1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Other Firearms & Tools > General Rifles and Shotguns

Old 11-10-2005, 08:06 AM

MechTech .38 Super Carbine

Will be attaching some pictiures of two MechTech Carbine Conversions that I have.

The one set up with a scout scope is one of the first .38 Supers that Mechtech made. It is equiped with their accessory sight rail, nylon buttstock cover and 2-6 power Bushnell pistol scope in Weaver SeeThru mounts. There is about 50' of para cord wrapped around the stock under the cover to eliminate the "twang" of the metal stock when firing.

The Conversion with the wood furniture was just purched on eBay. On top is a Pentax 4 power scope on Weaver Seethru tipoff mounts. One has to use Seethru mounts to rise the scope to proper height just like one would have to do with an AR15 flat-top.

Target 1 was at 25 yards while sighting in the new Conversion. The gun will basically cut a one hole group at 25 yards...and this was just shooting over a pile of sand bags with my left hand under the forend and the rear unsupported on my shoulder.

Target 2 was shot at 50 yards. The three shots above the group were sighters. The group is 1.25" center to center.

Target 2A is the same target after being shot with some 9x23 Winchester. The aiming point is the target BELOW the initial group. The 9x23s shot about 14" higher than POA. They are the ones marked with a blue pen.

Target 3 (next page) was shot with the older scout scoped Conversion. That unit is sighted in with some 124 grain handloads. This ammo is loaded with 150 grain bullets. The group below the target marked with blue pen is the same gun using the 9x23 Winchester aiming at the larger target on the bottom. Still shooting high but not as high as the newer Conversion.

I have fired over 500 rounds from the scout Conversion and no malfunctions of any kind with either Super or 9x23. There were no malfunctions yesterday when using good quality magazines. There are 15 and 20 round magazines on the market of very poor quality. Two brand new ones came with the new conversion...one blew the bottom out as soon as it was loaded with 18 rounds....the other didn't seat correctly and didn't let the bolt go all the way into battery...the result was a blown case head.... These pieces of crap are marked Colt on the bottom right down to the Pony but are FAKES. The bags are marked "National Magazine SKU P20-0019" date of manufacture 09-02-05.

These units are realiable and accurate and I would not hessitate to use one of these for personal defense.

Next time out I hope to shoot them at 100 and 200 yards and chrongraph the ammo.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
MechTech 1_0011.jpg   MechTeck 2_0012.jpg   MechTech Target 1_0013.jpg   MechTech target 2_0014.jpg   MechTech target 2A_0015.jpg  

Last edited by SuperMan; 11-10-2005 at 08:28 AM.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:08 AM

Last target....

This target #3.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
MechTech target 3_0017.jpg  
Old 11-11-2005, 07:44 AM

Nice set-up. I really like the CCU's. Mine is .45ACP, and I can't get reliable mags over ten rounds, either. I have considered getting another in a different caliber.

Does the para-cord help with the twang? I put the M4 stock on mine and it still "twangs" a little. I'm beginning to think it has more to do with the recoil spring than the stock.

I think you've seen mine, but here it is again :
Attached Thumbnails
CCU1.jpg  
Old 11-11-2005, 07:54 AM

Yes, I have seen your "nasty" carbine before....very nice setup.

The paracord did help with the "twang". I wrapped it in a "X" pattern starting at the receiver end of the stock and worked out then placed the cover over it. It may have something to do with the recoil spring also but I'm bot sure what kind they use...a large coiled one like in an AR or a small one like the main spring in a 1911..not the recoil spring.

Bob
Old 11-11-2005, 08:22 AM

I have taken mine apart.

Did you or perhaps your parents/grandparents have the old wooden screen doors on your house? If you know what I'm talking about, that is what the recoil spring reminds me of. It even has little hooks on each end to secure it in the action.

This is the only part of the CCU that has concerned me. However, it has worked fine, so it probably isn't a problem.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:40 PM

..so it stretches rather than compresses...how interesting....seems to work however.

Bob