1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Hardware & Accessories > Reloading Bench

Old 01-28-2006, 09:28 AM

caliper recommendations

After seeing the many calipers that are available, I'd really appreciate recommendations for brands and prices.

I know you only get what you pay for, but can I get a decent caliper for $20-$30? How about the electronic displays types? They look very convient to read for eyes like mine.

Thanks.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:36 AM
Banned

Fwiw...

I wouldn't spend the money on Mitutoyo or Starrett, unless you have another high precision need for them. You can generally find some inexpensive dial calipers at Harbor Freight (www.harborfreight.com) or at Travers Tool (www.travers.com). You can get a usable set for about $40.00.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:41 AM

Midway has (or had) a dial caliper in that price range. I use it, and it's fine for purposes of handloading. Electronic calipers are likely more expensive.
JT
Old 01-28-2006, 10:42 AM

Midway or Cabela's

Under $40, either kind, just be sure you learn/know how to use whichever you pick.
Indispensable.

I use the ones without batteries......know what I mean?
Old 01-28-2006, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Used a cheap plastic dial caliper from Midway for many years. It worked fine. Always wondered if electronic calipers would be useful or just a toy. Bought a Frankfort Arsenal Stainless Steel Electronic Caliper from Midway last month, on sale for $19.99. Love it! Definitely not a toy. Makes measuring OAL & setting seating die go much, much faster. Digital readout give me confidence that I did not misread the dial.

Good shooting.....Rod.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:09 PM

+1 altho mine was not on sale...regular is around $24.99 - been fine for 8000 rounds worth of use so far...still on the original battery...it definitely slides a little smoother than the Harbor Freight $20 model.
/B
Old 01-28-2006, 07:45 PM

I just bought a digital one at Harbor Freight for $15. It works great and it is metal so it should last for the little use that I will give it.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:25 PM

If you look hard on Ebay, you can find Mitsutoyo for $35 - $50. IMHO, Starret is the best, Mitsutoyo makes good ones and most everything cheaper is not so good over the long haul. The trouble with cheap calipers is that the measurements just start becoming inaccurate and they can be pretty trashed before one thinks, dang these are screwed up. how many rounds will you have loaded a few hundredth's off by then?
Old 01-28-2006, 10:31 PM

I'll second Nathan's statement about having a cheap caliper off the mark and not knowing it. When I started reloading, I had a Lyman Dial Caliper that I though was the cat's pajamas, and cheap to boot. After about 3 months though, I started questioning their accuracy and found that they were giving different readings on the same piece of brass when I measured it several times. I picked up a new Mitutoyo on eBay for about $55 that has been utterly reliable and very accurate. Calipers are like optics. You get what you pay for.

- We who are about to die, don't want to. -
Old 01-29-2006, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredRod
Used a cheap plastic dial caliper from Midway for many years. It worked fine. Always wondered if electronic calipers would be useful or just a toy. Bought a Frankfort Arsenal Stainless Steel Electronic Caliper from Midway last month, on sale for $19.99. Love it! Definitely not a toy. Makes measuring OAL & setting seating die go much, much faster. Digital readout give me confidence that I did not misread the dial.

Good shooting.....Rod.
I agree 100%. The more time-efficient you are when reloading, the more enjoyable it seems.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:22 AM
Banned

$15 for a standard caliper here, and use it all the time. Unless you/re measuring to 1000/inch I see no reason to spend more for a electronic as a standard mechanical easily measures to 100/inch.