1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting

Old 08-31-2006, 12:00 PM

Changing Ejection Angle

I was wondering if anyone knew what to do to change the angle at which the brass ejects after firing. My Springfield mil-spec sends the brass almost straight back, at great speed. This is even after putting on a wolff 18lb recoil spring. The gun has the stock ejector and a wilson bullet proof extractor.
Old 08-31-2006, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiehacker
I was wondering if anyone knew what to do to change the angle at which the brass ejects after firing. My Springfield mil-spec sends the brass almost straight back, at great speed. This is even after putting on a wolff 18lb recoil spring. The gun has the stock ejector and a wilson bullet proof extractor.

dixihacker,

Try using another pound spring like a Wilson 16 1/2 pounder and see what happens. Your mil-spec might have a semi long ejector and a smith might be able to carefully file the ejector angle a bit to bounce it in a different direction. In addition you might recheck the extractor tension to see if it's a bit too tight. That sounds like it more than filing the ejector angle.

rimfire,22
Old 08-31-2006, 01:57 PM

My Springfield was doing the same thing, The brass was hitting me in the face. I loosened the extractor a little bit and now it ejects at about 4 o'clock.
Old 08-31-2006, 03:21 PM

i have no ejection issues with my mil-spec. cycled cases went back and to the right, not once coming close to me.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:14 PM

Thanks everyone for your help so far. I have another quick question, though. I just field stripped my gun to get started adjusting the extractor when I noticed that the ejector is a little loose in the frame. Not much, but enough that it wiggles slightly. Is this a problem that I will need to address first?
Old 08-31-2006, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiehacker
Thanks everyone for your help so far. I have another quick question, though. I just field stripped my gun to get started adjusting the extractor when I noticed that the ejector is a little loose in the frame. Not much, but enough that it wiggles slightly. Is this a problem that I will need to address first?
after looking at my Combat Customizing the 1911 Auto by Wilson Combat (DVD) when they strip the pistol the extractor is in there tight, and i believe it should not be loose.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:08 PM

I had an ejector get loose on me just last week. It was a pinned ejector BTW. It did cause problems with ejection. Put a new pin in and added a little loctite. Back to normal. Mine was able to move up and down, no wiggle.
Old 09-01-2006, 12:06 PM

If a loose ejector is a problem, would it be better to replace it with a higher quality one while I am at it?
Old 09-01-2006, 02:09 PM

I believe the condition you are desribing might be called "clocking." The FP stop should hold the extractor firmly in place. You may need to have a new FP stop installed. Sorry, I tought you said the extractor was loose--you said ejector.
Old 09-01-2006, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_Kid
after looking at my Combat Customizing the 1911 Auto by Wilson Combat (DVD) when they strip the pistol the extractor is in there tight, and i believe it should not be loose.
oops, i meant to say "ejector", sorry, my bad. it was tight even after the guy de-pinned (or de-clipped) it, he had to pry it out.
Old 09-01-2006, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allthewayto11
I believe the condition you are desribing might be called "clocking." The FP stop should hold the extractor firmly in place. You may need to have a new FP stop installed. Sorry, I tought you said the extractor was loose--you said ejector.

Come to think of it, while I am at it, I shoud install an oversize FP stop as well. The extractor does clock a bit too.