1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > USGI/Foreign Military and other Vintage 1911s

Old 04-05-2006, 09:06 PM

Help! Need to know value of 43' Ithaca 1911...?

Hi all.

My neighbor down the sreet has offered to sell me his USGI Ithaca 1911 .45.

It looks to be in around 95% original condition. The parkerizing is really nice, there is just a little holster wear on the edges, w/ out that I would call it 98 or 99%. It looks to have been shot very little, judging by the wear. I know very little about USGI .45's as far as value goes. He (my neighbor) is 71 years old and seems like a real straight up guy, he say's has had the pistol for 50 years. The first 3 numbers of the six digit serial number are in the 885 (000) range, which would put its date of manufacture at 1943, so this is a true wartime pistol, although it is an Ithica, which from what I understand are not valued as highly as the Colts. He is asking $600 for it, which seems like a pretty good deal, (my buddy who works down at my favorite pawnshop seems to feel it is worth around $1000), but the "Blue Book of Gun Values" rates it at around $500- $600, which is what I think the old man is going by... I know that the "Blue Book" is not all that accurate in some areas, and I noticed that "Surf City Firearms" which advertises in Shotgun News wants $1900 for a 44' Ithaca in similar condition... Is $600 a good deal? Whats the pistol (in the neighborhood of) really worth??? Any help on this will be much appreciated, as I have been wanting a true wartime USGI 1911 .45 for quite a while now.

thanks,
James.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:10 PM
Administrator

If the guy is selling it for $600 run, don't walk to his house. Even if refinished and with a few incorrect parts it's worth at least that. If everything is original then $1200-$1500 is more like it for value. You might even want to treat the guy to a nice big barbeque this summer as well.

BTW Surf City Firearms, what they sell and what they are worth is another matter entirely.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:21 PM

I have to agree, just about any USGI that isn't totally screwed up is worth $600. Truthfully, if the guy was my neighbor and I liked him, I'd offer him $100 more for it (or offer to cut his grass for the Summer) and it's still a steal if it's as nice as you say.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:03 PM

What does "Du-Lite" bluing over a blasted surface look like? Does it look similar, but a little different than a parked finish???
He told me it was parked, but when I looked at it, it looked a bit different than the straight up mag or zinc phosphate type finishes that I have seen before, but I just figured it was some type of parkerized finish, like the green tinted zinc phosphate finishes I have seen on Garands from that era...
Old 04-05-2006, 10:56 PM

Wow, thats it to a "T".
Thank you guys for all your help, it is much appreciated. This will be my first USGI .45.!!!
Old 04-05-2006, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Don't forget to post pictures.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:46 PM

I looked for a DuLite Ithaca for 15 years and paid too much for an 85% gun to just have one. They are about half as common as a US&S. I had 5 US&S durning that time and passed on at least 20 more. I would have paid at least $2000 for a 95% gun that was original. I saw one today in the 868XXX range, but it was refinished and priced at $1300. You may have made a great find.