1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Ammo Can

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2005, 01:28 AM

I would like to see some pics before I can believe any of this. First of all nobody hunts caribou with a 45 acp. And second, how did you get two caribou tags? And third, you sure ruined a lot of meat!!
Also, if you were on a 4 wheeler the caribou would'nt have been anywhere close enough for a pistol shot. Yes they are dumb. But they also are very skitish and afraid.
Did you fix your flat? Did you dress out the caribou? How did you pack them out? Inquiring minds want to know.

John Wayne
Old 09-27-2005, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blammo
I would like to see some pics before I can believe any of this. First of all nobody hunts caribou with a 45 acp. And second, how did you get two caribou tags? And third, you sure ruined a lot of meat!!
Also, if you were on a 4 wheeler the caribou would'nt have been anywhere close enough for a pistol shot. Yes they are dumb. But they also are very skitish and afraid.
Did you fix your flat? Did you dress out the caribou? How did you pack them out? Inquiring minds want to know.
The caribou came out while he was changing a flat on his 4 wheeler. I would suspect that he had time to turn and shoot with his pistol but not get at his rifle. As far as getting 2 tags for caribou not much problem for a resident depending on his location. When I lived in McGrath Alaska my resident hunting/trapping/fishing license was $35.00. For that princely sum I was given 1 moose tag any sex, 3 black bear tags, and 5 caribou tags, plus all the small game and fish I could shoot or catch. And my brown bear tag was $25.00 and purchased mainly for protection when moose and caribou hunting, didn't much want to shoot a brownie didn't want to eat one.

Where you at in Alaska? Sinuk? Sure wish my wife had liked Alaska, but I figured I'd had her around for 28years and didn't want to get rid of her so now I am in Nebraska still wishing I were back in Alaska.
Old 01-22-2006, 05:51 PM

Wish you could

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman
In any event, taking two large animals with four shots from a 1911 is damn good in my book, and I like the performance of the Golden Saber. I use the 147gr in my 9mm and the 230gr in the .45. I had never heard of taking caribou with a pistol before. I would like to carry my Colt when deer hunting, for that 'coup de grace' sometimes needed, but it's not allowed in my state.
I have used my S&W 1911 with golden sabers and gold dots to very good effect on deer in kentucky. i have never had to shoot a deer more than once with either of these loads. i keep ranges to 40yds or less.
Old 01-22-2006, 06:05 PM

good stuff,but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
I buy Speer's Gold Dot ammo. It’s bonded bullet technology and readily available to civilians. I buy it locally for $10.00 + tax.
speer gold dot is amazing performing ammo. i have had a problem with it though. i have a s&w 1911 and when i use gold dot ammo if i have to chamber a round more than once{ after cleaning,letting someone handle the gun ect} the bullet gets shoved into the casing some. does any one know how to put an end to this and will it cause any ill effects?
Old 01-22-2006, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckian
speer gold dot is amazing performing ammo. i have had a problem with it though. i have a s&w 1911 and when i use gold dot ammo if i have to chamber a round more than once{ after cleaning,letting someone handle the gun ect} the bullet gets shoved into the casing some. does any one know how to put an end to this and will it cause any ill effects?
i mean other than changing to different ammo
Old 01-22-2006, 06:49 PM

FWIW.. I use 180 GS in a 10mm.
I shot an antelope that had it's back broken by someone hitting it with a car.

I shot it from about 25 yards in the back of the head. The bullet exited out the front, and blew both eyes out of their sockets.

I shot a 800 pound heifer in the about the same condition in the head from about the same distance. She was standing facing me when I fired. The shot knocked off her feet and she was virtually dead when she hit the ground. On the other hand, I have never had the same round exit when the animal is shot broadside through the chest.

I have shot prairie dogs at about the same range, and in most cases their bodies explode.. that is not to say a pink mist, but they are turned pretty much into a ball of mush with head and legs on the end of it. Badgers hit with this round don't explode, but they are anchored to the ground immediately and don't move.

Pound for pound there aren't many critters any tougher to stop than a badger. Now a badger on Meth, might be a bit of a problem, but I think the GS will do for anything/anybody I may have to deal with.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:04 AM

I have been following this thread and want to add a few things to it. I bought a box of Remington Golden Saber ammo. It says HPJ-High Performance Jacket on the front of the box. 185 gr. Brass Jacketed Hollow Pt. -GS45APC 45ACP +P. I choronographed 5 of them Friday.

1. 1106
2. 1114
3. 1112
4. 1135
5. 1124

Average Vel= 1113.8

These have a stout recoil. I don't know what the regular GS 230 feel like. (not the +P). Maybe I will get some regular GS 230's and choronograph them soon. They will probably be like shooting hardball ammo. Thanks...TheTodd

Last edited by TheTodd; 01-23-2006 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentuckian
i mean other than changing to different ammo
I'm no bullet expert, but from what I've read in gun books and various websites, including those dedicated to reloading, your options seem to be to switch to a different brand of ammo or dispose of any round where the bullet suffers set back (which is what you described). I wouldn't shoot them; my understanding is that a setback bullet can cause abnormally high pressure in the case if fired. Maybe it goes kaboom; maybe it doesn't. 45 ACP brass is supposed to be relatively forgiving, but I wouldn't risk it.
Old 01-24-2006, 03:30 PM

thought so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyteP38
I'm no bullet expert, but from what I've read in gun books and various websites, including those dedicated to reloading, your options seem to be to switch to a different brand of ammo or dispose of any round where the bullet suffers set back (which is what you described). I wouldn't shoot them; my understanding is that a setback bullet can cause abnormally high pressure in the case if fired. Maybe it goes kaboom; maybe it doesn't. 45 ACP brass is supposed to be relatively forgiving, but I wouldn't risk it.
Thats kinda what I thought so I've been using 230 rem gshp. Better safe than sorry was my thought. I appriciate the confirmation.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:54 PM

Heres my theory on why it penetrated so far. Number one, it probably didn't expand to its full potential considering the range. And number two it probably expanded in muscle, but after expansion moved primarily through materials that are lighter then muscle and easier for an already expanded or FMJ bullet to move through.

You forget that ballistic gelatin models muscle.

Nevertheless it has been proven that street results on humans with these cartridges are almost exactly those found in gelatin.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:33 PM

Now I am totally confused because the Golden Sabers I carry say GS45APBG "Government Specification". What gives?

MadDog
Old 03-20-2006, 09:10 PM

Just read a performance test report on 4 /9mm 147 gr cartridges and the Golden Saber was given a poor grade because of what the authors considered over penetration.
Flyer
Old 05-11-2006, 08:56 PM

Defense ammo???

Hello all:
Opinions please, I have a series 80 1911 government model. What is a good,accurate defense round.Winchester,Remington, Corbon ? I'd like to find out what luck y'all have had with any of these or different brands.

Thanks y'all
Old 05-11-2006, 09:01 PM

Every gun shoots ammo differently. Shoot different brands and go with what your gun shoots better.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:06 PM

This thread was started almost THREE years ago.
If there is still current discussion to be had, please start a new thread.
Closed Thread