1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > General Gun Discussion

Old 11-28-2005, 05:37 PM

Best 1911 under $700??

My son has decided to buy himself a 1911 in .45. He is in one city and I am in another, quite a ways away, so I am trying to give him advice via long distance. I shoot a Springfield Armory loaded, which has been significantly upgraded since I bought it. I honestly haven't kept up with all the new pistol options (Nighthawk, etc) since I bought and customized mine, so I need the forum's best advice here.

What, in your opinion, would be his best choice at or under $700? He could go up a bit if I help him, so if there is something great just over that figure, please let me know. New or used, assuming NRA VG. Full size or Commander profile if you please.

He wants this pistol primarily for home-based self defense, and probably will not carry initially, but will work with it at the range to become proficient.

Thanks!

Old 11-28-2005, 06:57 PM

Blued, fullsize Colt 1991 can be had for under $700. Least amount of MIM parts and the best bluing job on a factory pistol I have seen. Accurate and dependable, I have a few.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:11 PM
Administrator

If it's his first 1911 I agree on a Colt 1991. It may not be flashy, but at least it'll probably work. Now that Kimber seems to be abandoning (finally!) their flawed external extractor system a baseline Custom II with the internal extractor might be another good option.
Try not to fall into the common trap of wanting to replace everything on your new 1911 just to make it "better". Know what you're changing out, and why. You may spend a lot of money fixing things that weren't broken to begin with. Shoot it for at least 500 rounds, then decide what you don't like and want improved. Vintage 1911's should NEVER be refinished or modified because it ruins any value they had as a collectible firearm.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:12 PM

Springfield.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:28 PM

Definately Smith & Wesson 1911, blued or stainless. You can find them for around $700, and they're probably the best stock out of the box 1911 going right now for the price. Reliable, feel nice in the hand, and excellent customer service from S&W. Read some of the comments on the S&W section of this board.

I love my Colt 1991, but if I had it to do over, I'd have gone with the S&W.

Best,
Christopher
Old 11-28-2005, 07:40 PM

Springfield Armory fullsize loaded parkerized.

I got mine - with night sights - $669. I replaced a few parts for a few bucks, added Alumagrips - put it around $700. The gun has ambi safety as well (which I removed), just mentioning it in case your son is left-handed.

A Springfield Armory Mil-spec would also be advisable. You can likely get one for WELL under $700. Those guns are a hell of a value.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:42 PM

Definately a Springfield. LIFETIME warranty. Great Firearm.