1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > Applications > Tactics & Personal Defense

Old 05-24-2001, 07:58 PM

Orvis travel vest sizing?

Several people suggested Orvis manufactured vests for concealed carry. I've been looking for a vest long enough to carry OWB, but I don't like the styling of the Concealed Carry Clothiers vests. The Orvis Travel Vest, as depicted in Gunsite's pro-shop online catalog, seems like it might be long enough. Has anyone used one of these who would care to comment?

Thanks much.

Greg

------------------
Greg Stephens
http://voltaire.is.tcu.edu/~stephens
Old 05-25-2001, 11:40 AM

They're great. I wear a 48 or 50 long suitcoat, so I wear a XXL Orvis vest. It comes down far enough to basically cover my butt. I think teh CC Clothiers vest look pretty bland and style-less (JMO).

I once gave a presentation on CCW wearing jeans, polo shirt, and said vest. Under it I had a double shoulder rig with a pair of SIGs, a Kimber compact strongside, an Ultra Carry cross-draw, a full-size 1911 SOB/IWB, a Tomcat in the right pocket, and a S&W M60 in an ankle holster. You couldn't tell I had anything on me (I didn't even clank).

IRL, I trade off most of the artillery for a couple spare mags, cell phone, pepper spray, Palm Pilot, Leatherman, BM AFCK, cigar case, etc. I usually carry either in a shoulder rig or strongside beltslide.

It also works fine as a travel vest (it does hold a lot of stuff). I sometimes wear a small camera or walkman and look quite convincing a s a dorky tourista. HTH, M2
Old 05-25-2001, 12:01 PM

You can conceal a lot in those vests. I can get away with XL, but have a 46 coat.

Be sure you actually use the pockets. Like fanny packs, the vests look funny when people don't use the features. I always have a cell phone, pocket knife, scorpion light, travel pack of facial tissues, etc. somewhere in mine. I have a kid as well and the extra pockets help with carry a spare diaper, milk bottle, etc. etc. I can do the mall thing with the family and us never need a diaper bag because it is all in the vest, and the vest is concealing my gun and spare mag as will.

You can do OWB, but remember, you do risk exposure when you bend over, depending on what type of OWB holster you have for what size of gun and whether it is low ride or high ride. A high ride holster with a smaller gun would be no problem at all. A full size 1911 in a low ride holster should not pose a problem sitting down, but bending over might provide a few peeks.
Old 05-25-2001, 02:40 PM

Double Naught Spy,

I love it!! I have five kids, youngest is six now, but I never thought of getting a concealed baby stuff vest (LOL). What a great way to drag all that stuff along .

I wear a 42 regular coat, and I called Orvis and the nice lady who answered told me that size vest is 31" long from the bottom of the collar in back, to the bottom edge of the vest. I compared with my hawaiian shirt, which is plenty long for concealment, and it is only 30", so I think it will work fine.

Thanks for the reply from you and others.

Greg

------------------
Greg Stephens
http://voltaire.is.tcu.edu/~stephens