1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > 1911 Manufacturers > Kimber

Old 10-13-2005, 11:32 PM

Most accurate model Kimber?

The title pretty much says it all. After putting up with a BHP with a slew of trigger problems and a slide that rattles on the frame, I'm looking to buy a 1911. So far the Kimber's seem to fit me the best of the 1911's I've tried. I'm leaning towards a full size steel frame without target sights. So now the question is which of the Kimber models is the most accurate?
Old 10-14-2005, 03:02 AM

Most accurate: Super Match.

W/O target sights: Custom shop gun: Gold Combat and GC RL

Regards,
Greyson
Old 10-14-2005, 08:43 AM

you may already know this and if so just ignore, but:

along with that very fine Kimber, factor in the shooter and some serious shooting time getting to know your gun along with what ammo and loads it will shoot well (accurate and consistant). a couple weeks back i watched a basic Kimber Custom II outshoot a precision custom built with a known reputation for superb accuracy, probably because of the ammo being used.

i would have expected the custom to have run circles around that basic Kimber (which was mine be the way) if the guy with the custom had been using his usual loads. as it was we were both shooting off the shelf S&B 230 gr. FMJ to make them "ammo even" in a head to head "just for fun of it" shoot. the Kimber loved the S&B while the other gun apparently did not from the looks of the results. if i remember right the gentlemen with the custom gun normally uses his own hand loaded ammo that was different from the 230 gr. FMJ. i believe it was like 185 gr. with a SWC, but not completely sure on that.

i would expect any really fine gun, like what you are considering, to shoot it's actual best when matched to the right ammo which draws out the accuracy and consistancy that the gun is capable of.

now having said all that, i shoot for defensive purposes so putting rounds COM at 7, 12, 15, and 25 yards out is all that matters to me which means my Custom II and the S&B stock ammo are just fine for how i shoot. i do shoot the slow accurate kind of shooting now and again....but not that often.

enjoy that new gun.

be safe, shoot well.

Last edited by mitrod3; 10-14-2005 at 08:46 AM.