1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > Browning Hi-Power

Old 04-20-2005, 08:03 PM

FN Hi Power for Argentina

I just purchased an FN, Belgian made Hi Power that was manufactured for some branch of the Argentine government.

Red back walnut grips, commander hammer, blue finish.

The left side of the slide reads "Fabrique Nationale D'Armes De Guerre, Herstal - Belgique". Underneath in smaller block lettering, it reads "BROWNING'S PATENT DEPOSE"

The barrel has the usual "Pineapple" proof marks, as well as the bottom of the grip near the mag well.

On the right side of the slide (ejection port side) are the words "POLICIA PROV. BS. AIRES- 61". I assume it was manufactured in 1961.

On the top of the slide just in front of of the rear sight is what appears to be a police crest.

Serial number is 07547, which is marked on slide, frame and barrel.

Any one else have one of these? I think I got a fairly good deal, as it is clean for a gun this old, with some holster wear, which I prefer to call "character".
Old 04-21-2005, 05:41 PM

The "pineapple" proof mark is the final acceptance stamp for a firearm from FN Herstal. It sounds like you got lucky and got one of the Belgian made pistols. Most of the early FMs (pre currency crash) were made from Belgian components assembled in Argentina, but lacked the "pineapple" proof mark. It would be safe to assume that the date stamped on the slide is when the pistol entered service with the B.A. Police dept.
I've seen one other pistol marked similarl to yours, but it looked like a 'range gun' and had a lot of rounds down the tube.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:02 PM

A batch of these pistols was imported by JLD Enterprises. I got mine from them a few years back for $300. I have the same markings ("68" instead of "61" though) and the valued T serial number. It is a little loose in the frame to slide fit, but shoots well. It is a good match for my Herstal Colt from JLD. I have a pack of other BHPs and 1911s, so these will stay in original configuration.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason10mm
... It is a good match for my Herstal Colt from JLD....
What is a Herstal Colt?

Ed
Old 04-30-2005, 11:01 AM

Sorry, brain fart. I meant HARTFORD Colt, they sent a batch down there in the 30s or so, then Argentina bought the equiment to make their own. JLD imported a batch of the Hartford manufactured Colts a few years back.

A FN manufactured 1911 would be pretty cool! Weren't a few manufactured in Europe?
Old 06-09-2005, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason10mm
A batch of these pistols was imported by JLD Enterprises. I got mine from them a few years back for $300. I have the same markings ("68" instead of "61" though) and the valued T serial number. It is a little loose in the frame to slide fit, but shoots well. It is a good match for my Herstal Colt from JLD. I have a pack of other BHPs and 1911s, so these will stay in original configuration.
Since my original post, I found the common "Imported by CAI" engraved in tiny letters on the bottom edge of the slide. Century Arms International must have aquired a batch of these guns from Buenos Aries and brought them into the U.S.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:50 PM

I have one just like it, or at least it used to be......

Collectors, turn your heads.

This may be the most accurate centerfire pistol I own.
Hard chrome by APW.

John
Cape Canaveral
Old 04-17-2006, 01:31 PM

Are these pistols C&R eligible?