1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 10-14-2005, 08:44 PM

Trigger replacement

I'm going through my Kimbers adding stuff and doing a bit of customizing and would like to install a smooth trigger in place of the stock serrated one. Are 1911 triggers standard? Is this something I can do myself? Any recommendations?
Thanks
Old 10-15-2005, 01:56 PM

Yes, it is something you can do yourself and I recommend you buy Jerry Kuhnhausen's books THE COLT .45 AUTOMATIC, VOL. I and THE U.S. M1911/M1911A1 PISTOLS A SHOP MANUAL.

Last edited by imashooter2; 10-15-2005 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:27 PM

No, not all 1911 triggers are 'standard' - in the sense that you can simply swap the old with a new one.

Yes, you can do this yourself, depending on how good you are at stuff like this, and how well you prep before starting the job.

See the attached picture I put together. The colored arrows indicate most of the places that might need adjustment in order to properly fit a new trigger. Physically installing it will be easy, getting it to work properly is the key.

Depending on the new trigger you get:

- At the red arrows, you might have to remove material/polish this area to get the shoe to clear in the top and bottom of the frame

- At the light blue arrow, you might have ensure that the angle and front to back position is correct

- At the dark blue arrows, you might have to polish the bow surface, adjust the shape of the bow (Brownell's sells a shaping block), or adjust the width of the bow to get the trigger to slide freely in the frame slots

- At the green arrow, you will have to properly adjust the overtravel screw - if not, properly done, it could cause an unsafe condition.

I would recommend that you get Jerry Kuhnhausen's Shop Manual #1 and possibly #2 (Brownell's sells these also) and read up on the subject.

It's not difficult to do, just easy to mess up.

Hope this helps.

CPTB
Attached Thumbnails
trigger.jpg  
Old 10-15-2005, 03:04 PM

Thanks alot, it looks like I'll need to get that book. This appears to be something I can do, I'm fairly handy and not too scared to screw something up (it wouldn't be the first time)
Thanks alot guys