1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 10-12-2005, 01:56 PM

Will external extractor values Plunge?

So if Kimber DOES return to using Internal extractors how do you guys predict it will effect the resale value of those guns made with external extractors?

The Urban Bunker - a web log. Visitors & comments welcome. http://originalorangutan.blogspot.com

A website for writers, artists, and anyone with imagination: www.follyfolio.com
Old 10-12-2005, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
So if Kimber DOES return to using Internal extractors how do you guys predict it will effect the resale value of those guns made with external extractors?
I think the external extractor equipped guns will become worthless. Anybody that has one should just send it to me know so I can dispose of it properly.

Seriously though, I don't think it will have much effect. I'll wager that there are plenty of happy Kimber owners that have never once read a gun related internet forum and have no knowledge of any problems with their guns.
If you've got one that runs 100% great, if not then send it back to Kimber. If the extractor cannot be fixed then MAYBE Kimber would replace the slide with an internal extractor model.
Old 10-12-2005, 02:11 PM

IMHO the guns should retain their value, possibly even gain some because of the difference of extractor, as they get rarer. And as long as Kimber will either keep fixing them or replace the slide with an internal extractor you can't lose. I have an external which shoots fine and will keep it and use it until such a time as the extractor doesn't work or Kimber recalls it (which I doubt) or they still will repair if needed. No Worrys!!!

RC
Old 10-12-2005, 02:19 PM

MMmmmmmmmm

I think it is hard to say at this point. Many buyers out there probably don't really care whether it has an inny or an outy.
To some it matters a lot that it only has an internal.
Depending how many external extractor Kimbers are already distributed to consumers the value could actually increase over time.
Some who HATE the external will disagree as they would not buy an outy no matter the price.
I have one of each and they both shoot as advertised.
I do think the internal is a cleaner looking 1911 though and would purchase one with the internal if given the choice.
Wisdom or money can get you almost anything, but its important to know that only wisdom can save your life. Ecclesiastes 7:12
Old 10-12-2005, 03:12 PM

That's the loaded question!

Given the popularity of other auto pistols that have borrowed heavily from John Browning's design I'd have to say that at the very least those Kimbers with ex-extractors that work as they should will at least retain their value. Mine is getting picked up tomorrow and hopefully Kimber will exchange out the slide to an internal extractor. The only reason this matters to me is on my Kimber after over 500 rounds for break-in mine failed to eject/ extract 5 times out of one box of 50 ball. 10% fail is just too high IMHO for something that I'm using to possibly bet my life on. I think I'd never have any faith in Kimber's ex extractor, at least on my current TLE II.

All that said John Browning's later design the Browing Hi-Power has an external extractor that works (or at least it has on my Hi-power), so it's not that ex extractors don't work. It's just that Kimber's does not in all cases. On the plus side of ex-ex. Kimber style is their thoughtfull chamber loaded indicator built into it. I can see that as a big selling point to some LEA's knowing full well that not all LEO's become intimate with their firearms like I would think most of the members of this forum do. (BTDT, used to have the badge; now all I got is a cert for my wall!)
Old 10-12-2005, 03:46 PM

Me thinks too much is made of the external extractor by too few.
The value of these firearms will increase ten-fold.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:31 PM

Will models w/external extractors plunge? I hope so. I would love to pick up another one, and cheap is good...
Old 10-12-2005, 05:01 PM

Me too!

Yes, I think those pistols with external extractors suck. They will shortly be worthless junk. Before you sell it as worthless junk, please PM me with your asking price. I'll give you at least % 25 of the original value so you don't take a total loss. I need a mate for my lonely external extractor model. Then I would have two pistols that suck and they will be very happy together...
Old 10-12-2005, 05:07 PM

Black Wallnut,

Neither Mr Browning's design of the BHP nor D. Saive's rehash included an external extractor. That was added years later by the bean counters. It just took a while for them to catch up with the 1911.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:15 PM

Will external extractor values Plunge?

Will they? Heck, for me the value did plunge. I go to a show and pick up a Kimber and when I see the external extractor, I drop it like a hot rock. I say good riddance to things that don't work. I know, some work fine, I just don't want a crap shoot when is comes to my 1911's running. The external extractor is an answer to a question that no body asked. The old stuff works just fine.
Old 10-12-2005, 07:30 PM

I think to anyone educated with Kimbers problems they will not sell at all.

To an uneducated new gun buyer, I think he will not have a clue and the gun store more than likley will not fill him in.

There are much more gun buyers out there that are uneducated than us 1911forum freaks!

That is if Kimber does go back to the way it should have stayed with the proven in-ex.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Watson
Black Wallnut,

Neither Mr Browning's design of the BHP nor D. Saive's rehash included an external extractor. That was added years later by the bean counters. It just took a while for them to catch up with the 1911.

I did not know that, thanks for clearing that up. My point that Browning got it right still stands though, at least with my HP; never a FTE/E.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsacca
.....The value of these firearms will increase ten-fold.
Too funny.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsacca

.....The value of these firearms will increase ten-fold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45auto
Too funny.
It could happen. Just imagine another Clinton administration. When they started in 1993 I had a bunch of Glock 23 magazines that I purchased for about $10 each. When they left office, these magazines cost over $80 each.

I never want to see that kind of inflation again.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:50 AM

I'd wager Kimber keeps several models with the external extractor and others with the internal.

If they perfected it, whether it costs more than an internal or not, it would be foolish to replace all the models IMHO. Some people like externals, they "grew up" with them(other makes) and it would look bad to "intimate" that the external didn't pan out.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:05 AM

I would personally guess that the external extractor models would probably dip a little on the re-sale value. But I don't think there is really any chance of them increasing in value due to them becoming a "rarity". Just because something is rare, doesn't by it self, make the item increase in value. It usually has to be a sought-after item, too, in the first place. That's why a car, like say a '69 Corvette will still bring quite a bit of money today. It was a very desireable car to begin with. A '73 Pinto, on the other hand, was never a very sough-after car. So, if it suddenly bacame known that only about 100 '73 Pinto's were left in existance, the value of those remaining 100 would not likely increase.

But the reason I would "guess" the external extractor models would dip a little, but not alot, is because I would bet that not alot of people are very clued in to the problems people are having with them. If more people knew about the problem, or it was a more wide-spread problem, then I would guess they would drop significantly.

Just my personal theory on the question.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:22 PM

My first Kimber was an external extractor model Gold Match. After sending it back to Kimber three times for extracting problems, Kimber finally replaced it with a new gun -- one with an INTERNAL extractor. IMHO, the values of the external extractor model will go down. I personally would not ever consider purchasing another one. My second Kimber purchase had an internal extractor and it's never had any feeding/extracting problems (although it did have problems that Kimber took care of with one trip back to the factory).

Kind of too bad, because I thought Kimber's external extractor design was the best looking out of all of the designs out there. I think the S&W design is cosmetically ugly, but from the sounds of it, it actually works!

Tedster