1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Colt

Old 09-29-2007, 01:57 AM

Custom Grip Colt medallion installation

NOTE: If pictures don't come up please refresh the page on your browser.

MOTIVE:
I love smooth rosewood grips particularly the ones from Chip McCormick. I love Colt medallions.

PROBLEM:Chip McCormick doesn't make smooth rosewood grips with Colt Medallions.

SOLUTION:

Take a set of Chip McCormick Corp smooth rosewood 1911 grips and install the gold Colt medallions then refinish. Simple.

First thing first, I “borrowed” the medallions from my Ajax set and made a quick template for the location of the medallion.

I aligned the template with the CMC grips and marked the spot where the hole for the medallion is to be drilled. Double check to make sure the locations look good, then fire up the drill press.

I drilled an index hole using a small bit to mark the center point. Do this for each grip.

DOUBLE CHECK again, if you mess up on this step, there’s still a chance to fix it.

The diameter of the Colt medallion is the standard ½ inch, so using the ½” wood boring drill bit, line it up with the index hole that I drilled earlier and take a deep breath…

Make sure to hold down the grip so it doesn’t move or slip on accident. I only held it down with my hand although it’s not a bad idea to use a clamp.

GO SLOW during the boring process to avoid any tragic events, stop after the hole is about 1/10” deep.

If the holes aren’t perfectly aligned it’s not really a big deal, I realized that even factory installed medallions aren’t perfect when I was making measurements.

After I finished drilling I test fitted the Colt medallions just to make sure everything is all dandy; Pops right in, not too tight, and not too loose. Excellent.

Remove the medallions and set them aside; it’s time to refinish the grips.

First I used chemical wood stripper to remove the factory sprayed on coating, after the surface finish is gone I carefully sanded the surface, I used 320 grit sand papers, anything higher would take too long and anything lower would cut the wood too fast.

It appears that CM grips were stained as well because I noticed that after sanded it down that bright red color is gone. Great, that’s just want I wanted. Keep in mind that the wood is still naturally reddish, but it isn’t the bright looking, almost orange-ish red from before.

I re-stained the wood with Minwax’s Dark Walnut, which tones down the red, as well as make it darker. This way the grips will have a finish that resembles dark red mahogany.

Above: Grips being stained.

Wait for the stain to set then wipe excess off. Time to install the medallions.

Pretty straight forward process, I used industrial grade epoxy glue to hold the medallions in, be mindful of where the epoxy is applied, we don’t want that stuff to ooze out when you press on the medallion.

Make sure the medallion is positioned upright then use a punch to push the medallion all the way down. Use some sort of padding so the punch doesn’t mar the medallions.

Last and final step is to apply clear coat. Now I’m not a master wood finisher and I don’t have time for a hand rubbed oil finish, plus I didn’t want a glossy surface.

So a spray on polyurethane would do. Some people cringe at the thought of using spray on polyurethane but I think it’s a great looking, easy to use and durable finish and is available in gloss, semi gloss, satin, and etc.

On top of which it offers much more resistance to chemicls an acid from hand sweat.

This is probably the same stuff that CMC uses now for their finish, just a guess.

I did about 5 to 6 coats to ensure that it has a healthy thickness; the finish at this point won't look so nice, you'll see a the wood grains showing through.

But this will be fixed when we sand it down. Think of first coatings as merely to seal the grains.

Above: finish ready to be sanded, notice all the little imperfections and pockets on the finish caused by the deeper wood grains.

After about 24 hours(recommendation was 72hrs, but whatever), sand the finish smooth to remove all the imperfections, then do about 2 more coats. Much better now. Repeat this process until the surface is all perfectly smooth if you like, but I don't think it's necessary. A little bit of grains wouldn't hurt.

Above: Finally!

And voila! The one and only set of CMC smooth rosewood grips with gold Colt medallions!

Here it is on my Colt series 80 stainless, this was intended for my Series 80 blued but I just bought a series 70 reissue blued so I guess this could go on that instead...

Hope you enjoyed, and sorry for the lengthy post.

Last edited by darkest2000; 09-29-2007 at 02:04 AM.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:14 AM

I enjoyed the lenthy post. The pictures were great.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:59 AM

Nice grips

Great job! Beautiful pictures, informative description of the process and super grips. You should be very proud of the results.
Old 09-29-2007, 07:15 AM

Great job wish we had more posts like this one. Thanks for your efforts and instruction.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:39 AM
Hold my beer & watch this

That's awesome! Thanks for the post.
COTEP #10
"Now if you'll excuse me, I've got some death to defy."
Old 09-29-2007, 09:45 AM

I enjoyed this very much. Beautiful job.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:56 AM

Absolutely fabulous!

I know you could make this into a lucrative hobby if you wanted to start selling these!

Not sure if it'd be worth the time but I know I'd want at least 2 sets.

You are pretty handy with that camera,too.

Last edited by 45Driver; 09-29-2007 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:49 PM

Nicely done and very informative!
Old 09-29-2007, 05:50 PM

I enjoyed reading your post. Excellent photos and finished product.

Though it be broken-broken again - still it's there: the moon on the water..
Old 09-29-2007, 08:23 PM

Those grips came out great! You've got a talent I wish I had...
Old 10-02-2007, 08:58 PM

Those look awesome.

Does anyone know a good source to get the SILVER mediallons?
Old 10-06-2007, 01:47 PM

Awesome post, very informative.

What grit sandpaper did you use to sand the grips after you applied the clear?

Chris
"The first step – in the direction of preparation to avert war if possible, and to be fit for war if it should come – is to teach men to shoot!" – President Theodore Roosevelt's last message to Congress.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 39367
What grit sandpaper did you use to sand the grips after you applied the clear?

Chris
400~600 would be ok, but I use 400 for faster cutting. Just make sure to work slower and more carefully to avoid over sanding.