1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Kydex and Leather Gear

Old 03-14-2008, 06:33 PM

FFDO Holsters

I am getting ready to make the transition from active duty to commercial pilot. Several of my friends in the reserve squadron I will be going to are FFDOs and I will want to become one as well. Part of the rules is that when not on flight deck duty, the pistol must be locked up. DeSantis makes a holster for this:

http://www.desantisholster.com/31l.html

Tony, 5Shot, Lou, would you guys be willing to make something like this for a future FFDO? Preferably something like the Axiom with easy on, easy off capability because of the rules about when and where you can carry it on your person. Much more of a nitch market since it is only for one type of gun.

Last edited by Cooperd0g; 03-14-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:34 PM

While on duty you have to use the issued leather. I may be mistaken but I think DeSantis makes a snap on holster with a lock hole. The idea is intriguing but in practice the is a disturbing amount of fumbling that goes into removing and inserting the lock.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:03 PM

We don't make anything with a lockable feature. I was asked by a few Secret Service agents to make our CQC/S with the hole for a lock, and turned it down.
I personally think it's a terrible idea.
It's another gimmick that relies on hardware to circumvent training.
Lou
Old 03-14-2008, 09:44 PM

Mr. Alessi knows of what he speaks. I am lucky enough to have leather by him, as well as Milt Sparks, and Del Fatti. The all do exactly what is needed with no extra bells or whistles. Keep up the good work sir.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:45 PM

While I agree with you that it is not desired at all, it is a requirement of the job. Congress mandated the program to the FAA and TSA, but didn't set guidelines. The FAA and TSA intentionally make it difficult to discourage pilots from wanting to be FFDOs. They were blatantly against the program from the beginning.

I know a few pilots who won't become FFDOs because they don't like the rules associated with the program. Another friend put it this way: Whatever the pain in the ass the rules are, if I can give myself and opportunity to save not only myself, but the hundreds of people in the plane and and who knows how many on the ground, I'm going to follow their dumb rules to do it.

I like his theory and subscribe to that. There are two options, one is to use a locked box when not carrying (can only carry inside the cockpit) and the other is to use a lockable holster. According to my friends there is no "issue leather," but the only lockable holster I know if is that DeSantis one. The lock goes behind the trigger and the issue gun is a H&K USP Compact .40 with LEM trigger.