1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise


Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Gunsmithing & Troubleshooting


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-31-2006, 12:00 PM
dixiehacker dixiehacker is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 30
Changing Ejection Angle




I was wondering if anyone knew what to do to change the angle at which the brass ejects after firing. My Springfield mil-spec sends the brass almost straight back, at great speed. This is even after putting on a wolff 18lb recoil spring. The gun has the stock ejector and a wilson bullet proof extractor.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-31-2006, 01:29 PM
rimfire,22 rimfire,22 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: california
Age: 58
Posts: 1,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiehacker
I was wondering if anyone knew what to do to change the angle at which the brass ejects after firing. My Springfield mil-spec sends the brass almost straight back, at great speed. This is even after putting on a wolff 18lb recoil spring. The gun has the stock ejector and a wilson bullet proof extractor.

dixihacker,

Try using another pound spring like a Wilson 16 1/2 pounder and see what happens. Your mil-spec might have a semi long ejector and a smith might be able to carefully file the ejector angle a bit to bounce it in a different direction. In addition you might recheck the extractor tension to see if it's a bit too tight. That sounds like it more than filing the ejector angle.

rimfire,22
__________________
rimfire,22
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-31-2006, 01:57 PM
leecreekkid leecreekkid is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ark
Age: 52
Posts: 1,181
My Springfield was doing the same thing, The brass was hitting me in the face. I loosened the extractor a little bit and now it ejects at about 4 o'clock.
__________________
Kimber 1911 Pro Carry II 40 S&W, Sig P232 380 acp,S&W 1911 45 Acp, Browning Hi-Power 9mm
If you can fix it, fix it. If you can't, don't worry about it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-31-2006, 03:21 PM
1911_Kid 1911_Kid is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,021
i have no ejection issues with my mil-spec. cycled cases went back and to the right, not once coming close to me.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-31-2006, 09:14 PM
dixiehacker dixiehacker is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 30
Thanks everyone for your help so far. I have another quick question, though. I just field stripped my gun to get started adjusting the extractor when I noticed that the ejector is a little loose in the frame. Not much, but enough that it wiggles slightly. Is this a problem that I will need to address first?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-31-2006, 09:20 PM
1911_Kid 1911_Kid is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiehacker
Thanks everyone for your help so far. I have another quick question, though. I just field stripped my gun to get started adjusting the extractor when I noticed that the ejector is a little loose in the frame. Not much, but enough that it wiggles slightly. Is this a problem that I will need to address first?
after looking at my Combat Customizing the 1911 Auto by Wilson Combat (DVD) when they strip the pistol the extractor is in there tight, and i believe it should not be loose.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-31-2006, 10:08 PM
herd48 herd48 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: West By God Virginia
Posts: 4,572
I had an ejector get loose on me just last week. It was a pinned ejector BTW. It did cause problems with ejection. Put a new pin in and added a little loctite. Back to normal. Mine was able to move up and down, no wiggle.
__________________
I'm the NRA
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-01-2006, 12:06 PM
dixiehacker dixiehacker is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 30
If a loose ejector is a problem, would it be better to replace it with a higher quality one while I am at it?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-01-2006, 02:09 PM
Allthewayto11 Allthewayto11 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 289
I believe the condition you are desribing might be called "clocking." The FP stop should hold the extractor firmly in place. You may need to have a new FP stop installed. Sorry, I tought you said the extractor was loose--you said ejector.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-01-2006, 04:19 PM
1911_Kid 1911_Kid is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 1,021
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_Kid
after looking at my Combat Customizing the 1911 Auto by Wilson Combat (DVD) when they strip the pistol the extractor is in there tight, and i believe it should not be loose.
oops, i meant to say "ejector", sorry, my bad. it was tight even after the guy de-pinned (or de-clipped) it, he had to pry it out.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-01-2006, 06:12 PM
dixiehacker dixiehacker is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allthewayto11
I believe the condition you are desribing might be called "clocking." The FP stop should hold the extractor firmly in place. You may need to have a new FP stop installed. Sorry, I tought you said the extractor was loose--you said ejector.

Come to think of it, while I am at it, I shoud install an oversize FP stop as well. The extractor does clock a bit too.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 PM.


NOTICE TO USERS OF THIS SITE: By continuing to use this site, you certify that you have read and agree to abide by the Legal Terms of Use. All information, data, text or other materials ("Content") posted to this site by any users are the sole responsibility of those users. 1911Forum does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, or quality of such Content.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2011 1911Forum.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved