1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 04-05-2007, 08:07 AM

Plans to build a plate rack & duelling tree

Hey fellas- Where can I run down plans for a decent plate rack and duelling tree. I don't want anything super fancy as it's just for my personal shooting. I have the torch and welder, and can get all the metal, just need some plans to save me hours of figuring out how to build it. Thanks for any help on this!
Old 04-05-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planted
Hey fellas- Where can I run down plans for a decent plate rack and duelling tree. I don't want anything super fancy as it's just for my personal shooting. I have the torch and welder, and can get all the metal, just need some plans to save me hours of figuring out how to build it. Thanks for any help on this!
I would be interested in this also
Old 04-06-2007, 10:53 AM

ditto, I posted a simular thread over in accessories, but no bites there either. must not be many metal fabrication guys on here.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:57 AM

Have you looked at one in person? It shouldn't be that hard to build one with no plans.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:02 PM

The main thing I'm wondering about is what thickness of steel to use. Bullets can't penatrate, but its got to have enough give so that the bullets don't richochet.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:15 PM

Here's some pics of some our club built, falling round plates can be interchanged with cutouts of steel bowling pins....all are 1/2" thick. Legs are removeable for transport and storage. Sorry I don't have better photos of the pivoting mechanism.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambluemax
The main thing I'm wondering about is what thickness of steel to use. Bullets can't penatrate, but its got to have enough give so that the bullets don't richochet.
I would think 3/8 or 1/2 inch would be plenty...
Old 04-06-2007, 02:38 PM

Well, I 've got a guy cutting me out six 8" diameter plates in hard steel, but I'm not sure if it's 3/8 or 1/2". He's cut them out before and knows what thickness works, I don't know the guy, he's a friend of my wife's brother and he lives up in PA someplace or I'd ask him how he built his. Figuring out the type beam and how to set the plates, the reset gizmo, etc. is what gets tough, when you've never seen one up close. The duelling tree would be alot simpler to build, I think, but I want one of each. I've searched the web as best I could using google and ask.com for some plans on a plate rack, but haven't found anything.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:59 PM

Here's a quicky I drew up, nothing fancy. The entire principle is based on pivot points and leverage. This one is simple and quick, to make the targets removeable modifications can be added. May want to bolt on the target plates or use a quick release pin design. Possibilities are endless. Make sure you use a heavy piece of angle for the front deflector, this will protect the pivoting mechanism from bullet damage. May want to add detachable wheels to the legs for moving the unit around. We found that chains work better than a reset rope....not as likely to get cut in two by a bullet.

Old 04-06-2007, 04:54 PM

Something our group built into ours was a screw into the front of each station to adjust just how close to vertical the plate or popper stood. This allowed you to adjust the sensitivity of the target despite uneven ground.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:02 PM

Let me see if I can find some plans for some SASS targets for you. They are armor plate and swing free so you don't have any problems with ricochet.

Once one of my pards gets back to me I'll post a link.

For knock-down targets, ditto on the chains. At least for a yard or so that attaches to the target. The rest can be rope and that might save you a few bucks.

"I'm a man... but I can change...if I have to...I guess."--Red Green The Man's Prayer
Old 04-06-2007, 05:23 PM

Now we're talkin!....

Thanks Rembrandt & Serenity!!!!! I'm looking forward to building one as soon as it warms up.. It supposed to average 60 degrees here in Ohio at this time of the year. It's 33.....snow showers to boot. Last week it was almost 80.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:30 PM

Try these.
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...le/CHtrgts.htm

They are designed for CAS but I've been to quite a few matches and they are safe and reliable.

"I'm a man... but I can change...if I have to...I guess."--Red Green The Man's Prayer

Last edited by Serenity; 04-06-2007 at 08:32 PM.