1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Competitive Shooting

Old 04-20-2007, 02:17 PM

3-gun competition shotgun chokes

I'm just getting into 3-gun competition. What chokes to most folks use in their 3-gun shotgun? My guess would be Improved-Cylinder. Would love to hear what others are using. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:23 PM

Since a lot of the shotgun stages require slugs, the matches are really designed around cylinder bore guns.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:12 PM

Most or our shotgun stages are steel poppers that birdshot will knock down. Sometimes, clay pigeons are thrown up by the falling steel.

So, in guns with screw in chokes . . . do you just remove the choke prior to loading the slugs? I've never actually shot a slug (my deer fall to a .30-06 rifle). Wouldn't a slug damage the threads?
Old 04-20-2007, 09:46 PM
More Cowbell...

I like a light Mod or an Improved Clyinder for almost all IPSC shotgunning. Its fine to shoot slugs through a choked barrel. Just know which choke gives you the best accuracy.

I do however keep a light full and full choke in my bag along with some #4 buck for those long shots on heavy steel.

Never shoot a shotgun with the choke removed. Bad things can happen.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:07 PM

IC all the time.. I carry other chokes, but never use them any longer..
Old 04-21-2007, 12:39 AM

Thanks, all, for the info.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:52 AM

For sure a choked gun needs to be used, typically a imp. cly or modified. If you are shooting any distance at all for example steel plates an open/cylinder choke will spread too much and will not consistantly knock it down. It will be fine on clay birds but where I shoot the mix is heavy steel, light steel and clays all on the same stage.........#4's high velocity and a mod or imp. cly. choke seem to do a good job on all the above. Most places will not allow you to change chokes during the match. Zero you gun for slugs.
Old 04-24-2007, 02:06 PM
Banned

"[QUOTE=Tom Freeman]I like a light Mod or an Improved Clyinder for almost all IPSC shotgunning. Its fine to shoot slugs through a choked barrel. Just know which choke gives you the best accuracy."

I looked at chokes the first couple years I shot 3 gun and also found the "light modified" to be a very good all around choke. It'll do OK with slugs yet keep enough shot on plates out to 25 yards or so. It was my favorite Sporting Clays choke too. I keep imp cyl through full in my bag just in case.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG
For sure a choked gun needs to be used, typically a imp. cly or modified. If you are shooting any distance at all for example steel plates an open/cylinder choke will spread too much and will not consistantly knock it down. It will be fine on clay birds but where I shoot the mix is heavy steel, light steel and clays all on the same stage.........#4's high velocity and a mod or imp. cly. choke seem to do a good job on all the above. Most places will not allow you to change chokes during the match. Zero you gun for slugs.
I use an IC choke with standard velocity #6's. I can get back on the gun faster than with any high velocity and bigger shot. Although I have seen a lot of guys using Hi-vel #4's. But they aren't as fast as others using less powerful shells. I haven't had issues taking down steel but maybe it's just a matter of time.
NRA Life Member
Old 04-25-2007, 08:59 AM
More Cowbell...

Quote:
Most places will not allow you to change chokes during the match.
Must be a local rule. Its not in any IMGA, USPSA, ect rulebook or big match booklet that I can find.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:17 AM
Banned

I don't think I've heard a rule about changing chokes in USPSA 3 gun, IMG, skeet, trap, or sporting clays....?
Old 04-25-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Freeman
Must be a local rule. Its not in any IMGA, USPSA, ect rulebook or big match booklet that I can find.
True....locally you got to dance with the lady you brung. No changing guns, optics, chokes, etc. What you start with is what you finish with. Keeps everyone on a level playing field. Also, there are some steel (IDPA target size) that will laugh at 8 shot and very possibably 6 shot. If you had to go with one shot to do it all we've found Rem. green box #4's will do it.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:01 AM

Quote:
True....locally you got to dance with the lady you brung. No changing guns, optics, chokes, etc. What you start with is what you finish with. Keeps everyone on a level playing field. Also, there are some steel (IDPA target size) that will laugh at 8 shot and very possibably 6 shot. If you had to go with one shot to do it all we've found Rem. green box #4's will do it.
LOL....local matches can be funny. I suppose I could come up with a steel target it would take 3" 00 buck to take down.

shoot well
NRA Life Member
Old 04-25-2007, 02:16 PM

What's funny is on one stage see someone shoot clay birds then a few steel plates on a stand that 6's or 8's will knock down (with open chokes) then throw in a couple of heavy steel plates that you have to use buck or the like.... and they sit there scratching their heads wondering what went wrong.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:24 PM

Our steel is all set for USPSA minor calibers. So, no heavy stuff for the shotguns. Plus, we often will shoot the same stage twice -- once with a pistol and then with a shotgun or rifle. Last match we had two steel stages that were shot with both pistol and shotgun. However, the courses were set up for the ICORE folks. So, the steel had to be very light for those guys shooting minor revolver.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:39 PM
More Cowbell...

Quote:
then throw in a couple of heavy steel plates that you have to use buck or the like
Exactly why I shoot steel targets with 1.125 oz of #4 loaded to about a 3 dram. Clay birds get #9 spreaders.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Freeman
There is an argument that USPSA rules do not allow swapping chokes. Multi-Gun Rule 5.1.7 reads, in pertinent part: "Competitors must not reconfigure any firearm (i.e., change caliber, barrel, stock or grip style, sighting system, and fixed magazine or magazine tube) during the course of a match."

Of course, Shot Gun rule 5.2.8 reads, in pertinent part: "Equipment that is only used when fitted to the shotgun (except chokes, ammunition, speed loaders and ammunition carriers) and is to be used at any time during the match must be fitted to the shotgun prior to the start of the match and for the duration of the match."

A strict reading of Rule 5.2.8 only allows a competitor to remove or install the same choke tube to be used in the shotgun during the match and does not allow a competitor to change the choke of the shotgun pursuant to Multi Gun Rule 5.1.7.

There is also an argument that the Shotgun rule allows one to swap chokes for different stages. I haven't seen and interpretation of this rule by the NROI.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:11 AM

I normally use either a Skeet or Modified choke tube depending on the targets. I also normally use 1.125 oz of #8's with 3.25 dram powder charge. But I also carry #6's in my bag for long range steel.