have, like most of us, many holsters. I use the ARG SLIM for a S.A 1911 with 5" barrel. I use it 24/7(except while in bed).dont even know it is there. I have worn it for several years.

Mitch rosen products are expensive but to me they are worth it. I beleive you get what you pay for IMHO.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:01 PM

I have both and really don't have much preference - both are comfortable and useful.

Rosen ARG - Colt Government Model 45 ACP -

Milt Sparks VM2 - same Colt Government Model 45 ACP -

Almost boils down to which matches my clothes best - black or brown belt & trousers -

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Last edited by OJK; 04-08-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:20 PM
Banned

holster

I had a Rosen ARG Slim and had the toughest time trying to get it comfortable. I called Mitch to ask a couple of questions and found out his customer skills need some work. Tried a VM II and the Rosen was history especially after the phone call. I don't plan to be try any more Rosen products.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:02 PM

I have an ARG (from back when they were Ayoob Rear Guard) and find it to be comfortable and very concealable. I prefer the Summer Special II, however. The extreme rake of the ARG makes my presentation a little slower and the SS II is concealable enough for me.
SWCA #1724
NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
Old 04-08-2008, 09:56 PM

I have a Sparks Heritage for a Kahr K9 that I ordered a 1 inch double thickness belt. I also have a Rosen ARG for a Kimber ProCarry on a 1 1/4 inch belt.

Both are comfortable and conceal well. The ARG is weird at first because it was so different from the Heritage. I got used to it after a day or two. I really like it. The belt loop is behind the gun and the weight of the gun makes it cant even further which keeps it concealed really well. I like the Heritage because it keeps the gun off my skin ( I carry under a shirt, right against my skin, a 1911 mag release is not kind to the skin).

The Rosen belt was much stiffer and carries weight much better than the Sparks. Granted my Sparks was only 1 inch versus my Rosen at 1 1/4 inch. The Rosen after several years of wearing is still stiffer than the Sparks when I bought it. After a few years the Sparks belt was a wet noodle.

Yeah Mr. Rosen will not win any personality awards. I think he makes good stuff. He will get my business in the future. I still like Sparks holsters. I don't think I would like the VM2. I like that the ARG can shift up and down as I move.

I have a Rosen scabbard for my Sure Fire and a Sparks double mag pouch for the Kahr. The Sparks double mag pouch is hard to conceal. I do not use it for concealed carry. The Rosen rig holds the light very close to the body. I want one of his SOS mag and light rigs.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safarihunter View Post
.... I called Mitch to ask a couple of questions and found out his customer skills need some work...

Amen to that.

I called when I got word my SA Ultra compact was on the way (one of the first made/sold retail) and asked about getting a holster. He ripped my head off telling I had no clue what I was talking about there was no such gun of that size. Needless to say I haven't called back.

Quality it or not, I won't do business with someone that treats a potetnial customer like he did.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:12 AM

I agree there's room for improvment in the sales area, I called and started to ask questions, he wasn't overtly rude, but suddenly he was in an obvious hurry to get off the phone, even suggested I call Dillon to order one of the holsters he makes for them. I told him I wanted a Slimline Workman, he didn't seem too interested in taking my order, but insisted I would need some sort of break-in product, a cream/polish and quoted me $267 with the product added on, then suggested a belt, I have an oversized waist so we're talking a custom, nothing he would have had in stock, I hesitated, and mentioned having a Wilderness Instructor belt, wich he expressed a negative opinion of, then asked for my credit card info. The holster should be ready around mid-May. It may have been a good choice on his part, to just let Dillon handle the marketing and taking orders.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:23 AM

There are several famous holstermakers that have done that very thing recently.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:17 AM

I have never owned a Mitch Rosen holster, but most of what I hear about his products are very good. I do own a MaxCon V and Alessi PCH for a commander size 1911 and VMII for a XD 45 compact. Each one of these holsters are top quality fit and finish and I can't imagine finding a holster more comfortable than these three. The Alessi PCH edges them out in comfort for my 5' 10" 165# frame. I think most people could carry for hours on end with these holsters and feel they made a wise decision..ymmv...