1911Forum
Forum   Reviews   Rules   Legal   Site Supporters & Donations   Advertise

Go Back   1911Forum > General > Range Reports

Old 05-31-2012, 10:30 PM

Well I just the other day purchased a Noveske Rogue Hunter 16" stainless.

My intention is to place perhaps a 1X4 Nightforce scope on it. Or perhaps an Elcan Spector or S&B short dot depending on finances. However in the interim, I just wanted to try the rifle out.
I was able to dig out an older Leupold 4X scope out of my spare parts and went to give this gun a workout.

Well to begin with I tried some Privi Partsan 62 grain ball ammo just to get on paper. Well that was about as far as I got with this ammo, on paper. This is interesting as my 1 in 9 inch S&W guns love this stuff.
Anyway from there we went to some Black hills stuff that I had. I had some Black Hills 75 grain BTHP remanufactured (once fired brass according to Black hills ). That started to get us in the place where I like to be.
Anyway we ran through that, (my wife and I). With fairly satisfactory results.
But I really was looking for a little better performance.
Well we then went to some Black hills 68 grain BTHP new ammo. Things tightened up quite a bit at this point.
I will post a picture or two of my best 14 round target at 104 yards off of a bench using the 4x Leupold. I know that this is no great shakes to serious shooters. I would not consider myself a serious shooter compared to a lot of shooters that I know frequent this forum. The actual target that I am going to show, well I can shoot better groups with my Smith and Wesson performance center gun. Then again This gun wears a S&B 12X scope.
At any rate I am happy with the gun. I am certain that the spread in the group is at least as much shooter error as anything else

Last edited by USMM guy; 08-07-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:54 AM

The PRIVI has been a disapointment for me across the board. Especially the higher priced Match Grade. Their various 55 gr FMJ offerings shot better than their Match grade.

The Black Hills 75 gr Match has been acccurate in all of my 1 in 7" twist rifles. Never tried it in anything else.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:06 PM

he Black hills has always performed very well for me.

Usually I can not tell the difference between the remanufactured 68 grain BTHP remanufactured and the 75 grain match new ammo. But the Noveske definately likes the 75 grain new stuff better.
Interesting on the Privi Patisan stuff it was all over the place out of the Noveske. However it performs pretty well out of my 1 in 9 twist S&Ws. I would not take it to a gun fight, but it is good for practice. Today I might try to find some of that TSX ammo that everybody is talking about and see how I like it.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:31 PM

To me, both the rifle and the groups looked pretty good....
Old 06-13-2012, 07:31 PM

Nice rifle. The BH 75 gr work well for me in my 1:7 barrels. I'm loading 62 TSX though and like it even better.

PS: get the Elcan. You won't be sorry.
COTEP #0381
"I have one simple request... and that is to have sharks with fricking laser beams attached to their heads!"
--Dr. Evil
Old 06-13-2012, 08:25 PM

I hear you on both counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGun View Post
Nice rifle. The BH 75 gr work well for me in my 1:7 barrels. I'm loading 62 TSX though and like it even better.

PS: get the Elcan. You won't be sorry.
I am planning on picking up some TSX as well as some other high quality ammo next week. As far as the Elcan is concerned. I hear you on this loud and clear as well. It may not happen right away. But I am taking a serious look at those puppies.