1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 07-15-2006, 01:03 AM

What SD ammo do you carry in your Ultras?

I am trying to decide on what would be a good SD round for my Ultra Carry. My full size enjoys .230grn Hydra-Shok but the Ultra choked up on it instantly. It feeds .230grn FMJ just fine but SD not so well. Any suggestions? What do you carry? Thanks.

Dan Wesson CBOB, Hk45, Hk P30, S&W 442, S&W 27-2 3.5", S&W 629-4 3", 686-6+ 3", WASR 10, BCM Mid Length build, PTR-91KF, Remington 870 Express, Remington 700PSS
Old 07-15-2006, 01:51 AM

1st round is 230 gr. ball followed by a stagger of Winchester Black Talons and Remington Golden Sabers.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:16 AM

I may be missing something. Why do you use 1st round hard ball?

Dan Wesson CBOB, Hk45, Hk P30, S&W 442, S&W 27-2 3.5", S&W 629-4 3", 686-6+ 3", WASR 10, BCM Mid Length build, PTR-91KF, Remington 870 Express, Remington 700PSS
Old 07-15-2006, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppopbang
I may be missing something. Why do you use 1st round hard ball?
Retired policeman told me thats what he carries in case he has to shoot through glass ...windshield ect....better penetration on first round. Actually his stagger was ball, hollow point, ball ect. Figured after 28 yrs. of law enforcement, he probably knew a few tricks.

Last edited by randyman_ar; 07-15-2006 at 02:49 AM.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:06 AM

I use 185 grain Speer Gold Dot HP rounds (in Ultra CDP II). The department I work for mandates what rounds we must carry in our off-duty guns. I might have chosen something else, but I have never had any problems with this round.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:30 AM

The Remmington Golden Saber feeds real good and has low flash at night.
Old 07-15-2006, 02:22 PM
Banned

Have your Ultra checked out. Mine feeds 230gr HydraShoks and Golden Sabers "all day long" (as if I can afford to shot this stuff more than once a month!).

Mine is an older Series II before the horrible external extractor. Mine does not have a rampped barrel.

-- Chuck
Old 07-15-2006, 03:32 PM

I use 230 gr Hydra-Shok, Golden Saber, Gold Dot, or Win Ranger SXT -- whatever is on sale when I need more.

You might what to check the round count on your Ultra, as the recoil springs often need to be changed after 800-1100 rounds. One of the symptoms is the side hits the frame harder which can cause the rounds in the mag to be lower in position than they should be, (more frame jump from the impact and inertia holds the rounds down) which can cause a JHP to hang on the ramp while a ball round will still climb it. If you feel a bit of "hesitation" occasionally as the slide chambers the next round, good chance this is the problem. Stronger mag spring sometimes helps. Probably another reason a lot of these little guns have problems with +P loads.

I wouldn't hesitate to carry ball ammo if I had any doubts about JHP in the gun. The three most important things in bullet performance is Placemanet, Placement, and Penetration. There is a lot of upside to carrying what ammo you practice with.

--wally.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:56 PM

Currently carrying Winchester Ranger 230gr JHP +P. Feeds reliably and is quite accurate. Good value, too, @ $18/50 rounds at the last gun show. I plan to give Cor Bon DPX a try, since I've heard so many good things about it.
Dick Winters
Old 07-15-2006, 06:02 PM

I use Hornady Tap in my Pro Carry and my 4 inch tle
Old 07-15-2006, 07:16 PM

I use 230 gr Hydra-Shok with no problems. Dennis
Old 07-15-2006, 07:31 PM

I have traded mine off regrettably, but use to carry the Corbon Pow'r ball. They had a polymer ball in the end. Very reliable and gave excellent accuracy.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:42 PM
Banned

Old 07-15-2006, 08:25 PM

I like the Taurus Hex with the 185 gr. Barnes copper bullet. Feeds well, expands perfectly (in water or wet newspaper) and should have acceptable penetration. Taurus is hard to find sometimes, so if I couldn't get it I might try the CorBon DPX (same bullet). However the Corbon is a +P round, and I would rather stick to "normal pressure" rounds to save wear and tear on the frame.

I also like the 230-gr Remington Golden Sabers, bonded or otherwise.

I tried the CorBon Powerball, but in water or wet-pack testing it didn't expand from the 3" barrel. Did fine in a full-size 1911 however. YMMV

Actually any of the cartridges mentioned so far will get the job done given good shot placement. Choose what functions best in your individual gun. Can't hit 'em if the gun don't work!

JMHO,
Albert
Old 07-15-2006, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S
Your point?
Old 07-16-2006, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally_666
I use 230 gr Hydra-Shok, Golden Saber, Gold Dot, or Win Ranger SXT -- whatever is on sale when I need more.

You might what to check the round count on your Ultra, as the recoil springs often need to be changed after 800-1100 rounds. One of the symptoms is the side hits the frame harder which can cause the rounds in the mag to be lower in position than they should be, (more frame jump from the impact and inertia holds the rounds down) which can cause a JHP to hang on the ramp while a ball round will still climb it. If you feel a bit of "hesitation" occasionally as the slide chambers the next round, good chance this is the problem. Stronger mag spring sometimes helps. Probably another reason a lot of these little guns have problems with +P loads.

I wouldn't hesitate to carry ball ammo if I had any doubts about JHP in the gun. The three most important things in bullet performance is Placemanet, Placement, and Penetration. There is a lot of upside to carrying what ammo you practice with.

--wally.
Round count: 450. Brand spanking new. It fed FMJ fine, didn't like American Eagle for some reason though. This was also with the factory mag. I have some wilsons on the way though. I have heard from a few people that compact 1911s don't do well with .230grn for some reason so I was wondering if that was it, again, all the FMJ was .230 so that did make me wonder a bit. Once I get the wilson mags in I will try some of the ammo mentioned above. Thanks everyone. I had not thought of stagering ammo, interesting. I think that ball would be pretty darned effective as a SD round but the worry of over penitration is the only reason that it keeping me from loading my pistols with it, however I make a point of keeping at least one box of ball for each of my pistols. I figgure if I have to crack into those, SD rounds are the least of my worries. I will keep you all posted on what hapens on my next range trip with this little guy. I love this pistol!!

Old 07-16-2006, 03:10 AM

Carry ammo

I trade off between Hornady Tap, Pmc Starfire, and Golddots........all 230 grain. Never a problem with any. I did just get some 185 grain golddots and will give them a try this weekend.

Take care, Mike Arnold
Old 07-16-2006, 10:22 AM
Banned

Power Ball? Have you seen the terminal ballistics of this gimmick round?

-- Chuck
Old 07-16-2006, 12:13 PM

Thank you. No I have not, and I'll not argue that point, however they were extremely accurate and function was 100% in my Ultra CDP. Also recoil was mild.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:04 PM

In my Ultra Eclipse I'm presently carrying Winchester 185 grain SilverTips and 230 FMJ in my spare mag. The short barrel of the Ultra combined with the already "slow" .45 rd will very likely nix any chances of expansion and if it did expand with it already moving slower from the shorter barrel then you might not get enough penetration. I don't use the 185 ST in hopes of expansion, actually, I hope it don't expand much if at all....I want penetration and hope that the hollowpoint will just hopefully serve to "catch" any bones and break them rather than skim over them.

I talked with a rep from Kimber that carries the same pistol and they said that they practiced with 200 SWCs most of the time and carried 230 FMJ. I'd prefer to carry a 200 SWC but mine has a problem with the empty hitting the edge of the waiting round and hanging up occassionally with the loads I already have on hand. I'm gonna try seating the SWC out a tad farther and see if it will resolve it but absolute reliability is a must and the round nose contour of FMJ and the ST works well.

Remington ammo is noted for having a good round nose contour on their hollowpoint ammo and the Golden Saber should work well. I already had a stash of SilverTips on hand so thats what I'm using. I tried some Speer 185 GoldDots and they had a substantial blast and recoil increase over the STs or hardballs...go figure...plus the Kimber rep didn't recommend GoldDots at all .... probably for feeding issues....the few I tried fed fine but they do have a wide mouth and if you're using an aluminum frame pistol the sharp edges of the mouths may tend to dig in more than a more rounded profile would ??? I also ran some 230 Ranger Ts thru it and they functioned fine but had more kick also.

The SilverTips have a little less kick than the hardballs do in my pistol but either is controllable. I wouldn't have any reservations of using just 230 FMJ in this pistol and it may actually be the best choice for the short strokers
Old 07-17-2006, 07:55 PM

I had an Ultra CDP I carried for years. I always used 165g Federal Hydra-Shock. In such a short barrel I wanted the lighter grain to get the FPS over 800. At that speed the HP is more likely expand in the target.

Regards,
Greyson