1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 04-20-2007, 09:08 PM

barrel play

is it normal for a 1911 to have a slight barrel play when you press the barrel down from the ejection port while in battery?I have 3 1911s of different makes and all of them exhibits the same. The colt being the tightest, the norinco and the armscor are about the same.Is there a minimum or maximum allowable clearance for this? Any help please.
Ed
Old 04-20-2007, 09:23 PM

If you make it lock up rock solid reliability falls accordingly.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:51 PM

That's bull.

Properly fit, a 1911 barrel will not move like that when the gun is in battery. And properly built, a 1911 with a properly fit barrel (rock solid) will exhibit virtually perfect functional reliability.

Most production 1911s have less than well fit barrels, but they're still fine for most purposes. However, they will not be as accurate as a 1911 with a well-fit barrel, i.e. one that has no movement (at the muzzle or at the rear) while in battery.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmoney
That's bull.

Properly fit, a 1911 barrel will not move like that when the gun is in battery. And properly built, a 1911 with a properly fit barrel (rock solid) will exhibit virtually perfect functional reliability.

Most production 1911s have less than well fit barrels, but they're still fine for most purposes. However, they will not be as accurate as a 1911 with a well-fit barrel, i.e. one that has no movement (at the muzzle or at the rear) while in battery.
I agree with you carmoney! I don't know where guys come up with these myths & misstatements...............
Old 04-21-2007, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planted
I agree with you carmoney! I don't know where guys come up with these myths & misstatements...............

all 3 of my 1911s are stock. no mods. so to answer my question, is this clearace is normal to low end 1911s?
ed
Old 04-21-2007, 05:31 AM

It is quite normal. The statement that "...rock solid lockup, reliability falls........blah, blah" is patent B.S.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:27 AM

Might be so, but I can tighten one to the point it wont work. There has to be some play for reliability. Same with all the specs. chamber dimensions for instance. I can cut you a tight chamber. Course it wont run with any but particular ammo. Link jobs come to mind as well. Too tight and the guns not going to run. Bushings, well you get the idea.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1000
Might be so, but I can tighten one to the point it wont work. There has to be some play for reliability. Same with all the specs. chamber dimensions for instance. I can cut you a tight chamber. Course it wont run with any but particular ammo. Link jobs come to mind as well. Too tight and the guns not going to run. Bushings, well you get the idea.
Nick, there is no "might be so." No one is talking about tighting things up tooo tight. There are, of course, tolerances and there should be zero to very little movement on the downward movement of the barrel. The fitting of the barrel to the frame bridge is where you get the clearance for the top of the chamber to clear the slide. The link should be fit exactly so that the lower lugs just touch the frame; not slam into it or just miss it. My new GI had about .015 downward motion on the chamber area, that is way too much. It now has ZERO and I will put that gun's reliablity up against anything anyone has. I have well over 1500 rounds without a single hiccup; I have other guns with over 40,000 rounds without a hiccup and they are tight.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis385
Nick, there is no "might be so." No one is talking about tighting things up tooo tight. There are, of course, tolerances and there should be zero to very little movement on the downward movement of the barrel. The fitting of the barrel to the frame bridge is where you get the clearance for the top of the chamber to clear the slide. The link should be fit exactly so that the lower lugs just touch the frame; not slam into it or just miss it. My new GI had about .015 downward motion on the chamber area, that is way too much. It now has ZERO and I will put that gun's reliablity up against anything anyone has. I have well over 1500 rounds without a single hiccup; I have other guns with over 40,000 rounds without a hiccup and they are tight.
+1 and ditto. Well stated bdavis.
DISCLAIMER: The preceding personal opinions are just that -- opinions. They were derived through study & reading, from conversations with other firearm enthusiasts, and by finalizing my own experiences regarding the subject at hand; the comments are not intended as a slight against any other opinion/opinions from forum members or administrators...
Old 04-21-2007, 10:53 AM

no play whatsoever is optimal. a little play like you are decribing is not going to make your guns not work. the best fit barrels have zero play. I like it that way...but wouldn't disgard a gun because it had a little movement. as far as minimal or maximum spec for allowed play? I dont have that answer...maybe one of the smiths can chime in, but be forwarned that a barrel should have NO play at all like the others state. NO PLAY at all does not make a gun less reliable when pertaining to the barrel lockup.
NRA Life Member
Old 05-03-2007, 08:36 PM

I don't mean to hijack this thread but you're talking about what I sure wish I knew. I installed a 460 Rowland kit in my Colt combat commander yesterday. I was told by Clarks to fit the rear of the barrel hoot to make it tight. I had called them because the gun would not go into battery and I had to give the comp a bop to loosen the barrel to move the slide to the rear. I discovered that the link with the slide stop in it was actually jamming against the lower support lugs. I wrappped a bit of emery cloth around the slide stop snd eased the clearance behind the link. After many trys I got the gun to go into battery tightly ( I can't always apply the thumb safety). There is zero movement in the barrel in battery and .004-.005 clearance behind the hood. I fired a box through it today and it worked fine. Should I loosen it a little more or let it work itself in? I hope I did the right thing but at least it's working. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.